South Shore Readers discussion

As a child...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★Lalita ❤︎ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

★Lalita ❤︎ (lalita) | 19 comments What books did you like to lose yourself in back then? I liked the Little House on the Prairie series, Anne of Green Gables, and was shortly into those Babysitter Club books:)

message 2: by Joanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Joanie | 490 comments Mod
I loved the Little House books, the Ramona books, anything by Judy Blume and then all the books by S.E. Hinton. I would re-read the same books over and over back then.

message 3: by Clare (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Clare | 21 comments Because of my age, I have probably read different books in childhood/young adulthood than many of you. I am 61 and the Babysitter books weren't around then. I loved Nancy Drew, definitely loved Little House on the Prairie, enjoyed the Secret Garden and many others. This is a good question that I have not thought about in a long time. I think I read every fairy tale in the little library I went to in Scituate. I think that library on First Parish Road has long ago been transformed into something else. Going there with my mother is one of my fondest memories. What was your first library?

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 1098 comments Mod
When I was little I read The Happy Hollister books (which my mom had saved from her childhood) and the Nancy Drew books. I also read the Ramona books and Judy Bloom... along with The Chronicles of Narnia and Madeline L'Engle (sp?) In junior high, I loved the Sweet Valley High Books. I tore through those things so fast...

I grew up out near Worcester, so that library is the first one I frequented. The library in my small town didn't have too many books and wasn't open every day. :(

message 5: by ★Lalita ❤︎ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

★Lalita ❤︎ (lalita) | 19 comments Yes those are all great books, I forgot about some of them. My first library was the Thomas Crane Library in Quincy. When I lived there I'd go on school trips there often also. Now we have a small library in my town but it's quaint and gets me out for a nice long walk!

message 6: by Sharon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Sharon As a child, I unfortunately preferred television over reading. I never really liked the books I was told to read in school but the ones I read on my own, which I barely remember were the Ramona books and Sweet Valley High. I really can't recall any others...so sad.

message 7: by Dina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Dina | 21 comments Any Judy Blume, TACK Against Time, Amelia Bedelia, Choose Your Own Adventures, and Stephen King. Every time we went to the store I had my own money for a toy and then Mom always bought me a book because I was always running out of books to read!
I never really liked the assigned school book titles, especially summer reading.

message 8: by Joanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Joanie | 490 comments Mod
I loved the Choose Your Adventure books! I almost forgot about those!

message 9: by Julianne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Julianne | 7 comments Sharon - I had to giggle when you said you loved Sweet Valley High books! I LOVED those books! I thought I was the only one! Thanks for the memory! Julianne