Native American (American Indian) GoodReads Members discussion

General Chat > Thanksgiving

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyhell) | 28 comments Mod
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving!

What are your thoughts and feelings about this holiday?

As a Native, I find Thanksgiving repellent and hateful, also insulting and rubbing salt in a wound. It's like as if there was a holiday that celebrated the first slave ship landing on American soil, and they tried to pretend every year it was a feast of diversity and how two brother peoples landed in a New World and tried to make it work together, hand in hand.

And the never-ending BS surrounding people not wanting to let go of pretending they are "Injuns" really makes me want to vomit.

As a generic human living in the USA, I just enjoy it as "Feastmas", a random Fall holiday made for enjoying family and food, sans any other meaning. Kinda like how I observe "Giftmas" as a non-christian. I see it purely and only as a gift and family related winter holiday, nothing more.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael | 4 comments Do you know if there is any truth to the Thanksgiving origins made by Russell Means in his autobiography? I'm talking about the letter from one colony governor to another. It seems believable enough, but I don't believe everything he says. And regarding the people pretending to be Indians, did you ever read "Playing Indian" by Philip Deloria? I think I forgot to list that book, so I'll do it now.

message 3: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyhell) | 28 comments Mod
Actually I learned about the slaughter of Metacomet and the Wampanoag in History (college, so a bit less likely to be wild lies), so while the feast may or may not be in regards to the massacre, the massacre happened.

The truth is we will never know. While it may be a blood feast, it certainly is NOT a recreation of some peaceful festival where Natives and whites all got together for potato sack races and barbecue. At best on the nice side I am imagining it was a feast of thanks they got through a tough time and they invited some local Native leaders as a temporary show of friendship. I guess at worst it is a celebration of killing enemies.

As for Russell Means, he's a pretty good man. Flawed like all people, but he would at least have something to show his idea isn't 100% fabrication.

And no, I have not read the Deloria. Sounds very good though. Probably would make me very angry.

message 4: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 8 comments Thanksgiving; the celebration of the raping, pillaging, and the exploitation of the land and its people. This is the essentially the basis of Thanksgiving whether people realize it or not.

My feelings are what's done can't be undone. I think it's important to educate oneself of the past so we can make better decisions in the present moment. In no way do I find this holiday as appeasing to the many years of injustice but I do find it somewhat relieving that at least folks are grateful. Although, one has to honestly admit that being thankful is not usually running through peoples heads on this day.

But being around family for me is always good.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (zhelicarol) Speaking of Thanksgiving, does any one know of a good biography of Squanto? I'm fascinated by the fact that he spent so much time in Europe and that he was able to make his way back to America. Most of the books I've seen on his life have been for young readers.
Carol

message 6: by Red (new)

Red Haircrow (redhaircrow) | 15 comments I do not celebrate Thanksgiving, though I realize it is a holiday many new Americans think of as a historically positive one. There is legend, myth and fact involved it's creation.

Now for most natives I know, we don't celebrate it, but then we are not Christian either, but it has become a time where you're off from work and school and of course you get together, and you end of drumming, eating and having a good time.