Love Inspired Books discussion

Valentines for the romantically challenged

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 1035 comments Mod
This year I'm especially sensitive to the people who don't have significant others, or for whom this is a sad day.

Two of my friends had someone close to them die... one was yesterday, the other was this morning. Someone else close to me filed for divorce yesterday, and we know someone whose divorce was finalized on Valentine's Day.

And for some reason, all of these sad things made me really sad for all the people who see Valentine's Day as a reminder of all the painful things in their lives- the bad marriage, the breakup, the death, the loneliness, and all the icky thoughts that come with being bombarded with messages of other people's happiness.

So if it's a sad day for you, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

What can others do to make a sad Valentine's Day better for those having a hard time?

Dream

message 2: by Ausjenny (last edited Feb 14, 2012 01:05PM) (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments Can you still give a flower or a small gift to them especially single friends or friends who have had a break up. not red but something to show you are thinking of them but not neccesary make a big deal of Valentines day.

(I would love to get something out of the blue)

The other idea may be to take the person out for a coffee, or lunch.

message 3: by Love Inspired (new)

I love those ideas Jenny! And I wish you were in the States, because you're on the list of people I'd like to take out to lunch. Oh, wait, that sounded bad. Not because of Valentine's Day, but just because!
Dream

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments I understand, hey I may be there next year. of course it will be seattle area and Chattanooga area.

Last year in Hawaii it was gobsmacked by the amount of Valentines day stuff out and not an easter egg in sight.
Here from not long after Christmas we have Easter stuff out. been out since early Jan.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Can you still give a flower or a small gift to them especially single friends or friends who have had a break up. not red but something to show you are thinking of them but not neccesary make a big..."

I did that with two of my friends last night. I got them chocolates. One box said "My heart is not for sale!" and the other one said "Kiss Off!" lol One friend had just been through a bad breakup a few months back and the other one had just been recently divorced because he cheated on her 6 months into the marriage. He is now dating one of her bridesmaids, so she is having a hard time too. We were all each other's Valentine's dates and went to a local mom and pop italian restaurant!

message 6: by Love Inspired (new)

I love that Jennifer! What a great idea.

Jenny, we have Easter stuff out now too. Valentine's went up right after Christmas, and Easter went up about a week ago. Ugh. I wish they'd let us get through a holiday before advertising the next. But I guess that's how they make their money.

Dream

message 7: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments Oh we had some easter stuff up at Christmas till the outcry by consumers so they waited til just after New year. The hot cross buns started appearing just after christmas.

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (bookmark_it) The day after Valentine's Day I noticed St Patrick's Day and Easter things side by side in the stores, along with the marked-down Valentine candy.

message 9: by Love Inspired (new)

How could I forget St. Patrick's Day? Yes that stuff is out too!

Dream

message 10: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments What do people do for St Patricks Day and what sort of stuff. Here its mentioned in association with drinking and drinking green beer but thats about it.

message 11: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 20, 2012 05:26PM) (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Ausjenny wrote: "What do people do for St Patricks Day and what sort of stuff. Here its mentioned in association with drinking and drinking green beer but thats about it."

They do that too, turn rivers green(Riverwalk on San Antonio is dyed green) and everyone wears green or you get pinched.

message 12: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 11 comments Valentine's Day is the worst. It just serves as a reminder of the time I was dumped on Valentine's Day, for a co-worker. And how did I find out? He told me he was sending me flowers, but instead he sent her flowers and she put up pictures on Facebook. He wasn't even man enough to tell me himself.

message 13: by Love Inspired (new)

Jenny, that's about all we do here too. :)

Camille, what a JERK!!! I'm sure your friends have already told you this, but you are so much better off without him. You deserve a better guy than that!

Dream

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Camille wrote: "Valentine's Day is the worst. It just serves as a reminder of the time I was dumped on Valentine's Day, for a co-worker. And how did I find out? He told me he was sending me flowers, but instead..."

oh wow...he doesn't deserve you! His loss!

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 27 comments I agree with the others. That guy was a total jerk Camille and it's his loss!!

message 16: by Jean (new)

Jean Gordon (goodreadscomjeancgordon) | 20 comments Ausjenny wrote: "What do people do for St Patricks Day and what sort of stuff. Here its mentioned in association with drinking and drinking green beer but thats about it."

Parades and parties. This year, we're going to a family wedding.

message 17: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 11 comments Oh I quite concur. As it turns out, that was one of his nicer moments. I definitely dodged a bullet there!

message 18: by Love Inspired (new)

Oh, a wedding sounds like a lot of fun. They have a parade here, too, but we've never gone.

Dream

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments I am throwing a baby shower for my best friend on St Patrick's day! Funny thing is, green is not in the colors for the shower!

message 20: by Love Inspired (new)

Too cute Jennifer!!