Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Jennifer Estep
This topic is about Jennifer Estep
Series Discussions > Elemental Assassin - Jennifer Estep

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Apr 01, 2013 11:59AM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Talk about the amazing series Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep.

Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) by Jennifer Estep Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3) by Jennifer Estep Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4) by Jennifer Estep Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5) by Jennifer Estep By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6) by Jennifer Estep Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7) by Jennifer Estep Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8) by Jennifer Estep

message 2: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 143 comments I haven't started this series yet but I just bought the books so I will be starting it soon.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments So far I've only read book 1, but I've been faithfully buying each book since. It's an amazing sereies.

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 155 comments I've read all of them. They are pretty good. Gin is awesome character. Can't wait for the next one.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Hmmm . . . does the series end on a pretty good note where its at? I've been holding off reading them becuase I don't want to get stalk on a huge cliffhanger.

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 155 comments Yes, if I remember correctly. I think the main issue was cleared up by the last book. And I'm curious to see where she is going to go now.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Oooo, now I don't have any excuses!!

message 9: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere FYI:
Thread of Death (Prequel) in the Elemental Assassins Series by Jennifer Esteep is $1.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006...
Thread of Death (Elemental Assassin #5.5) by Jennifer Estep

First Frost (Prequel) in the Mythos Academy Series by Jennifer Estep is $0.99
http://www.amazon.com/First-Frost-Myt...
First Frost (Mythos Academy, #0.5) by Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost (Book 1) in the Mythos Academy Series by Jennifer Estep is $1.99
http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Frost-Myt...
Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) by Jennifer Estep

message 10: by Omi (new)

Omi | 32 comments I have just read spider's bite and enjoyed it. I thought is was really slow to start with and because of that it has taken a few days to get through but I really liked it by the end. I am about to start the second book and am looking forward to it.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments That's funny, I really thought the beginning was fast paced. Maybe because I went into it knowing I'd love it.

message 12: by Omi (new)

Omi | 32 comments I found the characters a bit hard to get into to start with. Gin seemed too cold-hearted to begin with but later in the book you start to see she has more depth but it is all internalized. So although it was why I was slow reading the first half of the book it is also part of the writing that I like the most.

I think now that I like the characters more the rest of the series will seem much better. I found that with the first Hollows book too but the series as a whole is one of my favourites.

message 13: by Dafny (new)

Dafny | 7 comments I got the first four books and started the first novel but had to put it down. unfortunately it seems i lost intrest, its on my list to finish but i find myself bypassing it everytime i finish a book. it seems to be a slow starter,or so I gather from reviews. i only hope i can pick it up again.

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 155 comments I love this series. Gin is so kick ass. Read on, she has a heart and a backstory that explains her additude.

message 15: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 143 comments I really enjoyed the first book. I thought it was fun and actually found it refreshing that Gin wasn't a bleeding heart. I plan to read book 2 later this month.

message 16: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla (ppomeroy72) | 364 comments Dafny wrote: "I got the first four books and started the first novel but had to put it down. unfortunately it seems i lost intrest, its on my list to finish but i find myself bypassing it everytime i finish a ..."

I have read the first three books in the series. I, too, had a hard time with the first one, but I persevered. It does get better.

message 17: by Kimi (new)

Kimi (kimisokool) | 22 comments I've read all of the books so far. The plot is pretty awesome and Gin is a bad ass. The only thing about this author is she is super repetitive. To the point of annoyance at times, where you just need to skip some paragraphs. Her internal monologue can be a bit annoying as well.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments So excited that the second book, Web of Lies, is one of our reads for March 2013!

It's clear we all know Gin is an amazing lead. Is there anything that you might change about her, or that you think she needs to grow up about?

Spoilers
Remember to utilize the (view spoiler) tags so that you don't spoil anything for any other readers. Check out the "some html is ok" options on goodreads for details or ask! We've even got a special thread for more details.

Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) by Jennifer Estep

message 19: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 43 comments I've read the first book in this series, but I think I need to reread it. I remember really liking it, but I don't remember a lot of details. I liked the elemental powers, though.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Brianna wrote: "I've read the first book in this series, but I think I need to reread it. I remember really liking it, but I don't remember a lot of details. I liked the elemental powers, though."

Good time to do a re-read! I know I need to.

message 21: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) I liked the second a lot better than the first. The first was a little strange/smarmy when she's going gaga over a guy and she's about to assassinate another. Thought that was weird because if I was about to kill someone, I just don't think I'd be noticing another guy for his physique. But anyway, I'm glad I read onward, the second was quite good!

message 22: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow I'm about to dive into Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep before reading book 2. I'm such a newbie almost all of these series are new to me and I'm liking or loving most of them!! Hopefully this one is a good one too.

