The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Classic S&L Video Games

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments What are some of the best RPG or roughly S&L games you have played? I am asking for games you would call True classics, not just "oh X was cool".

For me the best Sword game, without a doubt would be:

Baldurs Gate

And the best Laser:
StarWars: TIE Fighter

message 2: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments You said "TIE Fighter," so I think the thread is closed.

message 3: by Nick (last edited Jan 31, 2012 12:04PM) (new)

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments aldenoneil wrote: "You said "TIE Fighter," so I think the thread is closed."

I prey to dark and mysterious gods everyday hoping for a reboot. A worthy successor is the only thing that could redeem George Lucas.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Nick wrote: "Sierra-Online Space Quest :-)"

Space quest was good, but I was more of a fan of The Dig.

message 6: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) Adventure!

message 7: by Brad Theado (new)

Brad Theado | 217 comments Bard's Tale was my first.

Neverwinter Nights and Diablo 1 were my favorites though.

message 8: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4203 comments Not an RPG, but I really enjoyed Commander Keen on my old Windows 3.1 machine.

I'm a huge Final Fantasy nerd. Or maybe I was. I really hated XII and XIII (XIII more than XII). I've always loved Cid's steampunkish-ness and the entire fantasy setting that the older FF games did. Final Fantasy VI (FF III on the SNES) is actually one of my all-time favorite video games. It might actually be #1.

message 9: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Kevin wrote: "And the best Laser:
StarWars: TIE Fighter "

Elite all the way. I don't need fancy graphics -- wire frame models and six-color graphics are enough for me.

message 10: by Nick (last edited Jan 31, 2012 06:51PM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments You weren't a hard core no graphics player unless you played Net Hack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMj8-a...

Beware of the gru!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCpr_Q...
Big Bang Theory's tribute to text adventures.

message 11: by Remy (new)

Remy | 24 comments Final Fantasy VI was my favorite FF game, but I enjoyed a lot of the SNES RPGs such as Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, amd Soul Blazer. For me, the new RPGs such as Final Fantasy XIII don't have the same hold on me as those Classic RPGs. Now Skyrim...

message 12: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4203 comments Funny I never played Chrono Trigger back in the day but am playing now on DS.

Modern games I'm still into JRPGs, many have heavy fantasy elements.

message 13: by Dan (new)

Dan Debono (dandebono) | 6 comments There was a Nintendo game - the name escapes me! My wife and I played like addicts in the early 90s. You ate food and bought armor, etc. - first one like that we ever played. You went through a tree at one point - help with the name, please!!

I also was hooked on the classic Atari Adventure. Thought it was so cool (and found the secret room with the bridge - which had the creator's initials - wow!!)

message 14: by Dan (new)

Dan Debono (dandebono) | 6 comments Kevin wrote: "What are some of the best RPG or roughly S&L games you have played? I am asking for games you would call True classics, not just "oh X was cool".

For me the best Sword game, without a doubt wou..."

LOVED Baldur's Gate!! Played all the way through with my son.

message 15: by Dan (new)

Dan Debono (dandebono) | 6 comments Does anyone here even remember Newtrek (on teletype machines) - BOSS! What about Pyramid (and another that began with a "q"!) for the Sinclair - they were on cassette! Text sci fi and fantasy!

message 16: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Dan wrote: "Does anyone here even remember Newtrek (on teletype machines)"

Was that the one where the ships were all represented by text characters? If so, I had a C64 version.

message 17: by Kevin (last edited Jan 31, 2012 07:57PM) (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Keith wrote: "Adventure!"

You mean the game created by Warren Robinett?

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Sean wrote: "Kevin wrote: "And the best Laser:
StarWars: TIE Fighter "

Elite all the way. I don't need fancy graphics -- wire frame models and six-color graphics are enough for me."

Elite was an incredibly complex game, I had it on my C64.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Nick wrote: "You weren't a hard core no graphics player unless you played Net Hack."

I have trouble getting into net hack or Dwarf Fortress. I am spoiled my my near photo realistic graphics.

