The Sword and Laser discussion

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1)
This topic is about Twilight
Twilight is Kindle's Daily Deal

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments $2.99, today only.

Happy Valentine's Day.

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Ummm. No. Not even if they paid me to take the book.

message 3: by Napoez3 (new)

Napoez3 | 158 comments I'm kind of curious.... I haven't watch the movies nor read the books.

message 4: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments i just threw up in my mouth a little bit. Excuse me while I wash it out with bleach.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I watched the movie in an attempt to bond with my little sister.

It wasn't worth it.

message 6: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Teenage vampires in Love.
So how much are they paying people to read it?

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments I've read all the books (because I persevered through the first two and decided I may as well finish) and seen all the films that are out, and I can say this;

Twilight is one of the rare situations where the movie adaptation is undoubtedly better than the book...

...and that says a lot about just how bad those books were.

message 8: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Kate wrote: "I watched the movie in an attempt to bond with my little sister.

It wasn't worth it."

I'm in the same boat; only for me it was my 13 yr old niece visiting from California. And then because I love that damn kid so much I subjected my wife and I to the 2nd one the very next night.

So not worth it. Should have made her watch The Princess Bride instead.

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Feb 14, 2012 07:21PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3639 comments Mod
Even free it would be overpriced.

I saw Twilight with my god-daughter.
I thought "It's got vampires and werewolves, how bad could it be?"

Easily the worst movie I paid money to see.
She loved it though.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 493 comments Worse than Van Helsing? Really? Not even worth watching because Kate Beckinsale wears the world's tightest trousers.

Laurel Is it possible Kindle is trying to draw a younger crowd? I teach 11 - 14 year olds, and I'm starting to see ereaders tucked under quite a few arms.

message 12: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3639 comments Mod
Paul 'Pezski' wrote: "Worse than Van Helsing? Really? Not even worth watching because Kate Beckinsale wears the world's tightest trousers."

Twilight was way worse. Van Helsing was bad. but at least it didn't turn the vampires into angst ridden sparkly teenage emos who don't drink human blood.
Plus it had Kate Beckinsale in it wearing the world's tightest trousers ;-)
Also I saw on TV, so it cost me nothing and it had 3 Aussies as major characters.

Shannon (snubs) | 9 comments The movie was bad. The acting was terrible and the special effects (i.e. sparkles) weren't portrayed in a good way.

With that said, the books are decent... If you are a emotional teenage girl who can relate to the relationship problems Bella goes through. If you like vampire books, I'd say give it a read, but make sure to stick it out and read 3 & 4 as they are much better than the first two books.

Obviously the Twilight books don't portray historical vampires in any way, but if you want to give it a chance I'd say ignore the movies and read the books, as the feel of both are very different.

Just my two cents... from a vampire show podcaster :P

message 14: by Nick (last edited Feb 15, 2012 11:09AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Shannon wrote: "If you are a emotional teenage girl"

Wait! Is there any other kind of teenage girl? or teenage boy for that matter?

Hehe. I remember when the world was ending on a daily basis. It is definitely one of the perks of being older that the total number of personal crisis have been reduced.

message 15: by aldenoneil (last edited Feb 15, 2012 11:15AM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Twilight was way worse. Van Helsing was bad. but at leas..."

Ach! Saying Van Helsing is better than anything offends my sensibilities.

I can't speak to the quality of the Twilight books, but I've enjoyed the movies just fine. Meyer's updated the ol' "monster rape" trope and made brilliant use of it by flipping it around. Vampire as angsty teen with blood lust/regular teenage lust has likely been done before, but I hadn't seen it.

Plus, Beckinsale in tight pants works at least passably well in the Underworld series, without the ennui.

message 16: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2521 comments Having the typical Brit sense of humor, I just couldn't resist playing a prank and buying it as a gift for my wife.. LOL Should have seen her face when she turned on her Fire.. priceless.

Wayne McCoy (geekwayne) | 44 comments As the father of a teenage daughter, I had a lot of problems with Twilight. Bella has absolutely no identity without Edward. Edward is a control freak who disables her car and sits in her bedroom all night. And there is one conversation where Edward admits he's bad, and Bella says "I'll make you good." Not the sort of messaging I think we should be sending to teenage girls.

message 18: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Wayne wrote: "As the father of a teenage daughter, I had a lot of problems with Twilight. Bella has absolutely no identity without Edward. Edward is a control freak who disables her car and sits in her bedroom..."

Amen. As the father of 2 pre-school age girls I second this notion. I am going to try and insure my daughters read books with a strong female lead who is a person in her own right and does not depend solely on another for her identity.

That being said my oldest (5 years) is already hanging out in her pre-school with the little boy in her class who is always getting into trouble. WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT? IS IT SOME SORT OF NATURAL EVOLUTIONARY RESPONSE?

Needless to say I probably have my work cut out for me.