Drama and Theatre discussion

Selecting a Season at a Community Theatre

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Marc (marcbeaudin) | 21 comments The community theatre where I work (designer/director) is about to begin our selection for next season. I'm curious about ideas any of you may have for plays to do. We usually do two musicals and three straight plays; and of course, need to balance great plays that will challenge our artists and audience with more mainstream stuff that will fill the seats. To give you an idea, our current season is: "Six Degrees of Separation," "Beauty & the Beast," "Enchanted April," "Little Shop of Horrors," and "Amadeus."

Any suggestions???

message 2: by Robbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore I used to go to my college free outdoor theater, and a few that I remember really enjoying were, "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and "I Remember Mama." As I recall, I enjoyed seeing the same actors playing lead parts in both plays.

message 3: by Natalia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Natalia I personally really enjoyed working on "Titus Andronicus" and "The Colored Museum" - both challenging for artists and audience alike.

message 4: by Ali (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Ali Great, are we celebrating a holiday season? Any happening on stage? not even in US?

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm going to recommend a combination of edgy stuff but also some classics and big sellers:

Plays: The Boys Next Door
Moon over Buffalo
The Moustrap
Lost in Yonkers
Steel Magnolias
Noises Off
Arsenic and Old Lace

Musicals:
Forever Plaid
Urinetown
Big River
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change (we've done it twice in the last 5 years and it's sold out both runs)
Fiddler on the Roof is always a big money maker

And you can never go wrong with a Rogers & Hammerstein in your season. Sound of Music and Oklahoma tend to be the biggest sellers. Carousel is depressing as hell but if you have good musicians and dancers it can be amazing.

message 6: by Marc (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Marc (marcbeaudin) | 21 comments Great suggestions. Thanks to you all. Some of these we've done recently, but I'm going to look in to several. I'll be looking into "Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet),"I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change," and "I Remember Mama" especially.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 32 comments I hope this comment is not too late to be helpful at all, but our theatre tries to do an original work at least every two years or so. We are fortunate to have a rather widely-produced and award-winning playwright as a member of our group and have produced several of his pieces over the years. We have also established a pretty good web presence and often receive unsolicited scripts. At least one of these was included in our season last year and was very successful. Hope some of this is helpful (if late in coming).

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) A few good comedies to do:
Larry Shue - The Foreigner
Larry Shue - The Nerd
Steve Martin - Picasso at the Lapin Agile
I hear his "The Underpants" is also very good.

I've directed The Foreigner and Picasso, both shows are very fun to work on. For the Foreigner you NEED a trapped door, so if you don't have a proper stage with trapped doors or anyway to build a platform high enough for some crawl-space or an extention to put a trapped door in it's extremely difficult. The script has some business using the "cellar door".

The only real difficult thing with Picasso is figuring out how to pull off changing the painting. Its not difficult just challenging to come up with a way that isn't too obvious or cheap-looking. My only regret with the show was it is written as one-act, but the venue we produced it in insisted on having an intermission so I put the intermission in at Picasso's entrance (which is about 1/2 way). It isn't too practical but is one of only a few places it somewhat makes sense for an intermission.