Just After Sunset
This topic is about Just After Sunset

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angie | 2586 comments Mod
Discuss this short story below!

message 2: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie (heathenwisp) As soon as David left the station I knew that they were all dead. Just like how I knew in Sixth Sense. Overall though I liked the story. Nothing really to write home about but it was a nice leisurely read to get back into the swing of King for the rest of the book.
The part with the mirror and reflections was pretty awesome :)

Julianne Stephanie,

Wow! Cause I didn't get it until they looked at themselved in the mirror. I totally expected this one to be about the rabid wolves. I had that big-eyed moment when they "disappeared" in the mirror at the bar.

I thought it was a neat spin on a ghost story.

Denise | 5 comments I thought this was a refreshingly short story and although it wasn't suprising, it was different.

Kelly Sandberg (ksshadowfax99) | 21 comments Julianne,

I didn't know until the scene with the mirror either. I did like that the band was called The Derailers!!

Kelly

message 6: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I also had no idea they were dead! I wonder what happened to the others when they bulldozed the place? Stood in place for eternity?

Rachel | 701 comments this story reminded me of a German fairy tale I first saw through the Jim Henson's Storyteller's series on HBO, because in that story it talks about how the dead have no memory. I like ghost stories like Willa that are mellow and kinda sad and sweet.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments I thought it was a unique take on a ghost story!

sorry Angie I didnt look so disregard the post I left in Just after sunset!lol

John P (ironhead) I liked Willa, I kept wondering why someones fiance would just wander off without her soon to be husband? Then when I realized they were dead and it was like duh. Good ghost story. I hope we all dont have to haunt the places we die, gawd I would hate to die anywhere near my x wife!!

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments You can say that again it would be hell!lol I dont know ur ex but any would be misery

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I enjoyed the way everything kept shifting- first you see the reflections, then you don't, the sign says "No Soliciting" then it's "No Trespassing", the train station is bright and whole, then next it's moonlit and condemned. I also liked the concept of 'perception and expectation' to explain how ghosts can move through solid objects, etc. To them, they aren't moving through the closed door, they simply opened it.

It was sad when the wolf ran away from Willa though. I was hoping that they would be able to communicate with the wolves in a different, more profound way than living humans.

Before I "read" this (I'm listening to it on audiobook- which I'm really enjoying so far), I kept thinking that this story would be like Nona from Skeleton Crew. But, as much of a "wild spirit" as Willa was supposed to be, she was nothing like Nona.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I liked this story and I totally didn't see it coming. I can't believe they are dead! In the beginning, with what little you are learning about Willa, I didn't like her and didn't want David going after her. But then as you learn more, it makes more sense. Her personality was definitely acerbic, but I think the real reason that the other peopld didn't like her was that they didn't want to know the truth. It's easier to fight something than to acknowledge a terrible truth.

message 13: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

I wonder why the other people at the station didn't want David to go after her? They must've known they might be ghosts.

message 14: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John P (ironhead) Angie;

What did you do to your poor dog?? I hope you gave him a treat after that..Hehe

message 15: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 4 stars

HA! Santa Dog!

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Hehe.....Angie, your dog is adorable. As for The other people, I think they knew but were content in their denial and she threatened that!

message 17: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric | 16 comments Good start to the book. I, along with a lot of you, didn't get that they were dead until they looked in the mirror.

Dung Beetle (dungbeetle) | 79 comments Truthfully, I didn’t care for this story. The dialogue seemed very stilted, like someone writing a King parody rather than the Man Himself. Also, if these people have been dead more than ten years, hanging around an abandoned train station thinking that everything’s A-OK, what difference will it make when the wrecking balls come? Seems like they’d still see the train station if they believe it’s there.

And I’d rather go to hell than spend eternity in a country/western bar.

Kandice | 4105 comments I thought the story was going to be Dystopian until the mirror thing. I think everyone there had at least an inkling of the truth, and were threatened by Willa's search for it. As far as the wrecking ball, I think they were meant to move on at some point. For whatever reason, this particualr group just kept... staying. It seemed as if they were meant to move along. Not neccessarily to heaven or whatever, but somewhere else. If Willa and David move to a bar... so be it. I think any sort of movement is expected, not the stagnancy they were displaying.

message 20: by LinBee (new) - added it

LinBee I knew something was up and didn't really notice until the mirror scene myself. I like the idea that they could go somewhere else and not have to stay in the station. At least they don't have to hang around all the really "happy" dead people.