The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Welcome Everyone! Feel Free....

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 9816 comments Mod
Hey everyone.
Please feel free to add a new topic or post a new game you would like to try.
I may be the moderator and creator, but I can't be the only one with something to talk about.... Can I???

Post away.....
Please :)

Im looking foward to seeing what you come up with!!!

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

boy, is it quiet in here or what?

Speak up..... spread the word.... get your friends to join us......

Dont be afraid to create a new topic to get everyone chatting!

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Welcome new members!
Thanks for joining us here......

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone too! I cant wait to fill up on all the turkey and stuffing and potatoes ... then come home and take a nap :)

Does any one know if they are going to play all the Xfiles reruns on FX like they usually do? If so, I will be in heaven!!!!!

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Carrie, Welcome to the group, and the site! It is definetly addicting --- There are tons of other groups and threads, reviews to check out, a to-read list to accumulate! !!!

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Wecome to all the new members! Thanks so much for joining us here... please feel free to add any topics you like, and join in the conversations so we can all get to know you!

And by all means, spread the word and help us continue to grow!!!

message 6: by Miss (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Miss | 1 comments I joined yesterday, and I am having a BALL adding books and seeing what books my friends add! I had no idea that there was something so 'like me' online. FUN FUN! :)

message 7: by ★Lalita ❤︎ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

★Lalita ❤︎ (lalita) | 8 comments Hi I'm Lalita. I really like your group because you stay involved in it too:) Some start them but then ignore them, so anyway Great Job! I look forward to interacting with everyone and having some fun:)

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Hey Lalita, thanks for the compliment!
I think a big part of the reason we stay active here... well, at least for ME -- is becuase during the week I have alot of free time and I am addicted to this site! It feels good to know there are so many other book addicts out there, and that im not some freak of nature... Im not friends with too many people who inhale books the way I do :)

I like to dig up some of the older threads in here sometimes and get new opinions on them.. to see if we can get them rolling again....

But I love new topics too... especially the ones other members post... It gets everyone hopping and thinking and interacting!

message 9: by Jodie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) | 44 comments I've been spreading the word on the goodreads.com site to anyone who will sit still long enough for me to rave about it. Plus, I posted it on a blog on my myspace.com profile. I love this site!

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Hey Everyone.
Hope you have all enjoyed your holidays, and sadly, for many of us, that means kissing goodbye the paid holiday vacations and getting back to the oh-so-lovely world of working again!

We are slowly creeping up on 100 members... which is so great! Continue to spread the word about the group and get your friends to join... Lets breathe some new life into this group for 2008!!!

Keep up the great work, I love reading what everyone has to say!!!

message 11: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) | 44 comments Hey Lori,

I was recently reading through posts in another group. I believe it was run by Wes (though I could be wrong.). I love the camaraderie between everyone throughout this site. No one bad mouths anyone else & everyone "steals or borrows" everyone else's topics to talk about. Is it a love of reading that brings us all together & helps us to all get along? Just one of those things that makes you go, "hmmm....."

Keep up the great work with this group! I love it. :)

Happy New Year!
Jodie

message 12: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Thanks Jodie...
Yeah, im pretty sure you are referring to Wes's site, BookAholics... I am a member of his site, and he really gets involved with everyone. I think thats a big part of the reason he has so many members.....

I have also noticed that everyone on this site gets along, and is open to sharing and interacting with each other. Its a great little community, and I hope it stays like this... Very warm and welcoming.

Thanks for the compliment! And keep contributing :)

message 13: by Fenixbird (last edited Jan 27, 2008 12:06PM) (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 403 comments Does anyone else here love the far away settings...or perhaps sea faring stories, such as Moby Dick? I have been hooked on those types of movies off and on in the past year or so...There was the Perfect Storm, which I saw shortly after "buying" the VHS tape of the incredibe "Snow Falling On Cedars," (Dave Guterson wrote the book) also set in a fisherman locale--then I had heard that Patrick Stewart had starred as Captain Ahab and so I had to rent that remake of Moby Dick. That is a book which we read as a class as I recall in grade school--perhaps 6th grade??

So....maybe my suggestion might be "themed" reading??

I just was dying to pick up a Doris Lessing since I had given away the book of her I had just started, "In Pursuit of the English." (gave it to my Sister who had surgery unexceptedly before Thanksgiving)

So I just picked up another older Doris Lessing (written BEFORE even The Golden Notebook because the old paperback book cover refers to The Golden Notebook). I am entranced already...just 2 chapters into "The Summer Before the Dark," by Doris Lessing...

Thanks & new year's wish to all of you who celebrate the love & joy of book reading!! I am inviting my friends, slowly, one by one....Not everyone seems to be so computer savy (which I had not realized I was)! I think this site is easy to navigate but it seems to require some explaining to many.

message 14: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

FenixBird, are you suggesting that we as a group try to read a themed novel together.... as in a bookclub book perhaps?

I have tryed to join the Bookaholics reading group, and I think it just may be me... becuase I tend to read books rather quickly, but i found it slow paced when it came to other readers feedback and input as we read.

I would not be against the idea if the group was interested in choosing a themed novel. If we could agree on a mutual theme we would be interested in reading, and then.. mutually agree on a novel for that theme....

Am i barking up the wrong tree? If so, let me know. You may have just suggested it as a joke.

:)

message 15: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Just wanted to pop in and welcome all the newcomers to the group! Its so freakin' cold and nasty outside, and it is nice to hop on goodreads and see what everyone here has been up to!

Dont be shy. Pick up an old thread and get it pumping again, or.... start a new one!

Happy early Valentines Day too!

message 16: by Anne (new)

Anne | 15 comments Hi all, just discovered this website about a month ago and love it. I had no idea such a place existed and only wish I had found it sooner. I hardly ever meet people in "real" life who love to read as much as I do (or who read at all, for that matter).

message 17: by Tana (new)

Tana Harrison I agree with Angel. It's so fun to have a place to see what someone else thinks about a book. I love the rating system and all the differing opinions.

message 18: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Hi everyone. It's your humble moderator again!
Is it me, or do we seem to be running out of steam? Anyone have any cool ideas for new threads? Please post your own topics to get everyone chatting away....

Hope everyone is enjoying the warmer weather (at least on the east coast.. here in NEPA we are experiencing 40-50 degree days... what a tease!)

Dont forget we have early Daylight Savings Time this year... this sunday.. .one more hour of daylight! Yee Hee!!

Happy posting everyone!

message 19: by Kellie (new)

Kellie Bootcov-Haun (Kelz101) | 1 comments Lori wrote: "Hi everyone. It's your humble moderator again!
Is it me, or do we seem to be running out of steam? Anyone have any cool ideas for new threads? Please post your own topics to get everyone chatting ..."

Hi Lori, I'm realy, realy happy I found this website, it is by far the best thing thats ever happend to me. I love roaming the book shops and can spend hours there but my mom makes me leave after like 15 minuets so i'm glad i can talk about books and so on.I. LOVE. THIS. WEBSITE !!!!!!!!!

message 20: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Wow, Kellie... way to drag up a really old topic :)

I was rereading my old posts and smiling.. I seem to be talking to myself throughout most of it, but I think some of the comments had been purged from people who are no longer members!!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello Lori,

My name is Joyce and I'm a new member of Goodreads and of the group. I was browsing through the Groups Section and I happened to see this group and browsed through. I was instantly excited with the discussions you have here and the theme of the group really piqued my interest and so I joined. And I'm enjoying every minute that I am here! Thanks for creating this group and for making the group feel homey. I really feel welcomed by everyone.

Thank you. Hoping to talk to you soon. ;)