The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Intros, Questions & Suggestions > Spoiler Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments I haven't been able to follow most of the message boards because I haven't been through as much of the book as most of you. I know it is a spoiler thread, and most of you post spoiler into your post if it is giving away huge plot lines. However, not everyone does and it is very hard for those of us who are not as far ahead to participate in constant fear of ruining the end. This is just my opinion and I was trying to think of a solution.

I propose that next time we read our main selection we have different spoiler threads that pertain to different sections of the book whether that's pages, chapters, etc...

I just want to really be able to participate but don't want to much given away. Just my humble opinion...

message 2: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Meghan Just to let everyone know, Otis has a spoiler tool on his "to do" list. However, he said that if more people ask him to do it, it will get bumped up on said list. So if you belong (or go join) to the Goodreads Feedback group, please ask Otis to create a spoiler tool. I think this will be something that would greatly help.

message 3: by Dottie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments I just have to say that that Otis is one cool guy and open to lots of ideas -- a spoiler tool would be interesting to have.

message 4: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
No, Otis ROCKS!!! I swear, anything I've mentioned has been taken care of like that night! The word count? That night. A glitch in the amount of books listed per page? That night. I read other issues, suggestions, and they deal with them extremely quickly, or discuss the possibilities until they figure the best solutions... like when people go back days later and edit their posts making it confusing for other coming on and reading the thread for the first time... so they came up with the "last edited" thing. They are just amazing. Like I said, OTIS ROCKS!!!

Okay, fan letter done.

Tiffany, I am SOOOO with you on your suggestion. We need to get a discussion as to the best way to handle it because I've been dying to discuss as I read, but am also fearful that too much is being revealed beyond the point I've read to so don't go to the spoiler threads. Discussions by chapters might be good because then as we go, we can comment and share.

Really good discussion point! What do the rest of you think?

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think we should do it in blocks of chapters so we don't have a zillion and five threads. Like, Chapters 1-5 on this thread, and Chapters 6-10 on another thread, etc.

message 6: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments I am glad some of you agree. I so want to discuss this book, but I am only on page 300 or so and when I did go to thread, I saw some things not entitled spoilers that have given away too much. I just think discussion would be easier and more participation could happen if we broke it into chapters.

message 7: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Tiffany I think that's a great idea. It's more specific than just posting Spoiler and that way people know what will be discussed in detail.

message 8: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Meghan Just a reminder though. Conversations tend to veer unexpectantly (for example, in TTTW thread we started talking about the movie). We should try to keep the threads based on what the header says. If we go off course, someone should start a new thread based on the new topic? That way people can participate in all the conversations they want.

message 9: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
While blocks of chapters isn't a bad idea, I'm just so curious as to why everyone is so freaked out by a slew of threads. I mean what is so bad about that? Is it a real problem to go to the whole list if you are looking for a particular thread? I just don't get it - especially if it is promoting more interaction. I'm just so curious about that!

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm just thinking that several months from now, it might get to be a lot to look through to find an older thread.

message 11: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Sera I agree that we should have a spoiler thread broken up by chapters or pages. I would have loved to discuss the book as I read it, but I didn't want to find out anything premtaurely. I have avoided any and all discussion about the book, until today, because I finished the book last night. I'm looking forward now to reading how everyone felt about the book.