Q&A with Nicole Hamlett discussion

How much have you had to scrap?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1 comments When writing your books, how often does it occur that you go back and read something you wrote previously and are so completely dissatisfied with it that you have to scrap it? How much do you lose? Do you find that this occurred more when you were writing Huntress but less so with subsequent works?

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Hamlett (nicolehamlett) | 13 comments Mod
I've probably scrapped over fifty thousand words over the three books. That's not counting all of the stops and starts of Huntress.

I would be surprised if SJ didn't need rogaine at this point. I am getting better at keeping versions of my work and saving as a different file each time I go back and just whack the crap out of the document - but in the beginning it was pretty bad.

I just recently scrapped 13,000 words of Volcanoes the latest novel I'm working on because it was just not what I was looking for. It didn't have the elements that I'd grown to really like about my world and characters so it just got junked.

The good news is that I never feel that the words that were cut were meaningful to the story. I've never stopped and said - Crap, I wish I could have kept that in there. :)

You know, I rewrote Huntress three times I believe. So I definitely haven't had that kind of major re-writing since but I think that's because the story is set now. I'm not playing with it, constantly dissatisfied at where it's headed.

message 3: by sj (new)

sj (essjay42) There were actually some bits that she cut out of Huntress that I made her add to Rifts because they were pretty essential to the story. I recall a flurry of email exchanges filled with things like:

"Crap, do you still have that?"

"Of course I do, you know I never delete anything, I just have to find it now!"

message 4: by Nicole (new)

It's true. She doesn't get rid of anything. She's like a digital packrat and I am grateful. Oh so damn grateful. :)

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 4 comments I think it's a good thing to make sure the story is what the author really wants and likes. I believe this will keep the style (that hooked us in the first story) consistent. I think the worst thing that could happen is if the author tries to write "differently" to suit certain people who may not like the earlier work. There always will be those who don't like something - you can't please everyone. Be true to yourself and those who like your style will always be happy - as will the author. These changes mean that Nicole is putting her best effort into making this book excellent - and I appreciate that!

message 6: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette (bookloverb) I think it would be fun to add a tab on your blog of some of the scrapped parts. Like a bonus deleted scenes part of a Dvd. I would love to read more...

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Unlike the deleted scenes, the stuff I scrap generally is pretty terrible. :) Also, some of it I use for later books. So I wouldn't / couldn't do that. But thank you for the suggestion anyway Bridgette. I always appreciate new ideas. :D