Chicks On Lit discussion

Happy Anniversary!!!!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Feb 14, 2012 08:43AM) (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
Thank you to each of you. I love Valentine's Day and love that this group was born on that day.

I wanted to update you on the author give away. There just weren't enough authors (living) this year to make a good group available to all of you. With that in mind I love that give away still and will be doing it every other year. So next year I will do it for sure. Please participate in the group reads when you can and that give away will be more important to you too I think.

We have always done a Chicks Give Back on our anniversary. It is my favorite thing to do. This year was really hard for me to think of what to do. I know many of us are still feeling the weight of a slow economic recovery and I really do want what we give back to be more about us than our pocketbooks.

In the past we have done Project Night Night and The Heifer Project. Both of those are great places that are still in existance and still doing great work. Our Heifer site is still open even. (At my house we've been saving our penny jars for a year and are cashing them in today to donate to our chicks)

I've thought of other penny projects and I do encourage them when you can but this year I wanted to encourage something that would make a difference in each of our neighborhoods.

The difficulty comes in finding opportunities that are available on a large scale since we are such a big group and spread out so far.

I found one program I am excited about. They have in person opportunities but also online opportunites for volunteers which fits our group really well. You can donate monitarily but what I really liked were the volunteering availiable inperson and online for our group. Learning Ally formally known as Recording for the Blind and DyslexicFounded in 1948 as Recording for the Blind, Learning Ally serves more than 300,000 K-12, college and graduate students, veterans and lifelong learners – all of whom cannot read standard print due to blindness, visual impairment, dyslexia, or other learning disabilities. Learning Ally’s collection of more than 70,000 digitally recorded textbooks and literature titles – downloadable and accessible on mainstream as well as specialized assistive technology devices – is the largest of its kind in the world. More than 6,000 volunteers across the U.S. help to record and process the educational materials, which students rely on to achieve academic and professional success.

By following the above link you may find locations with opportunities to volunteer in person either Directing, Editing or Reading material. Even if you do not live near a studio you can fill out their online application and find ways to volunteer from home!

If this is something that doesn't work for you or even if it does I would like to also encourage each of us to find opportunities for us to read/volunteer our time to reading to others. Reading to children at schools, libraries, homes for the elderly, hospitals and other local organizations that can always use volunteers.

I think it would be fun to track how many hours we give. If we all even just gave one hour a year that nearly 4,000 hours of reading. I am sure some of us do this already and some of us give in other ways. I'm so happy to be part of a group of women that share their time and talents freely. If you know of other opportunities like this please share them here so we can all find places to share and give back!

Thanks,
Tera

message 2: by Sherin (last edited Feb 14, 2012 10:46AM) (new)

Sherin Punnilath (shery_7) | 3158 comments That's a really noble thing to do.
Happy anniversary,Chicks!!

message 3: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Feb 14, 2012 02:26PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Tera, as always, you are an inspiration! Thank you for that and everything you do here at CoL. Happy Chick-a-versary to you and all Chicks!!!

message 4: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Happy Anniversary! This sounds like a great project. I don't want to take away from the above project but I wanted to mention that back to the Chicks first or second year someone mentioned a group on here called Quilts for Kids. I went to their site and got a couple of their quilt kits to make and send back. Since then I joined a local Quilts for kids group and we meet once a month to sew quilts for seriously ill children that are hospitalized. It has been so so rewarding and I love making quilts so it was a win win situation. I just wanted to thank the Chick than mentioned way back when. ;)

message 5: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
KrisT wrote: "Happy Anniversary! This sounds like a great project. I don't want to take away from the above project but I wanted to mention that back to the Chicks first or second year someone mentioned a group ..."

I have heard from a couple of chicks that got into quilting as a result of that post.
The organization is still going strong. Thought I would share it again with anyone who might be interested. quilts for kids

You can also use the site to see if there is a local chapter near you or how to start one. Although you can still do it on your own at home if there isn't one.

Thanks for sharing KrisT. Would love to see your work!

@Jo wasn't it you who shared a site for knitting scarves for troops?

message 6: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Feb 14, 2012 04:01PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Yes I did! :o) There was also a request for knit helmet liners at one time. Both have specific requirements. It was through the USO - I'll be back a little later with a link when I'm on the pc (vs being on my cell now). I haven't checked recently but I assume they're still asking for scarves & helmet liners since we have many Troops in Afghanistan.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) They've really changed things up!

The USO is no longer doing the scarves/helmet liners project but here is a link to all of their current programs to support our Troops: http://www.uso.org/programs/

They apparently have "Libraries and Reading Rooms" -
"Libraries and reading rooms are available in most USO centers for our troops and their families. There is a take-a- book/leave-a-book policy so you can take a book from one USO center and leave it at the next."

Here is a link to see if there is a Center located near you: http://www.uso.org/Centers/Locate-A-C...

It doesn't say though if just anyone can donate books to these centers so here is a link to their contact form if you're interested in doing so: https://www.uso.org/contact-the-uso.aspx

Here's also information on a project they have, "United Through Reading": http://www.uso.org/united-through-rea...

http://www.unitedthroughreading.org/

http://www.unitedthroughreading.org/a...

Again, I don't know if just anyone can donate books for this program so here is the contact form link if you're interested in doing so: http://www.unitedthroughreading.org/c...

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Here is something anyone can do and you don't have to have a facebook account to do it - send a Thank You card to a Wounded Warrior: http://www.facebook.com/wwpinc.fans?s...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4844 comments I am vision impaired and have a hard time reading standard print. I like to read in large print when I can. I still read physical books and I get lots of use out of my ereader because i can change the font.

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I use Recordings for the Blind at my school and for our students. It is an extremely important organization that will put all their textbooks and classroom novels into the spoken word. I can't tell you how important this is and how wonderful the organization is.

I have also participated in helmet liners and knitting caps for preemies. I have done this through my local knitting store. A lot of the local knitting stores partner up with different organizations.

Also, Special Olympics is doing a red scarf knitting project this year, so that is another organization we can explore in the future.

You are truly amazing Tera and I applaud you in all you do.

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4036 comments I used RFB&D through all of my years in school, including grad school. I would never have graduated without access to recorded texts. I was using their materials when they still came on real to real, now does that date me? How cool to watch my life come full circle with this group. Now Book Share is providing my reading materials for the most part. They also need volunteers to scan and edit books from home for their collection.