Pittsburgh Goodreaders discussion

Favorite reading places

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore | 12 comments When I first moved to Pittsburgh, I liked to read in North Park, and I imagined reading at the fountain in Point Park, but never did. Do any of you have fun local places you like to read?

message 2: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Rob McMonigal | 18 comments Mod
When I lived on the east end, I loved going to either Shenley Park to sit on the hill or my little green space that's just an oversized median in Bloomfield.

Have not found such a place in my new south hills area yet, maybe next summer...

-Rob

message 3: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Rachael | 7 comments Any place I get the chance to read is my favorite. :D

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 2 comments One of the best things about being a bus rider is turning a commute into reading time. This also makes a good cover for secret people-watching. PAT bus readers unite! We should start an in transit book club.

Jason ("jcreed") (jcreed) | 1 comments Bus reading plus secret people watching is indeed a good time.

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 7 comments I rode the bus to work almost every day for nearly five years when I worked at Carnegie Mellon. It was a great way to get in reading.

message 7: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (bombnomnom) I'm actually studying at Carnegie Mellon which gives me access to some of the museums in the area for free. I of course abuse this to its full potential by going down to Phipps and reading amongst the flowers at any opportunity.

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 7 comments When I worked at Carnegie Mellon, I loved to read over lunch in the garden between the Tepper school and Hunt Library.

message 9: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 12 comments Anthony, reading at Phipps sounds heavenly! They probably don't have nice cushy sofas there, but just being among all the flowers would probably be worth it even if it weren't free! Might have to try it sometime.

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (Jamese) I work at Carnegie Museums but I like slipping away to the bamboo courtyard at Carnegie Library for some lunchtime reading.

message 11: by Jason (last edited May 12, 2008 01:06PM) (new)

Jason (hodown94) | 5 comments CAPPY'S! In Shadyside. it is a rock n' roll paradise for all readers alike. And one Carl Lisberger once described it as the exact setting of Ernest Hemingway's "A Clean well-lighted Place".

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Going for a bike ride over to Frick Park to get in some reading during the summer is perfect.

message 13: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Cook | 1 comments I prefer the good ol'Cathedral of Learning, sitting in the Gothic style great room is a great atmosphere for reading (even with its hard wood chairs/benches and poor lighting).

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 7 comments My all time favorite place to read is my front porch, especially in the morning: a comfy chair, a cup of French roast, the neighbor's cat (who is really lobbying hard to be our cat) and my love/hate relationship with the arching mulberry tree. My other favorite reading places are the Squirrel Hill branch of the CPL - with the, again, comfy chairs and the vista through the windows, and the 61C coffee shop. When I used to commute from Park Place to Uptown for work, I loved reading/people watching on the bus. I especially liked seeing what other people were reading.

message 15: by Sierra (last edited Jul 04, 2008 08:02AM) (new)

Sierra (sierra_) In South Hills/Bethel Park area, if you go back behind Giant Eagle and Best Buy, there's a cute little park that no one ever goes to. I used to read there on my lunch when I worked at Washington Mutual.

message 16: by Jennie (new)

Jennie 61C cafe in Squirrel Hill -- if you sit inside the music is great and there's much less distraction. Outside there's more loud conversation and talking between tables, which can distract but if the weather's nice you can't beat it. Plus, the chocolate croissants are killer!

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 7 comments Starlight - the 61C is one of my fave places, too. I love to get a book at the library or Barnes & Noble, then head to the 61C for a latte and a good read.

message 18: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Yes, not only is it a great place to read, but it has excellent access to books! Do you live in Squirrel Hill? I would say I'm a semi-regular at the 61C. We've probably seen each other there. : )

message 19: by Maria (new)

Maria (minks05) | 5 comments i have to say my front porch...i don't get a chance to read on my lunch hour, and it's hard to squeeze in time during the week. so i would go with my porch/yard for weekends, and my bed for weeknights!!

message 20: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4 comments My favorite reading spots are my backyard glider and the grassy area outside Rockwell Hall at Duquesne University on my lunch hour when it's warm and sunny.

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 7 comments Starlight - I live near Regent Sq. and don't frequent the 61C as much as I used to due to a chronic illness. But I still stop in on occasion. You can't miss me, I have long red hair with gray streaks (Mother Nature is an interesting beautician). There used to be a neat little used book store up the street on Murray, but I think it's gone now.

message 22: by Shannon (last edited Jan 30, 2009 01:05PM) (new)

Shannon Hedges | 5 comments Crazy Mocha in Bloomfield is a nice place to read, too. My husband and I read on their sidewalk patio if the hipsters inside are being too noisy. Sometimes, I just walk with an open book in hand between classes if it's the only free time I have. I agree with Rachael: Any place I get the chance to read is my favorite. :)

message 23: by Jason (last edited Jan 27, 2009 11:44AM) (new)

Jason (hodown94) | 5 comments The Tango Cafe at Forward and Murray is awesome. It's owned by an Argentinian family who make spectacular desserts. Dulce de leche that will make you ache with sensation. A lot of foreigners seem to go there as well. Not one time that i've heard a conversation in english there. Whether it be spanish, french, serbian, Arabic or Israeli, it caters to a wide audience somehow. Plus it's not as crowded as the 61C--i feel like dialogue is practically prohibited in that place.

message 24: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 7 comments Jason wrote: "The Tango Cafe at Forward and Murray is awesome. It's owned by an Argentinian family who make spectacular desserts. Dulce de leche that will make you ache with sensation. A lot of foreigners see..."
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. Do they serve food, or just coffee bar stuff?

