Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Disappearing review

Comments (showing 51-81 of 81) (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 51: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I don't even know if librarians can fix it. I suspect it would have to be done by staff, if there is a way to do it.

I used to see bad combinations like this all the time in NOT A BOOK, where it didn't especially matter because they were being excluded from the database. People would review things that would then get nabbed, and librarians with nothing better to do would then combine dozens, if not hundreds of dissimilar nabbed items. Some of these items would then get deleted, and all the reviews would get attached to a smaller number, or even one, nabbed book.

Sarah (Presto agitato) (mg2001) | 134 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I don't even know if librarians can fix it. I suspect it would have to be done by staff, if there is a way to do it.

I used to see bad combinations like this all the time in NOT A BOOK, where it d..."

Ugh, what a mess. Yes, there doesn't really seem to be a way to fix it by normal librarian means. Somehow a bunch of reviews would have to be deleted, but maybe there's not much that could be done for that, and they're on the wrong book anyway now.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme (lacrimsonfemme) | 470 comments Okay, I'm not losing my mind then. I too have lost several reviews. I know I wrote them. I write many of them Friday night to decompress after a week of work. I can say that I now export my books after a mass reviewing. Mine were written around the first two weeks of January. I know I wrote them because I specifically tied a childhood incident to one and I can no longer find it. I gave up trying to find all the ones I wrote that disappeared. There are about 10 or more. I'm just re-writing them.

message 54: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1324 comments I can't rewrite my Deathless review, really. I remember general impressions of the book, but not enough to review it like I usually do. Sigh.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme (lacrimsonfemme) | 470 comments Nikki wrote: "I can't rewrite my Deathless review, really. I remember general impressions of the book, but not enough to review it like I usually do. Sigh."

Yeah, I know the feeling. I have a couple out there I wrote only to find it didn't save the entire review ...it is cut in half. I don't know what I did wrong. I'm starting to write all my big reviews in MS word first then copy and paste it over.

message 56: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1324 comments I do actually keep stuff kicking around on my computer for a while to make sure, but I've switched computers and I wrote that review a long time ago...

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme (lacrimsonfemme) | 470 comments Nikki wrote: "I do actually keep stuff kicking around on my computer for a while to make sure, but I've switched computers and I wrote that review a long time ago..."

Doh! >.< That is rough. :(

message 58: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 35 comments I am a librarian and I am seeing the same issue. I cannot see reviews I have posted on goodreads even when not signed in.

Kara, is this something the developers can review?

message 59: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12128 comments Mod
Jeff wrote: "I cannot see reviews I have posted on goodreads even when not signed in."

Posted within the past 24-48 hours? If so, that is completely unrelated. Book pages are cached.

message 60: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 35 comments rivka wrote: "Jeff wrote: "I cannot see reviews I have posted on goodreads even when not signed in."

Posted within the past 24-48 hours? If so, that is completely unrelated. Book pages are cached."

No, the reviews were posted more than 48 hours ago. I have checked a few different books.

message 61: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1324 comments I see thirteen reviews on your my books page, Jeff, all added in 2011. I assume those aren't the ones you're worried about?

If it's the same issue I appear to have, your book records for whatever title it is will have disappeared completely.

message 62: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 35 comments Ah sorry I should have clarified. When you look at an individual book (not on a person's profile), goodreads does not combine my review with the other reviews.

Does that help?

message 63: by [deleted user] (new)

Can you give a link? Do you mean that when you look at your own review, it appears above the sections headed Friend Reviews, Lists with this Book, and Community Reviews? Or do you mean that you see your review somewhere in your profile or under My Books, but not when you go to the book itself?

message 64: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 35 comments Sure, here are three books I have read this year:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/96...
Book reviewed: Feb 19th

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79...
Book reviewed: Feb 6th

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...
Book reviewed: Feb 3rd

For all three books, sort the reviews by most current. You should see all three of my reviews not appear. At least that is what I see (even when not signed in to Goodreads).

message 65: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1324 comments Definitely not the same problem as mine -- it's not only that my review doesn't appear on the book pages, but that it has been deleted altogether.

Also, I may be wrong, but I believe sorting by date sorts by the day the book was added to your shelves, not by the date you reviewed it.

message 66: by [deleted user] (new)

Jeff, your first review appears in the correct starred section. It appears on p. 28 of 33 in the sort by newest section.

message 67: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 35 comments Osho wrote: "Jeff, your first review appears in the correct starred section. It appears on p. 28 of 33 in the sort by newest section."

Thanks Osho! I think I have a new bug to report or a feature to request.

message 68: by [deleted user] (new)

Bug, feature--it all depends where you're standing ;-)

message 69: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 21 comments I just wanted to comment that I was looking for a few books that I know I wrote reviews for and they are all gone.

Is the general consensus that we should be exporting our file and saving them?

message 70: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Do you know which book? or what timeframe?

message 71: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 21 comments I wrote them in the last week I think maybe last weekend, but I am not sure what date.

Here is the link to the three books that I noticed.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59...

Is that useful?

message 72: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

message 73: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 21 comments Well I don't know usually when I list the book I type in my comments and hit save. You get the little picture that shows your book with the review and that is it. I assumed they were saved since it showed up on my list. It was not until today that I went looking for how I described one of the heroes that I noticed it was missing.

message 74: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

Dawn wrote: "Well I don't know usually when I list the book I type in my comments and hit save. You get the little picture that shows your book with the review and that is it."

If the review showed up then, it was definitely saved.

message 75: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1324 comments Is there any follow up on this yet? Any idea why my review disappeared, how I can avoid this happening again? Any (she says, without much hope) chance of me getting it back?

message 76: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Haven't found anything. Sorry.

A lot of people back up their reviews to csv every few months. While I certainly hope it's unneccessary (I hope we never lose anyones reviews ever), we have lost reviews in the past.

message 77: by Suz (new)

Suz (suzemo) | 34 comments I recently discovered that my review of Deathless also went MIA. ( http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/86... )I will swear by all that is holy that I had this book on my favorites shelf a few weeks (2-3, easily post-Amazon-snafu) ago when I was reviewing my favorites shelf, but today, when I went to look at Valente's works, I saw that Deathless was unrated. It wasn't on any of my shelves or anything (I added it to "read" and then came here looking for info on MIA reviews and my search led me to this thread).

If my review edition was combined/deleted (if that's what happened) can the review be recovered? I will swear to whatever gods there are that the review/info was there til rather recently. Losing all of that effort sucks.

message 78: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

The only deletion the log shows for that book (which says it merged reviews, which is what should happen) on that book was January 20. Do you know if your review was there after that date?

message 79: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1324 comments Interesting, my review would have vanished around January 20th.

And yes, I agree, losing a review stinks. I haven't even tried to rewrite it yet. And the resurrection of this thread reminds me that I should export my reviews again to be sure I can at least restore my reviews if this happens again.

message 80: by Suz (new)

Suz (suzemo) | 34 comments I would swear that it was there a month or so ago (I was having an enthusiastic discussion with someone at a party a month ago and I remember checking it then). I could be mistaken, but I don't think so. I know it was there after the Amazon deadline. I found another missing review yesterday, but I only remember when I wrote it, I hadn't checked on it since (same thing, lost the review and it was deleted from my shelves).

If anything, I suppose this teaches me to export my data periodically so I won't lose book count data & reviews.

message 81: by [deleted user] (new)

I've just now saved a review and now I can't see it anywhere. I did save it by using the "save" button and was led to the normal pop-up to share it (I never use this) and now it's gone.
? I'm a bit confused. I could swear this happened once before, but back then I wasn't sure if I really saved the review, but this time I am.

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread