The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Chat > February - What Are You Reading?

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 698 comments What are you reading this month or what do you want to read?

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 698 comments I'm halfway done with Enthralled Paranormal Diversions by Melissa Marr

message 3: by OmG_iTs_LiZaRd, Group Creator - Taking a Break (new)

OmG_iTs_LiZaRd | 3367 comments Mod
Is it any good so far Amy

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 698 comments ❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "Is it any good so far Amy"

Some of the stories are interesting.

message 5: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 1455 comments Just finished YA (very young adult) novel Sir Thursday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #4) by Garth Nix which I totally loved. And Forgotten Sea (Children of the Sea, #5) by Virginia Kantra which was wonderfully romantic about angels, selkies and demons.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Just finished Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost. LOVED IT!

message 8: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Feb 03, 2012 11:31PM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Here is my list. Some are shorts so it isn't as intimidating as it looks.

February to reads:

Gideon by Jacquelyn Frank
Werewolf in the North Woods by Vicki Lewis Thompson
Warrior by Zoe Archer
The Demon Lover: A Novel by Juliet Dark
To Catch a Bride by Anne Gracie
Blood Bound by Patricia Biggs
Blameless by Gail Carriger
Divergent
Light My Fire
Fury by Anya Bast
Tranquility by Anya Bast
Bewitching the Werewolf
Intern with the Vampire by Kit Iwasaki
Cinder and Ella by Melissa Lemons
Married By Morning & Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas
Bloodfever by KMM
Dearly Departed

Done
Destined for an Early Grave Jeaniene Frost, 2/1/12
Vampire Mine Kerreyln Sparks 2/3/12

message 9: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 I am currently reading Columbine

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire Well for this month I am doing a challenge in another group where your have to read as many books as you can about werewolves and shapeshifters. So my goals are to read all the books I have pertaining to werewolves. Im also doing other challenges where im reading fairy tale retellings.

message 11: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (KatNHat) Ooooo, you'll have to let me know if you find some good fairy tale retellings. I love those.

message 12: by OmG_iTs_LiZaRd, Group Creator - Taking a Break (new)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ wrote: "❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "Is it any good so far Amy"

Some of the stories are interesting."

I might have to try it

message 13: by Teneal (last edited Mar 05, 2012 01:11PM) (new)

Teneal My list for this month for various book groups monthly reads + challenges:

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks 3.2.12
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan 5.2.12
Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger 13.2.12
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher 20.2.12
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld 20.2.12
Our Little Secret by Duncan Fairhurst 22.2.12
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
Candy by Luke Davies 26.2.12
The Help by Kathryn Stockett b2.3.12
The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
Hide and Seek: A Short Story by Shayna Krishnasamy 22.2.12
I very much doubt I'll get through all of these but this is my goal :)

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan I am almost done reading The Touch by Randall Wallace, and I am nearly a third done with the Must Love Hellhounds anthology. The Touch by Randall Wallace Must Love Hellhounds (Includes Guild Hunter, #1.5; Kate Daniels, #3.5; The Guardians, #5.5; Sookie Stackhouse, #9.2) by Charlaine Harris

message 15: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Goodreads is saying I'm 4 books behind... Definitely time to step on the gas! Once I get Great Expectations out of the way for English, I'll be golden! Guess I should make use of those audiobooks that are just sitting up on my iPod :)

message 16: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 1455 comments This morning I started Tall, Dark and Deadly by Lorie O'Clare which is the first book I've read by Lori O'Clare (though I own a few others). I am having great difficulty with it. Here is the first paragraph:

There are two kinds of women in the world - those you screwed and those you married. It wasn't a rule he'd made up. It was simply how it was. Some women were best at raising children, keeping a presentable home and life in order. Others were best on their backs, offering pleasure, and taking it like the good little sluts that they were. They were two separate breeds. If a woman possessed one of those qualities, she sure as hell didn't possess the other.

So right off the bat I'm offended and highly doubt I will be reading further. However, this is only the prologue and it is the sexual serial killer's thinking not the hero or heroine. Though I must admit that even when the hero (big FBI guy) enters the picture, his thoughts about the heroine (the one sexually abused for 5 years in the prologue) are majorly offensive. He knows her back story and still he's hitting on her, saying objectionable things and thinking obscene thoughts. It really turns me off and I feel that this is going to be one of those books where the hero has to grow on you but it will probably take most of the book.

message 17: by Amy ~Lover of Books~ (last edited Feb 13, 2012 07:36PM) (new)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 698 comments Zakiya wrote: "Goodreads is saying I'm 4 books behind... Definitely time to step on the gas! Once I get Great Expectations out of the way for English, I'll be golden! Guess I should make use of those audiobooks t..."

It says I'm 5 books behind. That is only because there is something currently going on in my life that has me very worried, but I'm already trying to take that step to try to do something about it. So, I'm slowly trying to get back into the swing of things.

message 18: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) That's great, Amy! You'll be back to your usual reading pace in no time; don't let that GRs ticker bring you down! :)

message 19: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Sooo close to being done with Great Expectations! :D As soon as I finish this one, then I'll be on a roll again. I hope so anyway!

message 20: by OmG_iTs_LiZaRd, Group Creator - Taking a Break (new)

Barbara wrote: "This morning I started Tall, Dark and Deadly by Lorie O'Clare which is the first book I've read by Lori O'Clare (though I own a few others). I am having great difficulty with it. Here is the f..."

