Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Welcome > Welcome to Carol (who is from Glens Falls).

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Welcome to Carol from Glens Falls who joined our group today. The following link will take you to her profile: ===>
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/17...

I see she is currently reading _Outliers_
by Malcolm Gladwell. Below is a book-cover link to the book: ===>
[image error]
Sounds fascinating. I'm going to add it to our bookshelves.

I hope Carol will tell us more about the book or other books she has read.

Carol, please feel free to post a comment or to start a new topic.

Happy reading,
Joy

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol | 29 comments Hi Joy,
Thank you for the quick welcome. I read about this group in yesterday's Post-Star and thought it would suit me to a "T". I love to read, but have a full time job and also teach an on line course part time so have never been able to commit to a regular face to face book club. Plus, I like to read what I feel like reading at the moment. I usually have 4 or 5 books in process at any given moment, so don't like being "forced" to read a certain book by a certain date. I look forward to the discussions here! Thanks again.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Nov 30, 2008 08:33AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hi Carol,
I heartily agree with you and understand exactly what you mean. That's why I thought this online group would be favored by some readers. None of us need more pressure in their lives.

Although, to tell the truth, sometimes, if I weren't pressured, a lot of things wouldn't get done... like reading a special book, for instance. :) I would never have picked up Byatts' _Possession_ if it hadn't been for the fact that a certain group was reading it that month. I must say, I did enjoy it after all. The following is a book-cover-link to it:
[image error]

One of the benefits of an online group is that sense of belonging which we get from connecting with a group of folks who have something in common... books for instance. :) Some of us aren't able, for one reason or another, (e.g., time limitations), to connect in real life. So this virtual substitute is very satisfying.

Like you, I usually have several books going at once. It takes me longer to read each one, but I like the variety.