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason (hodown94) | 5 comments Deborah wrote: "Jason wrote: "The Tango Cafe at Forward and Murray is awesome. It's owned by an Argentinian family who make spectacular desserts. Dulce de leche that will make you ache with sensation. A lot of ..."

They serve sandwiches too. Now's the best time to check it out!!!

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason (hodown94) | 5 comments I realized a short time ago i like reading in kitchens

message 27: by Lorie (new)

Lorie (regal70) Tiffany wrote: "One of the best things about being a bus rider is turning a commute into reading time. This also makes a good cover for secret people-watching. PAT bus readers unite! We should start an in trans..."

I have almost an hour commute each way to work with a transfer in the middle, plus I work near the main Carnegie library. Bottom line: I'm ALWAYS on the bus, OVERTLY reading but COVERTLY nebbing. LOL. How true that is Tiffany!!! Just amazes me what people will say on the bus in front of total strangers (to each other and especially on the phone).

message 28: by Audra (new)

Audra (doneitallmom) | 2 comments Tiffany I totally agree with u I'm a "T" & bus rider, there R time I take the bus even when I don't have too, because me time to read & relax. It's time to myself, I have # boys ages 4, 9, 16, so u know mom's private or quite time is almost nonexistant. I also love to read in bed before turning in for the night, and at the park.

message 29: by Roberta (new)

Roberta I walk to work so, unlike many of you, I can't read on the bus or T. But what I do LOVE to do is download a book to my MP3 player and listen to it on my walks to and from work. I have a half-hour walk each way. That's a lot of listening time. Right now I'm listening to "Price and Prejudice".

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 4 comments Lorie wrote: "Just amazes me what people will say on the bus in front of total strangers (to each other and especially on the phone)."

Lorie, I am always stunned by the conversations people will have on buses or in public places and learned last night from an acquaintance and bus rider that he recently bought a device that wipes out cell phone communication within a certain radius of the holder. I didn't get many details, but he reported that his bus rides are much more peaceful of late...

My favorite reading spot is in my bed, propped up with pillows and surrounded by dogs...preferably with a light rain or even a thunderstorm outside.

And Roberta, I agree - audio books are my saving grace. I find them to be the best company when I need to clean the house or work on some physical project, and sometimes when my eyes bother me, it is the only alternative. I've recently "read" The Kite Runner, a whole bunch of Sherlock Holmes stories read marvelously by David Timson, O Jerusalem by Laurie S. King, and I'm about to start Falling Man by Dom DeLillo. Can't wait!

message 31: by Frances (new)

Frances Pawley (Frances60) | 4 comments I like to read at the table. Just me and my book. I lay the book down. Elbows on table, hands over my ears (to cut out any sounds) and then read... absolute bliss!

message 32: by Brennan (new)

Brennan | 1 comments There's a spot in the Carnegie Main Branch Library in Oakland, that I just love. It's on the second floor, in the non-fiction section. Theres a bunch of window seats that look out into the museum, and I have one that's right next to all the "How to write a novel" books. It's also perfect for people-watching. ;)

message 33: by Sourav (new)

Sourav Chatterjee (souravc83) | 1 comments Coffee Tree Roasters at Shadyside is a cool place.
When I was at Squirrel Hill, 61C used to be one of my haunts.
I go to school at Carnegie Mellon, and while at school, I like to walk over to the Kiva han at Craig sometimes. There's the second floor of Kiva Han with the comfy red chairs.Thats a nice place.

The other cool shadyside place is the Borders on Highland. I usually go there to do my groceries in the weekends at Whole foods or the Trader's Joes nearby, and catch some reading at Borders.

message 34: by Scott (new)

Scott I just joined this group last week. Hello to everyone out there reading in Pittsburgh. I do most of my reading on the "T" going to and from work. It usually gives me about 1 hour (1/2 each way) of uninterrupted reading each day. I read at home too but with three kids running around, it isn't easy.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaspeechpath) | 74 comments Mod
Hi Scott-I wish I could read while moving. I get so car sick. I read at home....I haven't found a good spot outside, yet.

message 36: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Swarrow (tatortot6) | 10 comments Welcome to the board Scott, and I totally can relate to not being able to read at home with kids. We just added a second little family member and I think I've been able to read approximately 100 pages since baby Cooper arrived 6 weeks ago.

message 37: by Scott (new)

Scott Brandon wrote: "Welcome to the board Scott, and I totally can relate to not being able to read at home with kids. We just added a second little family member and I think I've been able to read approximately 100 p..."

Congratulation on the new addition. I'm sure if you get a chance to pick up a book, your eyes probably just start to close anyhow.

Our youngest is 6 and it is still hard to find time to read.

message 38: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (paperbackwriter) | 1 comments When I worked Downtown, I took the bus. The half hour it took to get there, I read a lot.

message 39: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 43 comments Brandon wrote: "Welcome to the board Scott, and I totally can relate to not being able to read at home with kids. We just added a second little family member and I think I've been able to read approximately 100 p..."

Congrats, Brandon! We just had our first very close to you - about 6 weeks ago. My reading schedule has been greatly interrupted, but I guess I can accept that...for now. :)