Horse Whisperers discussion

Has GoodReads changed your Reading habits?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Atishay | 229 comments Mod
Hi friends! I really wanted to know the extent to which goodreads has changed your way of reading. Has it broadened your reading horizons? Does it cross your mind before picking up a book about how it will look in your GR shelf ? Or maybe nothing has changed at all.. ? :)

message 2: by Ricki (new)

Ricki not at all, Atishay. I still read the books I'm interested in, I still read the reviews of new books and decide whether they are of any interest or not and use my friends, family and constant reader contacts for additional recommendations.

message 3: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Yeah Ricki, it works like that for me too, but since joining Goodreads, I've observed that I read more than what I used to earlier, esp in college working days. Now, I like to fit in a few more pages whenever I'm free.

message 4: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Fiona, I think TNBBC makes our world of books more open. We explore more things now.Before we had are one paths to follow that were leading to books related to the person we are. Now there are all those other paths we are suggested to try or we are creating experimental once..some are good experiences that lead again to other paths to explore and some are dead ends. We are richer than ever!

message 5: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Hehe, yeah I agree Fiona. It's like a news channel constantly being updated with latest news, except that it's always the news that we love to hear.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments I definitely think that Goodreads has been responsible for me reading some books that I had put off reading. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is one book that I kept resisting, but when it was a group read in one of the groups I belong to, I read it and loved it. Also, Atishay, even though I love The Horse Whisperer, I really hadn't checked out any more books by Evans. I'm now reading The Divide and am so glad that your enthusiasm for his writing prodded me into exploring more of his books.

message 7: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Great Kathy! Do you like The divide? If you do, than you will probably love his others too.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Jeane, yes, I am really liking The Divide. I just wish I had more time to read right now. Christmas gatherings are keeping me busy at the moment, but I can't wait to get back to The Divide and devote some serious reading time to it. How about The Smoke Jumper (is that the correct title?)? Have you read it, and if so, how did you like it compared to The Horse Whisperer and The Divide? I guess I'm wondering what of his to read next.

message 9: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
The smoke Jumper wass really nice too. I thought it was his less intense storie..but still intense anyway. It is a nice, soft story. The loop is my favourite but many people find that their less favourite. I am sure you will like The smoke jumper too.

message 10: by Elena (new)

Elena | 3 comments Indeed, it's helping me a lot in broading my reading horizons, literally. I've got lots of new reading suggestions, especially concerning contemporary American (and foreign in general) literature, which is something I used to neglect before (so many names and titles, what to choose????). I might not decide according to the reviews I read here, sometimes I just see the titles and they catch my attention, so I check them at the local bookshop and decide if they're worth it or not. Moreover, I've found that I'm reading more...A good change!

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) Thanks Jeane for inviting me to this group! Goodreads has affected my reading in that I so enjoy reading everyone's book recommendations and reviews and I am finding so many new books to add to my 'to be read' list! Some of these books I probably would never have noticed if not for Goodreads. I also find it so much fun to 'discuss', if only on-line, books I read. I don't have a lot of people in my life who are as voracious about reading as I am, so there aren't a lot of opportunities for me to discuss books with anyone else. It is also so nice to be able to post on goodreads at my own opportunity instead of being in a more structured book club. Sorry for the lengthy post! As you can see, I'm a great fan of this site!

message 12: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
Hope to see you often here Cindy!!

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments I agree, Fiona, I wouldn't have gone on to read The Divide and enjoy it, too, if not for this group. I would have only read The Horse Whisperer, which is great, but I wouldn't have become an Evans fan like I am now. I have The Loop waiting to be read soon. So cool. I love getting hooked on a new author. Thanks Jeane and Atishay.

message 14: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
hehe, you are all welcome and I completely enjoyed it! And I am sure Atishay was too and we will continue!!!!

This site made me try out different kind of books.I am nrmally a crime lover or historical fiction. Since being here I have read soooo many different books.

message 15: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Wow!
Welcome Jacha, Elena and Cindy!
I'm glad you enjoyed The Divide Kathy and Fiona, it still remains etched in my memory.
I picked up "The Loop" Hard bound edition at a book fair and I'm loving every page of it.

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Yay, Atishay, you're back. How was your trip home? Is this the first time you're reading The Loop? It's on my bed patiently waiting for me to start it. When a book makes it to my bed, it's on my short, short list.

message 17: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 216 comments Mod
This website changed my life so much that I get home, take a shower and fast go and check the website! I am thinking about it at work, on the bus and I try to get home fast so I can check it.....

message 18: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Thanks !
The trip home was superb Kathy ! My old school had our 25th School Anniversary and they had planned a big 3 day event as a celebration. So, I met some pretty old friends there. It was a nice feeling.
Yeah, I'm reading The Loop for the first time and I'm liking it so far. I would like to know the names of the books that you've stacked above The Loop on your bedside pile of books. Push it up to the top! :)

message 19: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Where are the eyes gone Fiona!!!??

message 20: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Lolz!!!!!
So, whats up Doc ?

message 21: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Sorry Doc :)

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 136 comments Oh Atishay, you are so bad, encouraging me to abandon my books ahead of The Loop, but you will no doubt convince me. Yes, your powers of persuasion are that good! I am going to finish Belong to Me, as it is the sequel to Love Walked In, which I just finished last night. (I had already started Belong to Me when I realize that it was the second book, so I had to switch and correct my reading--I'm anal that way.) The True Story of Hansel and Gretel was up next, but I will defer to your great powers and read The Loop next (after Belong to Me). Oh, great one, you are too much for my weak resistance. Ha, ha.

Glad you had a good trip. Now, crack that whip and get the whole world reading Nicholas Evans.

message 23: by Atishay, The Brave (new)

Ha Ha !
Aye Aye Captain :)