Literary Prizes discussion

It's Just $10,000: The Pulitzer

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Conrad (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Conrad | 45 comments Mod
Norman Mailer died! And that reminded me that we don't have a topic around here for discussing past, present, or future Pulitzers. So here's one. It isn't awarded until April, so carry on, I suppose.

The Mailer is dead! Long live the Mailer!

message 2: by peg (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 1 comments Are the nominations in yet?

message 3: by Conrad (new)

Conrad | 45 comments Mod
Could be wrong, but I don't think the Pulitzer jury lets the rest of us know who the finalists were until after the fact - they award the prize and note three runners up at the same time. There is no longlist or shortlist.

message 4: by Joe (new)

Joe Mossa | 4 comments
interesting,,the pp is awarded in april for the current year which makes the choices confusing to date. i began collecting them when my fav author richard russo won for EMPIRE FALLS. the national book award is awarded in feb i believe but represents the previous year s books which makes more sense from a dating standpoint.
i loved this year s winner OSCAR after i got used to his slang.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 6 comments Marilynne Robinson has to go "Home" shut out! This seems to the be the time when authors can talk about the unimportance of literary prizes, except from a monetary and sales point of view, of course (Isn't every library now obligated to carry a copy of Olive Kitteridge to place up there on the new acquisitions shelf next to five Stephen Kings?) Didn't Netherland get its due from the NBCCC or Pen/Faulkner people?

message 6: by sirin (new)

sirin (sirinjung) | 1 comments I haven't read Olive Kitteridge and never heard of Strauss until this week. Hope her stuff has the same spice, passion and pathos that Junot Diaz's "The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" has -- but seeing how Kitteridge is about New Englanders and lives that quietly implode -- I am skeptical.

I wouldn't have been surprised (but definitely rolled my eyes) if O'Neill's "Netherland" got the prize. His lawyer-speak shines through with all his methodical prose...those neat sentences are easy to swallow, but what does that do ?

I'm a third of the way through with Erdrich's "Plague of Doves." Damn good, should have won.

message 7: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 6 comments Well, I checked the catalogue on my library's website, and whether anyone reads them or not, there are 12 copies of Martin Dressler available in the system as opposed to two copies of The Manikin and no copies of Ursula LeGuin's Unlocking the Air, which were the other fiction finalists the year Dressler won.
At some point in their reading life, many decide to be completists whether they chose to read every book in their town library (hopefully small) or every Newberry Award winner (quickly stymied by The Story of Mankind or Rifles for Watie) or every major book award winner in a calendar year (with the Man Booker's often throwing an impenetrable curveball) or plain and simple, just reading every Pulitzer Prize winner. I guess those are the people who keep Martin Dressler on library shelves. Those are the people who will generate traffic for a book others consider long forgotten. Those may be the people who subtly prod Steven Millhauser to keep submitting stories to The New Yorker and seeing them published.
So I can't help but think that the prize confers a small degree of immortality on an author, that it turns his work into a small time capsule of an era and that if I want to know what was going on in the intelligentsia's head in 1997, I had better go check out one of those copies of Steven Millhauser. And maybe I'll be a better reader for it.