Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Movies and Television > What TV shows are you watching lately?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,369 (1369 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
This thread is to discuss tv viewing in general.

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
I watched "Person of Interest" last night, from last week. The show plateaued for a couple of episodes, but now it seems like it's back on the "going up" grove.

I also watched Fringe... not sure I'm good with the current season's effort, but, I liked the last show! So, that works.

The Finder. It's a knotch better than Psyche, a bout the same as "The Mentalist" but it doesn't have the same built up history that helps "The Mentalist out" yet. Not as good as some of the other more serious cop shows out there (Bones, Person of Interest, etc.)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to see Finder...... since I LOVE Psych and The Mentalist. Is the show on DVD yet?

message 4: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
It's the first season so ...no. No "Finder" on DvD yet. You might find it on Hula.com or in Amazon Prime.

message 5: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Last night's episode of the Finder was entertaining. I love a good alien storyline.

There was a little action and adventure last night while watching American Idol. Steven Tyler stripping down to his underwear and jumpimg into the pool. Now who says TV can't be entertaining? : )

message 6: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

and you didn't go blind?... you know, usually I'm one of those anti-sensorship-guys... but, there are some things that shouldn't be on TV... stripped down Steven Tyler is one of them.

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen No, I didn't go blind. I don't find S. T. at all attractive but he sure didn't look that bad for a guy who will be 64 next month. He does have a zest for life.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
Still watching Person of Interest (though this week is a rerun) and also watching Justified, good show. Not a lot of other action programs I watch except for a couple of "reality shows". I watch Top Shot and Top Gun and now I've started watching Full Metal Jousting.

Planning to see what "Awake" is like, it starts this Thur.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4710 comments Mod
Awake looks good.

message 10: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 234 comments Full metal jousting is ok but they do too much build up and not enough jousting. Looks like fun though!

We have been on a British TV kick lately. Whites, Fades, Bedlam, Torchwood, etc..

As for a show...only five episodes...with NO action whatsoever, I liked "Last Booth on the Left." The entire show, all episodes, take place inside of a diner booth. Sounds stupid but...it works to a point.

Splitter

message 11: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Awake does look promising. I wil check that one out tomorrow.

Since I haven't seen Jousting and would like, too. It does make me think that's something females would never partake in. Running around with a large piece of wood in their hands trying to spear the other person with it.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I saw part of Full Metal Jousting the other night, and a guy had a bad fall and messed up his face. I wasn't in the mood for that kind of pain at the time.

For some reason, face injuries ick me out, especially eye injuries.

message 13: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 234 comments Yeah....I'm pretty sure women are smarter than that. Not me though! They are going to have to make larger armor though...and horses.

Splitter

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

It doesn't look like their armor is tough enough to me. It was like the guy's helmet smushed into his face. Ouch!!!

message 15: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 234 comments Yeah, but football helmets do that too ...we all have a scar on the bridge of our nose lol.

I see too many gaps. Oh...and I am so glad the Marine lost. NOTHING against Marines, thay guy just has issues.

Splitter

message 16: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

That's why I played rugby, no helmet head.

I haven't decided if there's any one of them I'd like to see win. I just like the ones who go on and do it without all the cocky stuff.

I'm more likely to cheer for a given horse. Did you see that one that was so fast last week? I think if the guy hadn't had that horse he'd have been wiped out. LOL

message 18: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 234 comments Rugby? Now I know you are crazy. The bloodiest head gashes in sports that I have seen were all rugby. I mean foreheads laid open...and they kept playing lol.

I think the one theatrical jousting guy is ok...a bit of a surfer type though.

Splitter

message 19: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The bloodiest head gashes I've seen were from Skateboards.

I played Rugby for the Shreveport Rugby football Club (Shreveport Louisiana) LSU, the Chatanooga Choo-choo (for all of 2 weeks), NATO Lions (pick up team in Naples Italy (my come back at 37-38) and by 39 I enjoyed my first knee surgery. Of course, it's not jousting. I was mediocre at best, but it was a lot of fun.

message 20: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (last edited Mar 01, 2012 06:48PM) (new)

Unforgettable was good this week. A tear jerker. Maybe a bit over the top, but it got me misty. Just now watching it.

message 21: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 465 comments The bloodiest head gash I saw was in hockey. Yeah hit in the head with a hockey stick...

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Hockey is an all kinds of crazy game. I had a teacher in school who was missing teeth because of the hockey he played. He was proud of it too!

I saw a fight the other night...and a hockey game broke out!

message 24: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 465 comments Yeah I hate going to fights and hockey matches break out... Thanks for reminding me of that one Mike.

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

My friend was telling me they pick those fights on purpose.

message 26: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'm a BIG hockey fan. I agree sometimes there is senseless fighting and it drives me crazy. Luckily they don't fight as much as they use to and the players are getting back to the finesse of the game.

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I think hockey is one of the few sports I can watch without being bored. I prefer playing sports to watching them, to be honest.

message 28: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Growing up in cold weather, I learned to skate and walk at the same time. My dad would make a ice rink in the backyard ever winter. Needless to say, a hockey game always broke out and no one lost any teeth, lol.

message 29: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 234 comments I think bigger, sharper televisions have helped hockey. Back in the day, with the black tape on the sticks themselves, it was DIFFICULT to watch a hockey game and follow the puck.

To combat that, FOX introduced this nasty little "star with a tail" that would show where the puck was. Gads, it was horrible.

Anyway, I only watch hockey if I can get to the game. When you see a game live, you start to get a good picture of what the other players are doing, not just the guy with the puck. It really is very intricate with all the weaving and positioning.

BTW, I think hockey players are some of the best athletes around. They take a beating and still play a long season.

