Fantasy Junkies discussion

Author Discussion! > C.S. Lewis

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) | 56 comments I really enjoyed his Narnia series as well as the Screwtape letter which is VERY different

message 2: by Kataury (new)

Kataury Screwtape Letter was a very good book. And yes, quite unique.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie I have only read the magicians nephew and lion witch and the wardrobe. they wernt that interesting

message 4: by Kataury (new)

Kataury The Chronicles weren't really supposed to be meant for reading in entertainment but in symbolism, he can tie both real life and fiction so that they make the books fun to read and also help people broach important topics. In this case the atonement of Christ for LWW.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie true,

message 6: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 25 comments Tolkien disapproved.

message 7: by Kataury (new)

Kataury of what?

message 8: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 25 comments Of Lewis writing an allegory. He thought the story should be JUST a story, not a story-with-a-purpose.

message 9: by Kataury (new)

Kataury interesting.

message 10: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (Rudd03) | 95 comments Mod
I must disagree. Are stories of honor and virtue, truth and love, not "stories-with-purpose"?

message 11: by Kataury (new)

Kataury dk

message 12: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 25 comments Anytime a writer creates a story, thematic elements will creep in (apologies to Orson Scott Card, but it's true!)

However, that's not the same thing as a story that's created specifically for the purpose of illustrating a particular idea. For a more flagrant example, see if your local library carries copies of the Elsie Dinsmore books.

Tolkien's point was that you don't have to "sell out" your story to the ideals you believe in: since you're the one creating the story, those themes will show up even if you don't shove 'em in there. Tolkien was something of a literary purist - some might say a literary snob! - and while I can see his point, I think there's room for lots of different types of stories. (Apparently, there are even lots of people who enjoy Elsie Dinsmore!)

message 13: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (Rudd03) | 95 comments Mod
Good point! Don't know Elisa Dinsmore though.

message 14: by Kataury (new)

Kataury same here.

message 15: by Kataury (new)

Kataury for josh's not knowing Elsie Dinsmore

message 16: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 25 comments *grin* Didn't expect you to - that's why I suggested checking the library. ;)

But just to get an idea of what I mean, look at this review of the book: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

It's really long, so if you don't want to read the whole thing, skip down to roughly the middle - the section that starts with "she's too perfect." I've pulled a quote:

Elsie is an example of how God wants us to live for Him. That is why Martha Finley, (MF), wrote these books in the first place - to encourage girls to live for God.

And if you get a chance to read any of the books (it's a series), you'll understand that much more clearly. Her primary purpose in writing these books is NOT to tell a story, but to illustrate a point.

message 17: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) | 56 comments Well from a pure "story" standpoint - and characters/plot etc I enjoyed the Narnia series - Maybe I just don't read deep enough but I was very entertained by them.

Jane.