Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > The same person?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Violetta (new)

Violetta | 479 comments I think these are all the same woman, but need someone to double-check:

Mrs Alistair Rconte MacLean
MacLean Contessa Ville Neuve De Plessis
Mrs Alistar Rcontes MacLean

There might even be more permutations that I haven't found yet. I haven't had too much luck figuring out how to correctly write her name, as she is definitely not the male author Alistair Maclean.

This first caught my eye because the book What the Hell? is incorrectly attributed to Alistair instead of to the Contessa.

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_C) | 388 comments Violetta wrote: "I think these are all the same woman, but need someone to double-check:

Mrs Alistair Rconte MacLean
MacLean Contessa Ville Neuve De Plessis
[author:Mrs Alistar..."

What name(s) is/are on the covers and title pages of the works she has written?

message 3: by Violetta (new)

Violetta | 479 comments Mrs. Alistair Maclean, or sometimes Mrs. Alistair (Contessa Ville Neuve De Plessis) Maclean.

This is based off the one book cover I have found. A lot of books come up under her name, but so far all have missing book covers. :(

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7021 comments There is nothing about her either I could find online- LOC has her as Mrs Alistair Maclean - I would go with that for time being.

Add a note in to the author profile regarding the Contessa name

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_C) | 388 comments Paula wrote: "There is nothing about her either I could find online- LOC has her as Mrs Alistair Maclean - I would go with that for time being.

Add a note in to the author profile regarding the Contessa name"

I did a little research re: Mrs. Alistair Maclean. Maclean had 2 wives, hence the "(Contessa Ville Neuve De Plessis)" designator. From all I can find, though, Contessa VilleNeuve De Plessis is only the pseudonym she used.

The first wife was Gisela Heinrichsen (1953–1972)

The second wife was Mary Marcelle Georgius (1972–1977)

I did, however, find the following reference:
'THE STYX RIVER FERRY' by: Mrs. Alistair MacLean (Mary Marcelle) and M. Bowser
which indicates that the second wife is the author in question.">

Her coauthor, Milton Bowser, was the president of the publishing firm Sitare, which published her books. See http://www.corporationwiki.com/Califo...

HTH

message 6: by Violetta (last edited Feb 07, 2012 10:59AM) (new)

Violetta | 479 comments Re: message 5

Thanks Peter, that's a good lead. Since she published under Mrs. Alistair MacLean, I'll use that as her author name, with "pen name" as the role. Then on her profile page, I will add your info.

Thank you Peter and Paula!

Edit: Merged profiles. Now found at: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

What the Hell...? (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alistair MacLean (other topics)