Just After Sunset
This topic is about Just After Sunset
Short Stories & Collections > Stationary Bike-JAS

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2577 comments Mod
Discuss this story here!

Julianne Okay, so I loved the Dr's explanation of the workers, and how that inspired the main character to get in shape. I think I'll use that analogy myself--it works!

What a typical King story to have the bike leading somewhere.

I appreciate the ending, too. Not a happy ending, per se, but a good one none-the-less.

message 3: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie (heathenwisp) I listened to this story as an audiobook, and really enjoyed coming back to it in print. I really loved the imagery in this one, and the strange plot development. This is the kind of story I think King excels in, where the everyday gets invaded by the fantastic, or the other way around. The subtlety of the horror as it reaches probing fingers into the cracks of reality and begins to pull it apart so it can get in... In this the horror was even more subtle because it wasn't even a huge monster... it was almost more successful because it was just workers and not a Cthutlu thing. And love the twist at the end :)

Julianne Stephanie,

What an accurate, succinct explanation of this story and why it worked well. I agree whole heartedly.

message 5: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2577 comments Mod
This so far is my least favorite story. I thought it was a little long. And it did remind me of a story in Everything's Eventual, "The Road Virus Heads North". I did like the end where he couldn't remember anything at all. So were the working crew his imagination or real?

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments I thought this was a awesome story! The way the guys imagination runs wild literally true S.K I think its funny how he turns the body and its functions into people and how easy it is to think that theres a crew running your body some are hard workers some are slackers mine are calling in all the time I think or there upper management because they arent the best workers a little lazy at times but then again I expect them to perform miracles!lol

John P (ironhead) I really liked the story, but thought it was funny to have a doctor spend more than 30 seconds with his patient. Let alone give him a 15 minute dissertation on the evils of eating poorly. But, it is fiction and it was a good story.

John P

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments How true John Im a RN and Dr's dont have time for anyone half the time there orders are incomplete or illegible!lol

message 9: by John (last edited Dec 05, 2008 04:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

John P (ironhead) Hey Tim I bet Stephen King gets more time than us non imaginative people do. Hehe. Im a diabetic and cant get the doc to spend more than a minute with me.
I just get "hi diabetic person, your numbers look good, see you in three months" Im just jealous. Like you I must work for a living. I have found an RN is just as knowledgable as a doctor, they just treat sick people better

message 10: by Rachel (last edited Dec 05, 2008 10:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel | 701 comments I'm a hospital secretary and I'd take an experienced RN over a newbie resident anyday. I did like this story. It did remind me a little of the Road Virus Heads North but with a happier ending!

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I really liked this story. The idea of a road crew working overtime in our bodies to keep us healthy was fun.

Kandice | 4085 comments I listened to this on audio last year, and enjoyed it then. I enjoyed it much more reading it myself. I imagined the workers to look like the "Busy Prepositions" in Schoolhouse Rock! Does anyone remember them?

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments OMG! Yes I do. Very funny!

Julianne Kathy wrote: "I really liked this story. The idea of a road crew working overtime in our bodies to keep us healthy was fun."

And the idea that they'd get pissed at us when we start taking better care of ourselves...ouch!

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Julianne wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I really liked this story. The idea of a road crew working overtime in our bodies to keep us healthy was fun."

And the idea that they'd get pissed at us when we start taking better ..."

Lol. Don't mess with them. In this economy, we all need our jobs!