Sorry, I have been dying to post in this thread and it all came out lol.

Splitter

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Splitter, I am not much of a sports spectator. I've attended football games, basketball games, baseball games, tennis matches, and hockey games, and out of those, I think hockey is the most interesting to watch. I think watching football is one of the most excruciatingly boring things to do on earth (no offense to football fans). The others I listed are interesting to varying degrees. I know some find baseball boring, but I like it a lot. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, and I loved going to see the Cubs play in Wrigley Field.

message 31: by Eileen (new)

Eileen In the olden days it was difficult to watch hockey on the smaller sets. I have to say sometimes bigger is better, I love my 50" HDTV, it has improved the whole viewing exsperience for me.

I remember the star with a tail, that was sooo annoying. I do miss Pierre Buck (?) the animated hockey buck that explained the rules between periods.

Hockey players are amazing athletes, they play 80 games just to make the playoffs then 40 more (give or take) to win the Stanley Cup.

message 32: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 234 comments You don't like football? That is actually my favorite sport to watch. My wife picked it up a few years ago after going to a game and she LOVED the emotion...and violence I think lol. But, the rules are a BIG impediment to new fans because there are so many of them.

It really does look like just a bunch of huge guys running around trying to kill each other, doesn't it?

I am a baseball fan (Splitter is a baseball term...) but I no longer watch MLB. Give me a good Little League or highschool game any day.

On TV shows:

We have really gotten into British show lately. Not much action but the dialogue is FAR better than most American shows.

I am ashamed to say that we have gotten into watching "Mistresses"...a show where no one has any morals and everyone is, therefore, miserable.

Splitter

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Yeah, much to my aunt's sorrow, I hate football.

I love British tv, and I agree that the dialogue and writing is usually better. I had to get my sister to talk me out of watching Mistresses!

message 34: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 234 comments This might go better in the theme song thread, but it's not really a song...it's Andy Griffith on football and it's hilarious (ok, it is to me lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aao29x...

Splitter

message 35: by Eileen (new)

Eileen That's ok you don't like football, Lady D. Not even when all the tight ends line up in a row? lol.

There really isn't a sport I don't like. Our daughter (now in college) has been a cheerleader since second grade and I've been sitting on the sidelines for all types of sporting events.

There's a new British TV series that I watched a few times and they are quit good. Unfortunately I can't remember it's name, like Upstairs Downstairs.

message 36: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Yeah, you'd think the guys in the tight pants would do something for me. Nope!

Are you referring to Downton Abbey by any chance, Eileen?

message 37: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 234 comments I promise you that the pants probably figure into my wife's newfound passion for the game...

My list of recent British shows:
Fades
Bedlam
Torchwood
Whites (canceled, but it was good)

We like the Americanized "Being Human" so we might try the original version too.

Splitter

message 38: by Eileen (new)

Eileen That's it...Downtown Abbey! I'm ging to try and see all the episodes I missed before the next season.

The one I've seen from your list and liked was the British version "Being Human", still haven't seen the American version.

Husband and I are big fans of "Torchwood"

message 39: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
I loved Torchwood and Primeval (wish there were more seasons of each)...I must check out some of the other British shows that were mentioned.

Going back to hockey...favorite hockey movie is Slap Shot with Paul Newman...hilarious!

message 40: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Prime Eval is free if your an Amazon Prime member. I like Prime Eval better than Torchwood. But, Torchwood is good.

Young blood... not sure why they made that movie but Sean Young and Rob Lowe needed something to do I gues.

Rugby, not that's a man's sport. Invictus...great movie, unfortunately so few on this side of "the pond" (Atlantic Ocean) understand why.

message 41: by Janey (new)

Janey | 158 comments Lisa wrote: "I loved Torchwood and Primeval (wish there were more seasons of each)...I must check out some of the other British shows that were mentioned.

There are currently 5 series/seasons of Primeval. I'm just about to watch series 5 as a friend has lent me their boxset.

I also read that there will be a new series of Primeval set in Canada called Primeval: New World.

message 42: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Score one for the Canucks!

I watch them on the Kindle Fire and get them free through Amazon Prime.

message 43: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
Janey wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I loved Torchwood and Primeval (wish there were more seasons of each)...I must check out some of the other British shows that were mentioned.

There are currently 5 series/seasons of Primeval. I'm just about to watch series 5 as a friend has lent me their boxset.

I also read that there will be a new series of Primeval set in Canada called Primeval: New World.
..."

I heard that too, but from what I read, it sounds like a different show with all new characters. I would rather have the current cast continue on.

message 44: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Has anyone watched Ancient Aliens on H2 (History Channel). I got sucked into a marathon...very interesting show.

message 45: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I don't get into the alien shows. It's weird, because I love watching most of the paranormal stuff, but aliens/UFOs just don't connect with me.

message 46: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

I love the history channel. I've seen the Alien/UFO shows. As we cruise into the Fourth of July, they'll start running there "president's" series and the Revolutionary War Series. Love those too.

message 47: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 465 comments I've just finally caught up on my Doctor Who seasons. I had too much other work to do that prohibited my watching series six until now.

Speaking of sport its funny when you guys mention football because to me our football is completely different. Out of the sports in the US that I watch I prefer the basketball of the NBL.

message 48: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 234 comments Australian rules football is awesome and I catch it when I can. I miss the refs in their white coats though :).

Splitter

message 49: by Eileen (new)

Eileen What first sucked me in was the topic the Inca's and the Stone Monuments. The show Anicient Aliens got me thinking about this months read, Excavation. How the Inca's had accomplished what they did, without mondern tools.

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Eileen, there are some interesting questions about ancient achievements that are so precise, that modern people wonder how they did it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28