BOOK-A-HOLICS discussion

Fun&Games > Your Dream Library/Bookstore

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) What would your dream library be? How big would it be? How would you design the shelves? The stairs?

My dream library would be huge. I would have an area by a fireplace for reading. I would have high celings in which the bookshelves would reach to the celing and have staircases to reach them. Hardwood floors, old world look. My check out book woud be an old book filled with parchment paper for the people would be signing it with a quill. Cool, huh?

message 2: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Wes (pricerightbooks) | 473 comments Mod
Get out of my head Ashley. I've got the books if you have the location. My used bookstore needs a bigger home and I want to add a coffee shop for live music, caffeine, and books. Love it, embrace it, feel it, and consume it.

message 3: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Robert (rgbatduke) Up until two weeks ago I would have gone with that. However, I have now tried the Sony e-book reader, and while I still love paper books and own several thousand, they present enormous difficulties. As in I have in my fairly large house already got several hundred shelf-feet of space. All full, with books stacked two deep in much of it, and with another 1000 books or so in boxes or in storage, where they don't do much good.

So while my dream might be to have a couple of hundred meters of shelf space with rolling ladders, eat-me-alive super-overstuffed leather reclining chairs with superbright backlighting for my tired old eyes, a wine cellar attached, noise cancelling bose uberspeakers flanking my head connected to a few thousand albums by the flick of a hand on the integrated mouse/keyboard tray selected from the ultrawide, untrahigh resolution computer/media screen that is integrated with my own private computer cluster and can be hidden or exposed in favor of a large fish tank with a flick of a button, the cost of all this is a bit high in a real Universe and hence unlikely to happen.

What I'd settle for is a Sony e-book and around 10,000 volumes on 20 or so 1 GB SD chips. It would fit in my pocket, literally, and I'd have the advantage of having my entire library with me at all times, no matter where I go. Visit the beach? My library is there, I can read to the sound of surf crashing while sipping this or that in a hammock beneath the palms. That mountain chalet? It's my library too. So is my office at work, my bedroom, my den, any airplane I might be riding in.

I still love paper books, but a library I can carry with me in its entirety and read anywhere is very definitely a dream library, as the works on the (virtual) pages are what counts, not the paper and ink and binding...

rgb

message 4: by Ann M (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Ann M | 2 comments Interesting thought, to take your whole library with you, but how is the Sony e-book screen for reading in really bright light, like at the beach? I need sunglasses to read a paper book outside in the sun. My laptop screen isn't very useful.

My dream library would have a communal area with a coffee shop and discussion groups. Also a place for lending offers and requests.

message 5: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 4 comments Oh, you have got me started on my fantasizing about my future business (I HOPE!)!

message 6: by Wes, Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

and what would that be Erica...

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I love both the library in my pocket/purse or on my iPhone as I am never caught without a book anymore and the old-fashioned library with shelves covered with books. There's just something very comforting to me about having books on shelves. I visited the Biltmore Estate last summer ... that library (2 stories high ... is my dream library.
Wes, I truly love bookstores, especially used bookstores ... YOU have my dream job!

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 42 comments Mine would also be an Olde Worlde style library but in a circular tower of mutiple levels with doors that are flush with the walls so I can have those ladders on wheels that will go around the entire room with a gentle push. There would also have to be an open wood fire with a huge stone mantle (as per usual castle style) with a small coffee table and over stuffed swallow-me-whole leather arm chair and lighting that is a close to candles as I can get. Obviously this is a private library of which I have total control and say who may and may not enter and of course all the books have the old style hard backs with the dark colours and gold writing...mmmmm heaven!

message 9: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (zelzanog_20) | 2 comments I would have to go with the Old World style too. High ceiling with a lovely mural. Several levels. Of course there would have to be Coffee. And many comfortable seats. Very low lighting (I LOVE THE DARKNESS!). With the smell of books everywhere!

message 10: by Kristopher (new)

Kristopher | 10 comments Tall, tall book-shelves, sliding ladders, several lay-z-boy chairs, warm blankets, ice cold airconditioning and good lighting...sigh....

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise http://www.bookthink.com/0072/72libim...

The library at Biltmore House

Check it out.

message 12: by Wes, Moderator (new)

Denise wrote: "http://www.bookthink.com/0072/72libim...

Check it out."

That's about right but the chairs need to be more comfy.

message 13: by Bert (new)

Bert Edens (bedens) Denise wrote: "http://www.bookthink.com/0072/72libim...
Check it out."

Well, I must say that's a good start :)

message 14: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) It is gorgeous ... I hope to go back at Christmas some year. And the chairs may not be what we'd like, but are infinitely more comfy than anything Frank Lloyd Wright designed. Have you seen the furniture at the Dana Thomas House in Springfield, IL? His comment to someone was if the chairs weren't comfortable, then they weren't sitting properly!! Just a little full of himself!! It is one of my favorite places to visit though. Absolutely beautiful!!
Here's a link ... go to the photo gallery & you'll see some of the chairs in the house,
http://www.dana-thomas.org/

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (porterak) I would be happy with a library like the one the Beast gave Belle in Beauty and the Beast. That was the perfect room.

message 16: by Camile (new)

Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books) (camilesouzaa) | 2 comments Agree with Amanda :) I would be soo totally happy, and my eyes would shine so much more than Belle's, if I had such a huge library like that! It'd be the most awesome place ever *-*

message 17: by cazdoll (new)

cazdoll | 2 comments Amanda wrote: "I would be happy with a library like the one the Beast gave Belle in Beauty and the Beast. That was the perfect room."

That's my perfect room too :)

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (basketchik) | 5 comments Catherine wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I would be happy with a library like the one the Beast gave Belle in Beauty and the Beast. That was the perfect room."

That's my perfect room too :)"

I would have to totally agree... I would love to have that library as well.