Native Son Native Son discussion

native son

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Stephany I'm not done reading it but so far i think it's really interesting. The fact that it's suspenceful is what i like the best.

message 2: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee I'm just starting to read Native Son. Is anyone else currently reading it?

Hiruy it's the best book i ever read .it teaches me how fear controls man.not only fear but all moral elements.moral is beyound our thinking .

Joanne I read it years ago, so depressing.

Phillip Casteel What I love most about the book is how Wright shows the power of language. Particularly in Bigger's inability to articulate his own predicament and emotions. It's an existential punishment heap double upon those dispossessed of education and standing. Not only does Bigger suffer physically for his plight, but existentially because he never had access to the words and meanings that could create understanding and the possibility of the cathartic.
Powerful stuff from a great writer.

QueenAmidala28 Joanne wrote: "I read it years ago, so depressing."
I think you are missing the point of the book, yet I also understand how you see it as depressing. I hope you try to read it again at another point in your life.

Kimberly Hicks My all-time favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird, and when I read Native Son, I was blown away. I didn't think I would ever find a book that would set my emotions on fire, like this novel, but it did. It was wonderfully written and so on point, I couldn't put it down. What an outstanding storyline, and the truth of the story one just couldn't deny. I found this book lying on a table at half price because the bookstore was having a sale for Black History Month, and I remember reading the back flap and thought, ummm this might be good. This book was not good it was great! This book ranks high up on my list. A wonderful story, although sad, but felt so real.