That sucks about the book. I hope it gets better.

message 21: by OmG_iTs_LiZaRd, Group Creator - Taking a Break (new)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ wrote: "Zakiya wrote: "Goodreads is saying I'm 4 books behind... Definitely time to step on the gas! Once I get Great Expectations out of the way for English, I'll be golden! Guess I should make use of tho..."

Don't worry I'm 14 books behind

message 22: by OmG_iTs_LiZaRd, Group Creator - Taking a Break (last edited Feb 16, 2012 10:16PM) (new)

I'm reading Real Vampires Hate Their Thighs (Glory St. Clair, #5) by Gerry Bartlett Betrayal (Immortal #2) by Gillian Shields

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 698 comments ❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "Amy ~Lover of Books~ wrote: "Zakiya wrote: "Goodreads is saying I'm 4 books behind... Definitely time to step on the gas! Once I get Great Expectations out of the way for English, I'll be golden! G..."

I know a way to come back and that is to read manga again which my younger brother has put me in the mood of doing with all the manga he has checked out from the library.

message 24: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Wow, I'll have to try that! But I really need some money first, because my mom said I have to buy them with my own money. :/

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan I just started The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. I am enjoying it so far. GR says I am two behind on my goal. The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1) by Brent Weeks

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 698 comments Zakiya wrote: "Wow, I'll have to try that! But I really need some money first, because my mom said I have to buy them with my own money. :/"

My local library has manga plus some other libraries where you can request an item your library don't have and it will be transferred to the local library.

message 27: by Teneal (new)

Teneal Even though the last thing I need at the moment is to start another book I have started reading Hide and Seek A Short Story by Shayna Krishnasamy.

I just can't help myself.

message 28: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Amy ~Lover of Books~ wrote: "Zakiya wrote: "Wow, I'll have to try that! But I really need some money first, because my mom said I have to buy them with my own money. :/"

My local library has manga plus some other libraries wh..."

I'll have to look at the online catalog to see if either of our libraries has manga.

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 698 comments Zakiya wrote: "Amy ~Lover of Books~ wrote: "Zakiya wrote: "Wow, I'll have to try that! But I really need some money first, because my mom said I have to buy them with my own money. :/"

My local library has manga..."

I know some libraries aren't as good as some other ones.

message 30: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Yeah, I'm okay if I have to buy them from the store. Sailor Moon has got me addicted! :)

message 31: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Well...most of February is gone, and I've just finished my first book of the month Sunday. This is my revised tentative reading list for the month:

Great Expectations 19/2/2012
Incarceron
The Power of Six
Tall Cool One
Dreamwalk
Revolution
The Hunger Games
Catching Fire
Holes
Death by Chocolate

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 698 comments Zakiya wrote: "Yeah, I'm okay if I have to buy them from the store. Sailor Moon has got me addicted! :)"

I was thinking of buying some manga from anime series I really like like Fruits Basket because the manga takes that story even further from the anime.

message 33: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Never heard of it, but I'll have to look it up!

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 698 comments Zakiya wrote: "Never heard of it, but I'll have to look it up!"

It's a very good and funny anime/manga series! I own the orginal boxset of this series that first came out and it has come a couple other times since then.

Here's the official Funimation trailer to the Fruits Basket anime series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKpqU-...

I'm a big fan of the couple: Kyo whose the cat and Tohru from the manga more than the anime series probably because like i said before, the story advanced even further in the manga than the anime series!

message 35: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Coincidentally, the friend that got me started with Manga had the first Fruits Basket book with her today :). I'm definitely going to ask her where she got it from!

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 698 comments Zakiya wrote: "Coincidentally, the friend that got me started with Manga had the first Fruits Basket book with her today :). I'm definitely going to ask her where she got it from!"

I read the Fruits Basket manga at least a few years ago, but I would like to read the series again because it took them forever to come out with the whole series of 23 volumes in English!

message 37: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Wow! I can imagine! That must've been a lot of translating :)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 698 comments Zakiya wrote: "Wow! I can imagine! That must've been a lot of translating :)"

Yeah, but that is how it is. There were a couple series that are already on volume 30-50 and I lost interest in those series because it never ends and there's just some pointless episodes that people call filler episodes that don't go by the manga so yeah I lost interest in Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece.

message 39: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Really? Wow. My manga-BFF reads a lot of Naruto. She's in love with it. She even has a soundtrack to it on her iPod.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions (other topics)
Sir Thursday (other topics)
Forgotten Sea (other topics)
Destined for an Early Grave (other topics)
The Clique (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jay Asher (other topics)
Ian McEwan (other topics)
Scott Westerfeld (other topics)
Kathryn Stockett (other topics)
Nicholas Sparks (other topics)
More...