This topic is about Just After Sunset
Short Stories & Collections > Harvey's Dream-JAS

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2572 comments Mod
Discuss this short story here!

message 2: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie (heathenwisp) Not entirely sure what to think of this one. It was okay, but I feel like we were "told" too much to be scared or tense and not actually made to feel that way through the story and the situation. I thought at first that what was supposed to be going on was Harvey had dreamed everything Jax had done while she was awake, but then the phone call kindof ruined the consistency of that idea. It wasn't a very memorable story but it passed some time.

John P (ironhead) I agree with Sephanie on this one. I didnt know where he was going with this story. It was more about "Jax's" total dislike of her husband than anything.

message 4: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie (heathenwisp) John,
Yeah, the relationship in this one was really off. People who have been married a long time but for some reason are still uncomfortable talking to each other. I find it a little weird.
And I guess I seem really hypercritical of King in my comments, but I do honestly love his writing and I get a kick out of each and every story, even this one, but I don't pull any punches when it comes to criticism.

message 5: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Jan 04, 2009 03:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

This story just peaked my curiosity at the end. Was one of the daughters dead or not?

Kelly Sandberg (ksshadowfax99) | 21 comments I agree, I loved the ending of this story...just a "Hello?". That was great!

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments This story didnt impress me at all Im as a rule pretty forgiving but this story just was blah! the end was decent though

Eric | 16 comments Kelly, I agree. That "Hello" at the end of the story was a great way to end it.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments The ending, to me, was the best part. It really ends the story with us really wondering.

Kandice | 4074 comments Maybe I'm not thinking enough, but I felt it was a sure thing one of the granddaughters had died in a car accident at the end. I mean, there was a dent and blood on the neighborhood drunks car, after all! Jax and her friend had discussed this very possibility.

message 11: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think someone died at the end for sure also... of course there is always that part of me hoping that someone didn't.

Kandice | 4074 comments Angie wrote: "I think someone died at the end for sure also... of course there is always that part of me hoping that someone didn't. "

It hadn't occurred to me, but I guess it could have been someone unrelated to them. It's funny how King never even let that possibility enter my mind. It was the granddaughter, or no one!

Bonita (NMBonita) Harvey's dream was a parent's worst nightmare.

message 14: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary I am very late to the party ^^ but I still want to say something about this story.
Weren't they talking about alzheimer's and how Harvey is suffering from that horrible disease? At least that's what I understand.
So to me it read like Harvey was telling her about the dream he had only it turns out his dream wasn't a dream because it actually happened. Not sure whether Harvey was the one who drove the car and killed one of his granddaughters but it would add to the horror of it.

Kandice | 4074 comments Mary wrote: "I am very late to the party ^^ but I still want to say something about this story.
Weren't they talking about alzheimer's and how Harvey is suffering from that horrible disease? At least that's wha..."

Wow! That never even occurred to me!