Article 5 (Article 5, #1) Article 5 discussion

Important read.

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mary Not only was this a good read, it will get you thinking about what Americans would do without The Bill of Rights. We are the only country with these Freedoms. Do we take them for granted and when times are tough would we be willing to let those freedoms go?

The Characters are great. Although Ember needs to be less into her own hurt and see Chase's needs.

Megan I can't see us ever getting to that point, but it's an interest take. I agree that Ember should worry more about Chase, but Chase deserves it-at least for the first 2/3rds of the book.

Mary Megan wrote: "I can't see us ever getting to that point, but it's an interest take. I agree that Ember should worry more about Chase, but Chase deserves it-at least for the first 2/3rds of the book."
Megan, when the current President says our founding Fathers made a document that is hard to work with, and most congressional members haven't even read the consistution? We also have no good canidates for President anymore? I'd say we are in trouble. Anyway, Chase was tortured mentally into what he has done and most of all he did was to pretect Ember.

Heather I really enjoyed this book and also saw glimpses of our possible future in it - sadly. Looking forward to book two!

Mary Heather wrote: "I really enjoyed this book and also saw glimpses of our possible future in it - sadly. Looking forward to book two!"

It was sad to see glimpses of our future wasn't it. Looking forward to the next book too maybe a little more romance for Chase and Ember

Megan Liked this book, it was filled with action from the get go. My only issues were w/ Ember. She could be very naive even towards the end and it was obnoxious.

Megan don't get me wrong, i like Chase but the way he acted at the beginning made me want to punch him. I'm really excited for the next one. Its one of the best YA futuristic books that I have read in a while.

Mary Megan wrote: "don't get me wrong, i like Chase but the way he acted at the beginning made me want to punch him. I'm really excited for the next one. Its one of the best YA futuristic books that I have read in a ..."

I understand what you r saying, but it takes a very brave person to hide your true feelings when you need to save someone.

Kimberly Yes I found Ember annoying, whiny and self absorbed. I mean if she loved Chase half as much as she said wouldn't she have a little faith in him? I mean really, how hard would it be to figure out they do something to change the Gaurds? After all he does to save her it's still oh boo-hoo he's not the same OF COURSE HE ISN'T! They screwed around with him, with his mind and his emotions and physically nearly breaking him completely in the process. I'm looking forward to the next one, I really hope they find Rebecca I found myself wishing she was the main character as she had more character than Ember.

Kimberly Kimberly wrote: "Yes I found Ember annoying, whiny and self absorbed. I mean if she loved Chase half as much as she said wouldn't she have a little faith in him? I mean really, how hard would it be to figure out th..."

And yes I think we all (Canadians too) take our rights and freedoms for granted way too much.

rocksann I could not stand Ember. She was annoying & such a brat. I thought she was horrible to Chase.

message 12: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay amazing book

message 13: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay What's up everyone Join the Erudite Readers group if you haven't already its an awesome group. If you join please say that I invited you.

Ilana OMG - i read the whole thing in one sitting yesterday and i have to say that it was really good. there's something to be said about all the 'articles' that you can be charged with breaking when it's really not fault of your own. i like the idea that love trumps all, and that it can be kept PG 13 with feeling forced. i think there's another in the series right? but not coming out til 2013

Julie I really liked this book, possibly one of my favorites. Ember did annoy me a bit, but I think it was because she was so naive in the beginning, and in which she later smartened up. Of course Chase was changed as a soldier- I'm pretty sure he also suffered from PTSD. I'm married to a soldier who was wounded at war and was surprised at how accurate the author was in describng a man who changes after military trauma. The story held my attention on every page and was intense. I definately will read he next book!

message 16: by Beth (last edited May 19, 2012 05:49PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth I didn't get into this book...even though Hagerstown Md. is a town I call home (so that was cool)...but it seemed to come up very short in the dystopian genre that heralds books like Hunger Games, Matched and Divergent. But to the original post question: our country being America denied that native people here those very freedoms outlined by our founding fathers...and sadly, we still deny some other minorities those very rights as well.

message 17: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Beth wrote: "I didn't get into this book...even though Hagerstown Md. is a town I call home (so that was cool)...but it seemed to come up very short in the dystopian genre that heralds books like Hunger Games, ..."

