Geoff Dyer fans discussion

Favorite Dyer book?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeb (new)

Jeb | 6 comments Mod
Discuss!

message 2: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (mariahmr) | 1 comments Paris Trance! For the story. Out of Sheer Rage! For the writing.

message 3: by Jeb (new)

Jeb | 6 comments Mod
Good picks! Agreed on Paris Trance for the story. For me, Rage and Yoga are battling it out for the top writing spot.

message 4: by Tad (new)

Tad Richards | 1 comments But Beautiful. Lots of people have tried to wax poetic on the subject of jazz -- Dyer succeeded.

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe Vess | 2 comments For me it's The Colour of Memory, story and writing, for so many reasons. Partly I'm sure because it was the first one I read, but it's still top. I think Paris Trance is a close second for story though. And I've never managed to finish But Beautiful, despite a couple of tries.

By the way, here's an interview from the Guardian on the new book:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/200...

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1 comments Paris, Trance knocked me out with the love story between two intelligent individuals. Great dialogue. But after reading Jeff in Venice...it's a toss up. Currently reading the DH Lawrence one. I get a feeling that the author is letting himself just be who he is.

message 7: by Chip (new)

Chip | 1 comments Toss up between Yoga and Jeff in Venice. Both seemed glib and surface-y upon first reading, but like the NY Times review of the latter, I couldn't stop thinking about it for the weeks and months after finishing it. A truly gifted and unclassifiable writer.

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill | 3 comments out of sheer rage for the hilarity and the amazing trick of being a bio of Lawrence without being a bio of Lawrence. Set the pattern for all that was to follow...do the opposite and make it work. How's the colour of money? I've never seen it here.

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill | 3 comments and but beautiful, just as Tad said...