Barbara Delinsky Reading Group and Q&A discussion

Yes or no -- is Hugh a bigot?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Barbara (barbaradelinsky) | 33 comments Mod
Okay, I couldn't possibly answer this question myself with just a yes or no, but for the sake of getting some others of you into the discussion, let's give it a shot. Yes or no. I want to see if there's a concensus.

message 2: by Libby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Libby Kuntz | 9 comments No. If you want more discussion than yes or no I'll weigh in.

message 3: by Tammy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Tammy | 6 comments I don't think so. He accepts and helps others readily, it seems.

I think it's hard to predict how you will react to an unexpected event. I also think it's hard to change your perception of something you've been taught or lived with for your whole life -- and he was raised with a certain perception of his family.

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

I agree, Tammy. And Libby, definitely weigh in.

(Yes or No is for those who don't have the time or inclination to say more.)

message 5: by Libby (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Libby Kuntz | 9 comments I agree with Tammy, too. Hugh was surprised by his daughter's appearance and was put on the defensive by his parents' reaction. But he struggled with these emotions that were in conflict with his beliefs. He was never comfortable with or entrenched in intolerance. He certainly needed to deal with assumptions and feelings, but that doesn't make a person a bigot. I think he did too much soul searching to ever be considered a bigot. He was just a guy who was human. (My husband says Hugh was just being a typical man and went on to "fix the problem" without considering or understanding his wife's feelings.) My gracious and mature response to that is that these misunderstandings are painful but pretty normal for relationships.

message 6: by Barbara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Thanks to both of you for understanding Hugh. Some readers are just furious with him. But he is who he is because he is who he is!

How about Eaton? Do you think he's a bigot? Do you think there was reason why he wrote the kinds of books he did?

message 7: by Gretchen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Gretchen | 8 comments I would say No. He was scared and worried for his daughter and emotions stepped in.