I agree that Native American's, and African American's were denied these rights for so long, but tell me what minority group is being denied their consitutional rights? American Citizen Minorities, please?

message 18: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Julie wrote: "I really liked this book, possibly one of my favorites. Ember did annoy me a bit, but I think it was because she was so naive in the beginning, and in which she later smartened up. Of course Chase ..."

Julie so sorry to here about your husband. My husband is a Veitnam Vet, my father was a WWII Vet, there is great respect in this house hold for the military, but no one can comprehend the horrors of war unless you have been through it yourself. War changes you. Neither my farther nor my husband tell 'War Stories' Ember just could not comprehend that her sweet Chase could be changed, unless he was a horrible person, but even the best of people are put into impossible situations in a war.

Gloria Megan wrote: "I can't see us ever getting to that point, but it's an interest take. I agree that Ember should worry more about Chase, but Chase deserves it-at least for the first 2/3rds of the book."

i whole heartedly agree about Ember although i do think this book opened my eyes to the some Rights i sort of took for granted :)

Gloria Roxanne wrote: "I could not stand Ember. She was annoying & such a brat. I thought she was horrible to Chase."

i actually think, she was justified in one way or another.

rocksann She was justified to be a brat & horrible? I guess we just see things differently.

message 22: by MaL (new) - rated it 5 stars

MaL Gloria wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "I could not stand Ember. She was annoying & such a brat. I thought she was horrible to Chase."

i actually think, she was justified in one way or another."

I agree she was young and had to take care of her mother her whole life. The boy she loved never wrote back and was cold when they seen each other again. That would just lead to hurt rejection and confusion.
Even though he had his own story she didnt know it till the end. I thought it was a FANTASTIC book!
I do see a glimpse into the future not just with this book but many other dystopians.

message 23: by MaL (new) - rated it 5 stars

MaL Maria wrote: "Gloria wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "I could not stand Ember. She was annoying & such a brat. I thought she was horrible to Chase."

i actually think, she was justified in one way or another."

I agree..."

Sorry Im agreeing with Gloria

message 24: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Maria wrote: "Maria wrote: "Gloria wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "I could not stand Ember. She was annoying & such a brat. I thought she was horrible to Chase."

i actually think, she was justified in one way or anot..."

And those who agree, I wonder if you have boyfriends, husbands,or fathers, who have been to war, and/or been in combat, seen action, death up close? war is not pretty, it scars one for life.

message 25: by MaL (new) - rated it 5 stars

MaL I do actually. And I know what happens to a person whos been there. But not everyone knows and neither did the character. But in the end she finally got it. Thats all Im saying.

Janvi I liked this book , but I felt the ending was to chaste and felt a little rushed . I understand the "cliffhanger" but I hate waiting for months hoping that my questions will be answered later , but that's just me

Francisco J. Mary wrote: "Not only was this a good read, it will get you thinking about what Americans would do without The Bill of Rights. We are the only country with these Freedoms. Do we take them for granted and when..."

I don't think that we're the only country in the world that has freedom of speech and other rights, the U.K. is as democratic as the U.S.

Renee T Julie wrote: "I really liked this book, possibly one of my favorites. Ember did annoy me a bit, but I think it was because she was so naive in the beginning, and in which she later smartened up. Of course Chase ..."

Totally agree with you.

Renee T rocksann wrote: "She was justified to be a brat & horrible? I guess we just see things differently."

I don't know. I feel the same way you do, but then when I think about what I actually would do if a guy turned into a killer right in front of me... it would be more intense in real life.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Article 5 (other topics)