Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Short Story Game

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I am stealing this idea from Wes and his Book-A-Holics group. I thought it was running pretty smoothly and wanted to see what we could come up with here...I hope he wont mind me doing this :)

The way the game works is...

I will start with a sentence. The next person will copy and paste the last line of the previous post and then add a sentence or two. And eventually we will find ourselves reading a creative little short story.

Get your thinking caps on, and let the game begin!

message 2: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) It was 3pm and the bus was late. It was always late.

message 3: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 48 comments It was 3pm and the bus was late. It was always late. The reasons were many over the years, but today the bus was late due to the driver swerving to avoid a manhole--or, if you prefer political correctness, a personhole--left open by an arsehole--or, if you prefer anatomical correctness, a peabrain. In any case, the driver, named Eugene, underwent two simultaneous knee-jerk reactions: he veered the bus violently to the left to avoid the hole in the road, and he wanted to knee the jerk in the testicles who had left the cover off the gaping abyss.

However, he was cursing the wrong gender. Malva Susan, chocolate maker and clutz extraordinaire, had stepped out of her Smart car and promptly dropped her keys, somehow, down the small openings into the hole. Knowing she 'had' to get back to the setting chocolate, she...

message 4: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 48 comments "Well, I should have suspected it would be as crowded down here as up there," she snapped, sugar spiking. "Dammit, but I dropped my keys-"

Artie shook them in one hand, while rubbing his bald head with the other. "You coulda killed me. Like when some psycho drops a penny off the CN tower and offs the poor sap below."

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) "Is that what happened to that man there?" asked Malva Susan naively, nodding toward the garbage bag-swaddled stiff.

message 6: by Mont'ster (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Mont'ster | 58 comments Fortunately for Malva, it was precisely at this moment that our intrepid bus driver Eugene, (after calming his passengers, exiting the bus to survey for any possible damage and then hearing voices emanating from the hole in the road) stuck in his unkempt head and shouted "Good grief! What in blue blazes is going on down there!"

Taken off guard, Artie was startled out of his natural predilection for knocking people in the head (thus saving Malva from joining the aforementioned stiff) and he shouted back "Holy Toledo! Whassa guy gotta do ta git some privacy 'round here!"

message 7: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 48 comments "Honey, please don't shout at the nice bus driver." She squinted an eye at Artie, half wink, half warning admonishment.

"Mr. BusDriver. I think you're going to need to call the police. Me and my hubby, uhm, well, we're in the Mile High Club and we were looking to be in the...well, nevermind. But there seems to be a dead person down here."

message 8: by Doom70 (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Doom70 | 5 comments And then garbage bag rustled and began emitting a moaning sound. Artie jumped. Malva jumped. Eugene didn't jump, as he couldn't see down into the darkness very well and hadn't heard any rustling, nor had he seen the (supposedly) dead body.

"What?" he called back down. "What the hell's going on down there?"

message 9: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 48 comments Malva grabbed Artie's hand, the one that held the keys to her Smart car, yelped, and dragged him up the ladder behind her. Shouting up through the manhole,"Darnit, I told you this wouldn't be anything like the skies. Let's just get out of here!"

As they emerged from the hole, she looked at the deaf, near retirement driver and said with a sweet smile, Mr. BusDriver, is it April yet?" as Artie tugged at her grip.

message 10: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

ScottK Meanwhile as the crisis continued above ground, no one seemed to hear,or pay attention to, the the muffled groans and rustling growing louder down below. It was becoming obvious that the body left for dead by Artie was not quite as dead as Artie had hoped.

message 11: by Mont'ster (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Mont'ster | 58 comments Artie was no rocket scientist but he was smart enough to know that his boss would not be happy with a not-so-dead stiff. Trying not to panic, he mentally ran through his options for tying up the loose ends on this job. It occurred to Artie that, no matter what solution he came up with, if his neatly wrapped "victim" in the sewer did not "go away" then he would soon be swimming with the fishes.

Artie's train of thought was suddenly disrailed by the doll's voice -
"w-what?" he stammered.
"I said 'Do you like chocolate?'. Are you not listening to me?" Malva asked, looking hurt.

Artie smiled. An idea was slowing beginning to form inside his thick skull.....

message 12: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 48 comments All Malva could think of was her hot chocolates. If she didn't get them out of the molds quick, the heat of the added ingredients would begin to melt the chocolate into ugly lumps. Tasty but ugly. Hmm. Maybe that was a marketing ploy.

She stopped suddenly, elbowed the sewer man in the solar plexus, nabbed her keys, and took off running towards her car.

message 13: by YorkshireSue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

YorkshireSue | 2 comments But she hadn't accounted for the nimbleness of Eugene the bus driver who had once been an Olympian gymnast and who was anal about punctuality. As his passengers cheered from the bus and banged on the windows, Eugene flew at Malva, tackling her from behind, bringing her crashing to the sidewalk.

"My bus is late and you've got some explaining to do, lady," he growled.

message 14: by Veronica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) "My bus is late and you've got some explaining to do, lady," he growled, "And if you don't explain you don't want to know what will happen to you."
"Okay, okay! I'll explain!" Malva hurriedly squeaked.

message 15: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 48 comments "I'm a lawyer and you're in biiiiig trouble, mister. Now get off me and BACK off."

Eugene, nervous now about his pension, leaped to his feet, nervously held out a hand to help her up. With a sharp look, she took it and got gingerly to her feet.

During the distractions Artie had gone back down the hole, thwacked dead his stiff, come back up, replaced the manhole cover, and grabbed Malva by the elbow. "Come on, 'honey,' we've got to go." To emphasize, he gripped hard.

She flinched, eyes narrowing, and deciding to take care of him with fewer witnesses, she headed to the car. Chocolate was an art-form for her, just as poisoning was.

message 16: by Samantha (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Samantha (asteroidbuckle) | 3 comments Chocolate was an art-form for her, just as poisoning was. She'd never put the two together before, but there was a first time for everything. And Artie's the perfect guinea pig, she thought to herself, trying not to laugh at her impromptu pun. (Guinea? Get it?)

"Let's go back to my shop. There's something I'd like to give you for helping me out today," she said sweetly to the large man who was currently squeezing himself into her tiny car. The sight was vaguely reminiscent of squeezing chocolate cream into a truffle. She suppressed a giggle. That's it! A truffle for a truffle.

Turning on the little car, she headed for her chocolate shop, ignoring the hulking man staring menacingly at her.

message 17: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:04PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 48 comments Malva wondered which one. Strychnine? Okay, strong taste, but fatal within a half hour unless chumpy gets a hold of charcoal. Aconite. Slow... Cyanide. Fast but, she thought she was out.

message 18: by YorkshireSue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

YorkshireSue | 2 comments Malva drove down side streets and wound the car through back lanes in an effort to confuse Artie should he escape alive although that wasn't part of her plan.

"You know where you're going, lady?" Artie growled.

"Of course...um...I just thought I saw a car trailing us. Trying to shake it."

"You know, I have a weakeness for chocolate...among other things..." With a meaty hand, Artie stroked Malva's knee.