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Maria wrote: "I liked the second a lot better than the first. The first was a little strange/smarmy when she's going gaga over a guy and she's about to assassinate another. Thought that was weird because if I ..."

I thought that was weird, too! It was the one thing I didn't like about Spider's Bite. Overall, though, I loved it! I think I'm going to have to buy it. :)

I started Web of Lies just a little bit ago. If it's even better than book 1, I can't wait to get further into it!

message 24: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow finished book 1, thought it was a good start to the series. Going to start Web of lies next! Author did a good job building the main character and the world she lives in. I have high hopes for book 2 with plot line and building on the other characters some more and their relationship with Gin.

message 25: by Jen (last edited Mar 09, 2013 08:59PM) (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments I finished Web of Lies. It was an excellent sequel. Gin still had what I thought were (view spoiler) but they were neither as numerous nor as annoying as I found them to be in the first book. I was also rather glad to see (view spoiler). Owen Grayson seems like a fascinating character (view spoiler). I hope we'll see lots more of him in the next book.

message 26: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Jen wrote: "I finished Web of Lies. It was an excellent sequel. Gin still had what I thought were [spoilers removed] but they were neither as numerous nor as annoying as I found them to be in the first book. I..."

I totally agree with you on EVERY single spoiler! The timing of some of that was just OFF for me in book one and two. Book three was pretty good too, but I didn't like it as well as Book 2, but I won't say why because it would be a spoiler! Still, the woman knows how to write an adventure!!! Well worth the read.

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Maria wrote: "I totally agree with you on EVERY single spoiler! The timing of some of that was just OFF for me in book one and two. Book three was pretty good too, but I didn't like it as well as Book 2..."

I haven't read book 3, yet, but I plan to. :) I only had the first two checked out from the library. I'm waiting to see what the next month's group reads are before reading Venom (and beyond!). If it's selected, I'll read it then. If not, I'll read it anyway!! :D

message 28: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Jen wrote: "Maria wrote: "I totally agree with you on EVERY single spoiler! The timing of some of that was just OFF for me in book one and two. Book three was pretty good too, but I didn't like it as well as B..."
It was quite good. Really there were only a couple of little disappointments, nothing major!

While you're waiting, have you read Demon Hunter and Baby (ignore the cover, it's hardcore UF). Someone had it in the nominations this month. I read it--AWESOME UF. Loved it!!!

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Maria wrote: "While you're waiting, have you read Demon Hunter and Baby (ignore the cover, it's hardcore UF). Someone had it in the nominations this month. I read it--AWESOME UF. Loved it!!! ..."

I haven't read it (hadn't even heard of it!) but I'll go add it to my TBR list right now and then see if the library has it. :) Thanks for the recommendation!!

message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Jen wrote: "Maria wrote: "While you're waiting, have you read Demon Hunter and Baby (ignore the cover, it's hardcore UF). Someone had it in the nominations this month. I read it--AWESOME UF. Loved it!!! ..."
..."

Anytime. It's lendable for Kindle (I know this because I borrowed it.) I don't know about the print version. The author has some trad books out (I have another one of hers, but haven't read it yet.) I couldn't believe how awesome Demon Hunter was!!!

message 31: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow Jen wrote: "I finished Web of Lies. It was an excellent sequel. Gin still had what I thought were [spoilers removed] but they were neither as numerous nor as annoying as I found them to be in the first book. I..."

I agree with these spoilers. At first I wasn't sure if I'd like Owen, but he grew on me quickly. I am totally ready to read more of this series. There were minor things that bugged me like how she would retell things from the first book about the elemental magics and it would be word for word regurgitation of the first book, but it didn't pull me away from liking the characters or the storyline. It was a little slow for me to really get into it but once I did I was cruising through wanting to finish so I can get on to the next quickly. Lol

message 32: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Vera wrote: "There were minor things that bugged me like how she would retell things from the first book about the elemental magics and it would be word for word regurgitation of the first book..."

I don't really remember that, which is probably just one of the benefits from my super-poor memory. I have a vague recollection of reading something that struck me as having been said before, but I can't remember where it was, what was said, or whether I thought at the time if it was something from earlier in Web, or from Spider's.

My bad memory is at times incredibly annoying, but when it comes to reading, I find it incredibly beneficial: it means I can re-read favorites over and over without knowing exactly how we'll reach the conclusion. :-)

message 33: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow Sometimes the recapping is good, especially when I don't read the next book right away, but if I just read it I notice it too much. It wasn't necessarily horrible though, and I could skim past. Still really liked the book. Oh and I thought about how I really like Gin. I have read a few books where the protagonist, especially if they are female, have not come into their powers yet. Most of the the woman is wimpy and scared of her own shadow or snarky and wimpy. Gin is neither of those. She is this survivor that finds a way to use skill and her elemental powers to be kick butt! (view spoiler)

message 34: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments Vera wrote: "I have read a few books where the protagonist, especially if they are female, have not come into their powers yet. Most of the the woman is wimpy and scared of her own shadow or snarky and wimpy. Gin is neither of those..."

