The Geek Girls Book Club discussion

Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
This topic is about Dragonflight
Dragonflight > Our Dragonflight begins...

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krystle (krystleskarma) | 11 comments I really liked this book! Back in the day when starting fantasy reading I never really was interested in reading her but I see I was missing out. Can't wait to discuss!

Laura (pixiestyx) | 13 comments Just finished it and I really liked it too! I've never read Anne McCaffrey before, but now I'm ready to throw books #2 & #3 into to the top 5 of my to-read list.

Elisabeth | 48 comments This is one of my favorite fun reads. Delightful and engaging, with a whole troupe of fascinating characters, including a wonderful heroine! (Robinton is my favorite, though.) I have read nearly all the Pern books McCaffrey wrote herself; it's a world I enjoy visiting frequently.
I know when I pick up something by Anne McCaffrey, the good guys are going to win, even if things get ugly first. And I'm going to meet someone I really like.

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shananigan) | 5 comments Waiting still for it to arrive at my library ... :/

Natascha (ThatTasch) | 2 comments I've been really enjoying reading it so far. It has helped to distract me from everything that has been going on with work and my studies. I'm really looking forward to discussing it with everybody.

message 7: by Kari (new)

Kari (Kaizerin) I'm finding it really difficult going--the relationship between Lessa and F'lar is so unpleasant, I cringe every time they have a scene together. I just about gave it up at one point, but decided to persevere.

Elisabeth | 48 comments Kari, isn't it a #1 rule of romance that the two have to start out hating each other? ;)
I'm sort of kidding; if this was a typical romance I'd have hated it. (I hate that crap.) It's more like, she's someone who's been through some serious ugly since a very young age, and has to grow up out of it. He sees the gold in her, even though she can be a brat. And he's a soldier; he's tough on people, doesn't know any other way to be. He knows they need to be prepared for difficulties ahead. And she admires and respects that in him, even when he's a jerk to her. Ultimately, they are both on the same page.
I thought it was totally worth it.

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shananigan) | 5 comments Just got it in ... Finishing up another book then diving in!

Krystle (krystleskarma) | 11 comments I liked the fact that McCaffery doesn't spend too much of the story on their romantic relationship. I like my romances but not having it be a main storyline of the book was sort of refreshing.

Elisabeth | 48 comments Krystle wrote: "I liked the fact that McCaffery doesn't spend too much of the story on their romantic relationship. I like my romances but not having it be a main storyline of the book was sort of refreshing."

I totally agree. :)

Rachel | 15 comments I actually started the Pern series in high school when my (then unknown) future husband suggested I read Dragon Dawn. I've read all the books at least twice, and I'm looking forward to rereading Dragon Flight when I finish my current book.

Kari, healthy relationships have lots of give and take, and generally Anne McCaffery creates healthy relationships for her main characters. Give it some time, F'lar and Lessa will bring out the best in each other.

Rachel | 15 comments I should edit that to: I've read all the books McCaffery wrote herself at least twice.

message 14: by Jeni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeni De Jesús (NerdyGeekWife) | 11 comments I have to admit at my house my husband is the McCaffery Fan, not myself.

Heather Schilling (hmschilling) | 3 comments I haven't read this book since I was in middle school. I've forgotten how good it is.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shananigan) | 5 comments I really tried to read this ... But I just could not get into it :/

Nicole (NikkiSticks) | 399 comments Mod
Many have wanted to start talking about Dragonflight so I say, let's get on it! Please keep posting your thoughts and questions about the book here.

unread topics | mark unread