Short Stories & Collections > A very tight place -JAS

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2572 comments Mod
Discuss this story here!

message 2: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

This story is great... every time I am in a Porta Potty I think it is the spookiest place. Smells, dark, usually in places that are scary. I really felt like it was stuck inside the porta potty with him!

Eric | 16 comments When the man has to crawl into and sit waist deep in feces, I felt like retching too. When you can be drawn into a story so much that you feel what the characters feel, you know it's good.

Kelly Sandberg (ksshadowfax99) | 21 comments This story was super realistic. I am one of those people who will wait three hours to use the potty rather than sit in one of those unstable smelly boxes! I admired the main characters drive and determination, and had to wonder if I could have done the same. I also liked the part where he dropped the unplugged hairdryer in the hottub. Served the M.F. right!!

message 5: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I kept imagining myself in a porta potty and just can't believe someone fit in that hole!

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments I think it would be a very shitty place to be!lol but as far as the story went I liked it!

It was different than his usual and very believable

Kandice | 4074 comments I also LOVED that he scared the crap out of the guy with the unplugged hairdryer. He certaibly deserved it. I was just as pleased that he didn't actually hurt him. That would have been an easy choice, I'm glad he left him to suffer on.

message 8: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have already returned this book to the library but I think he did kill that guy in the hot tub?

Kandice | 4074 comments No, the guy ended up killing himself. A few days later, too.
I was at a soccer tournament this weekend, porta-potties all around. My sons knew I had read this story last week. Well, I waited as long as I could, and of course, as soon as I got in there, they shook it, kept it locked, and pretty much scared the hell out of me!!!!

message 10: by Bonita (last edited Mar 20, 2010 04:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bonita (NMBonita) Sorry, guys, if I'm bitchy a little grouchy today but last night's story left me bewildered and left with unanswered questions.

"A Very Tight Place" was a page turner but still, somehow, lacking in... something. (?)

I can't understand why S.K. decided that Curtis Johnson should be gay. What did that have to do with anything? Was it just so that Tim Grunwald would have another reason to hate Curtis? I had a hard time feeling sorry for Curtis or TMF. I had no one to root for!

Why did he stop wearing his bike helmet, and why does that matter?

Did anyone else think Betsy was his wife at first?

Another annoying thing: Curtis took too long to figure out he could escape through the bottom. (Can I get an "Amen?" Did you guys think of it before he did?) And for some reason I ended up feeling sorry for curtis only because he didn't deserve to be trapped in a shitter. He hadn't earned that punishment.
This story didn't scare me. It grossed me out and left me unsatisfied as a reader. Can anyone explain why I might have been left wanting more? Did you guys think these characters were underdeveloped?
I really wanted to like this story. I appreciated the suspense. I just can't understand what the story needed to make it feel more... complete.