I so agree with what you said, Vera, especially the spoiler you wrote about...I loved those scenes!

message 35: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vikiaa) I read this book a while ago and I can't remember everything that happened but I do remember that as soon as I finished this one I ran out to by the next.

I also remember I loved the plot of this book and that the romance of this wasn't as cookie cutter. Where boy meets girl and they fall for eachother. I liked that the main characters romantic interest is complicated. I also enjoyed Gin with her Elemental Powers.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Jen wrote: "Maria wrote: "I totally agree with you on EVERY single spoiler! The timing of some of that was just OFF for me in book one and two. Book three was pretty good too, but I didn't like it as well as B..."

I'll probably read it too next month. I'll update here.

message 37: by Amyiw (last edited Mar 13, 2013 09:38PM) (new)

Amyiw | 171 comments Just got done with Book 1 Spider's Bite and thought it was good but missing something maybe just because it was the first in the series. Still it was a fast read and I'm on to the second book. I saw that there are a lot of shorts that are prequels and one that happens between 1 and 2. They are free reads and have links on the goodreads page to the webpage.

Here are the shorts links

Poison 0.5
http://www.jenniferestep.com/excerpts...
Web of Deceit 0.6
Spider's Bargain 0.7
Web of Death 1.5

I've decided to read them before continuing Web of Lies. I'm just about 10 pages in.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I didn't know that, thanks Amyiw! Maybe I'll do that for me reread!

message 39: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow Thanks for the info Amyiw I think I will read some of those before I read book 3.

message 40: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 171 comments Vera wrote: "Thanks for the info Amyiw I think I will read some of those before I read book 3."

There is also a 2.5 between for you and a 3.5, 3.6, and a 4.5 all free reads and then a novella for purchase at 5.5. Here are links to the 2.5 through 4.5 which are the free reads. and the series link.
http://www.goodreads.com/series/47271...

http://www.jenniferestep.com/excerpts... 2.5
http://www.jenniferestep.com/excerpts... 3.5
http://www.jenniferestep.com/excerpts... 3.6
http://www.jenniferestep.com/spiders-... 4.5

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I started looking at the goodreads series list and there are quite a few short stories to break up the series. Always makes me wonder what makes the author to add them in?

Anywho, thanks for linking those ones too Amyiw!

message 42: by Amyiw (new)

Amyiw | 171 comments Finally finished the second book and liked it better than the first. I think it was because I knew the characters better. I liked the beginning to end and started book three today. I would call it a 4 1/2. I just couldn't give it a 5 because I just don't like these as much as my UF A series of Mercy Thompson or Kate Daniels.

I think it is because the characters aren't quite fleshed out like they are in those series. With Mercy, I feel like I know Adam, Samuel, Bran, Stefan, and some others. With this series, I'm just starting to understand Finn. I certainly don't know Sophia, Jojo, Rosalyn, or any of the others. Also I feel like I'm getting a missing recap too frequently in the book. Other than that, this was an excellent read.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Hmmmmmm . . . I'll have to get a feel for the characters and pay attention to them.

I'm a bit behind on my reading so I probably won't get to this one until next month.

message 44: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow Amyiw I totally agree!

message 45: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) I agree they aren't as good as Andrews or Briggs, but then those are in a class of their own!

Razzy Ron -- Hoh! Hoh! (razzyron) How is the romance and steam factor in this series?

message 47: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) KhmerMamaRon wrote: "How is the romance and steam factor in this series?"

Kind of bizarre. There's a sort of on-again, off-again "romance" but it's more just a sexual attraction thing. In general I found that it got in the way of the story more than anything and it often seemed shoveled in at unlikely times. It's the number one reason I stopped reading the series. It's not overly graphic, but I couldn't appreciate the dysfunctional nature of it.

Razzy Ron -- Hoh! Hoh! (razzyron) Maria wrote: "KhmerMamaRon wrote: "How is the romance and steam factor in this series?"

Kind of bizarre. There's a sort of on-again, off-again "romance" but it's more just a sexual attraction thing. In general..."

Thank you :)

message 49: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Jeffrey | 3 comments Read this book w/ Immersion Reading. AWESOMESAAAAUUUUCE!!!
That voice IS Gin Blanco.

message 50: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 48 comments I read the first 5 books and then felt as though the story was done for me. Though the author has many more after that. I thought I read somewhere that there was only supposed to be 5, but she continued on after it was a hit series (which is fine). But, for me, I didn't care enough about the characters to read another thread of the story. My husband, on the other hand, has the newest one in his hot little hands and has enjoyed the continued story.

« previous 1