Books on the Nightstand discussion

Edgar Allan Poe
This topic is about Edgar Allan Poe
Crime Fiction Read-Along > March 2012: The Murders at the Rue Morgue/Edgar Allan Poe

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Chatter away here..

message 2: by melodie (new)

melodie b | 305 comments can you have the link to the website so we can chatter both

message 3: by Ann (new)

Yes, we will. It's not up yet, so we don't know the URL, but we wanted to give people enough time to read.

message 4: by melodie (new)

melodie b | 305 comments thank so much for the info

message 5: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments Here is the link to the story on Project Gutenberg, in case anyone would like to read it online:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2147/2...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I dnloaded The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (Barnes & Noble Classic) onto my nook last night. The Murders in the Rue Morgue is only eleven pages long! Interestingly, it's the first of three Dupin stories that Poe wrote. The second story, The Mystery of Marie Roget, wasn't in the book so I did go to Gutenberg for a copy of that. The Purloined Letter is the third in the "series" and is included in the "Essential Tales." Why the first and the third stories were included and not the second (which is billed as the sequel to "Rue Morgue") I can't figure out, but there it is. I know we're only reading the first-in-series for the read-along; but I'll probably indulge anyway :-)

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 59 comments I like this idea of a "crime fiction read-along" and downloaded the audio from my library. I've never read Edgar Allen Poe and don't know what to expect. I like starting off with something small. I'm dipping my toes in...

message 8: by Shinke (new)

Shinke | 15 comments I was intrigued by this as I liked mysteries when I was younger and have downloaded the audiobook. Thanks for putting up the link Ann & Michael. :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Tanya/dog eared copy wrote: "I dnloaded The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (Barnes & Noble Classic) onto my nook last night. The Murders in the Rue Morgue is only eleven pages long! Interestingly, it's the first ..."

Thanks for that mention Tanya, I saw your message and quickly checked my nook and sure enough I have it. Last year when I bought my nook B&N were offering a bunch of classics for free so I downloaded many and sadly forgot about them.

I'm all set for March and look forward to participating!

message 10: by Shinke (new)

Shinke | 15 comments I read this today and liked it a lot. He's very Sherlock Holmes like. :)

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (Vicki_c) | 359 comments I just finished. I think I read this before because it all seemed familiar. Probably in college. I can't say the story did much for me though. And I agree, it was very Sherlock Holmes-like.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori (much2busy) | 23 comments I haven't read this since high school and then I only read The Murders in the Rue Morgue. Thanks, Tanya, for the info on the series. Leaving out the "sequel" from a series doesn't make much sense to me. I'm looking forward to revisiting Poe especially with a read-along. Thanks Ann for making this available.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 17 comments Starting a read-along with a short story like this is just the on ramp I need to start. I'm excited to see what the rest are!

message 14: by Shinke (new)

Shinke | 15 comments Sarah wrote: "Starting a read-along with a short story like this is just the on ramp I need to start. I'm excited to see what the rest are!"

Me too! :)

message 15: by tasha (new)

tasha I'm ready to go!

message 16: by Ann (new)

We're still waiting on the URL, but will post it as soon as we have it.

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 94 comments Just picked up my copy of the collected works of Edgar Allen Poe at the library and will be reading "Murders in the Rue Morgue" this afternoon!

message 18: by Jana (new)

Jana (Jazziegirl2010) | 309 comments Just tracked down my copy. I'm in!

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise | 66 comments Found a copy on my... (you'll never guess) bookshelves. I'm in.

message 20: by Kate (last edited Mar 04, 2012 02:05PM) (new)

Kate | 269 comments I finished it last night and my copy also came from my bookshelves!

message 21: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 2 comments Amazingly I found my copy on my bookshelf as well ! Ready to get started!

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara (sjhnchi) | 26 comments Any update on the URL for "Murders in the Rue Morgue"?

message 23: by Ann (new)

We should have some news soon.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
The Rue Morgue discussion will happen here and at Books on the Nightstand. The Soho Blog is running behind schedule, and we are thrilled to step in and provide a place for the discussion!

First post just went up:

http://booksonthenightstand.com/2012/...

Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀  | 7 comments I read this back in middle school when I was on my Edgar Allan Poe kick and am eager to revisit it with a bit of "aged" perspective! Can't wait to see what others think of it.

message 26: by Juliet (new)

Juliet (bayridgebookaddict) | 10 comments Sarah wrote: "Starting a read-along with a short story like this is just the on ramp I need to start. I'm excited to see what the rest are!"

Shinke wrote: "I read this today and liked it a lot. He's very Sherlock Holmes like. :)"

Ha! Excellent. Then my nefarious plan to rope people in has worked :)

Juliet (Soho Crime editor)

message 27: by Marné (new)

Marné (heylucy) | 21 comments I just started reading, but the mention of a clew reminded me of a video I came across just the other day. I thought others might enjoy this as well: http://www.mysteriesofvernacular.com/

message 28: by Jaime (last edited Mar 20, 2012 09:09AM) (new)

Jaime Brown (iamjanesheart) | 2 comments I finished last night and loved it. I haven't read any classic crime stories and haven't read Poe in 10 years. Juliet's point regarding picking up references to these classic tales in contemporary fiction has already come to light in my reading. While reading, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore I found a reference to this work. That is so awesome.

I can't wait to see what is next.

message 29: by Juliet (new)

Juliet (bayridgebookaddict) | 10 comments Jaime wrote: "I finished last night and loved it. I haven't read any classic crime stories and haven't read Poe in 10 years. Juliet's point regarding picking up references to these classic tales in contemporary ..."

The allusions/connectivity among crime stories are great, aren't they? I think BotN are going to reveal the read-along post really shortly, so I won't give away the surprise, but let me say I was REALLY excited when I was reading the next read-along title and found one of the characters actually telling the other how much he admired Poe's character Dupin. I was like, this justifies this whole project :)

message 30: by Helen (new)

Helen | 25 comments Good discussion on the Books on the Nightstand Soho Crime Read along. Looking forward to next months!

message 31: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Brown (iamjanesheart) | 2 comments Woohoo the next book was announced on the BOTNS blog!

I have to read it because I loved the short story A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman. Obviously another connection to class crime fiction.

message 32: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) Where is the BOTNS blog???

message 33: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2503 comments Mod
JoLene wrote: "Where is the BOTNS blog???"

http://booksonthenightstand.com/

You have to scroll down to March 22.

message 34: by Juliet (new)

Juliet (bayridgebookaddict) | 10 comments Jaime wrote: "Woohoo the next book was announced on the BOTNS blog!

I have to read it because I loved the short story A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman. Obviously another connection to class crime fiction."

I'd never heard of this--thanks for the rec, Jaime! I've just downloaded the story to read. Another great genre connection indeed!