The Whiskey Rebellion: George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and the Frontier Rebels Who Challenged America's Newfound Sovereignty The Whiskey Rebellion discussion

is it posible to wirte a history that is unbiased?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Artnutx2 (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Artnutx2 while i see that this book carried with it a bit of political leaning on the part of the author - which he may be the first to admit - is it possible to tell history without a bias?

colonial era history is so dry for most readers - if you're reading about this incident in detail for the first time - it's nowhere near dry and quite entertaining. a great bit of classical history seeps in from all directions. isn't the public served well by this book?

message 2: by Jess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Jess while i haven't read the book, i must say that it's neither possible nor desirable to tell history without bias. even if we boiled history down to just names and dates and places, the decision of which of those names and dates and places are important would be an issue of bias. plus, history is supposed to tell us about ourselves as much as it is to tell us about the past... so the questions that we ask and the way history answers them is an important facet of the process of writing history.

if you're interested in exploring the topic of bias in history with more depth, History on Trial by Gary Nash, et al. is a great read and a good primer on the debate.