Nick also wrote: "Beware of the gru!!!"

You have been eaten by a Gru. nothing is more terrifying.

message 20: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3639 comments Mod
These may be recent but they both qualify as modern classics.

Sword: Torchlight

Laser: Mass Effect 2

message 21: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Matheson (tanstaafl) | 31 comments Kevin wrote: "Keith wrote: "Adventure!"

You mean the game created by Warren Robinett?"

I suspect he means the original text Adventure, now more commonly called Colossal Cave

message 22: by Joseph (last edited Feb 01, 2012 11:02AM) (new)

Joseph | 2312 comments Planescape Torment. And the original Knights of the Old Republic.

Of more recent vintage, I really enjoyed Dragon Age and Mass Effect (all installments of each) and I just finished up The Witcher (the first one), which was excellent (in spite of clunky combat)!

message 23: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments Quest for the Crown is one of my favourites.

That aside, the Quest for Glory series is my favourite all time video game series.
Elsa Von Spielburg was my first e-crush.

message 24: by Nick (last edited Feb 01, 2012 01:32PM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Colin wrote: "Quest for the Crown is one of my favourites.

That aside, the Quest for Glory series is my favourite all time video game series.
Elsa Von Spielburg was my first e-crush."

I played that game when it was still called "Hero's Quest" :-).

Played it on a Tandy 1000 SX. Upgraded to a full meg of memory with no harddrive and dual floppy discs (the 5 1/4 type).
EDIT:
Okay, upgraded to 768k of memory. Not a full meg.
http://www.pcmuseum.ca/details.asp?id...

Hehe .. I love the commercial for it with Bill Bixby on that page.

message 25: by Been (new)

Been | 125 comments Dwarf Fortress or the Ultima series are probably my favourite Sword-themed games of all time. But my Laser choice is a little more tricky, but it's probably either one of the Wing Commander games, or maybe Star Wars: Jedi Knight. And yes, I am a tiny bit of an Origin ho.

There's only one game though (that I've played anyway) that comes to mind that's both Sword AND Laser though, and that's the first Star Ocean game. The whole thing plays like one of those Star Trek episodes where a shuttle crash lands on a planet that's in a much more medieval themed level. Only with magic.

message 26: by Vince (new)

Vince | 8 comments Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger jumped to my mind right off the bat. They have elements of both Swords and Lasers.

But, the Sword game that started it all was The Legend of Zelda.

For the Laser game it would be Halo.

message 27: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments The Zork games were great, Dungeonmaster on the Amiga as well as Eye of the Beholder.
Multiplayer wise the original MUD, written by Richard Bartle still evokes pleasurable memories.
Even though I've been playing similar games on the computer since 1983, I had been unimpressed by more modern offerings until the fantastic, superb awesomeness that is SKYRIM. Is this not the best computer based RPG we have ever seen?

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Noel wrote: "The Zork games were great, Dungeonmaster on the Amiga as well as Eye of the Beholder.
Multiplayer wise the original MUD, written by Richard Bartle still evokes pleasurable memories.
Even though I..."

Skyrim is definitely a title contender, but then so is every other elder scrolls game.

message 29: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Martinson | 24 comments Sword: Skyrim or classically Final Fantasy 3/6

Laser: Mass Effect series all one game as far as I'm concerned. In fact I intend to play them straight through once 3 comes out next month.

message 30: by Ed (last edited Feb 03, 2012 12:45AM) (new)

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 171 comments Sword: Ultima IV (Origin Systems), Enchanter/Sorcerer/Spellbreaker trilogy (Infocom)

Laser: X-Wing Collector's Edition (LucasArts), Space Rogue (Origin Systems)

I couldn't get into TIE Fighter. I prefer the Rebel Alliance, I guess. I bought a Thrustmaster (*snicker*) flightstick just to play X-Wing. My favorite X-Wing mission is the one where you pilot a B-Wing and you take on a Star Destroyer (Bonus Historical Mission #3, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4WPAB...). I played that one mission over and over again.

Infocom games were my crack in the '80s.

message 31: by Jason (new)

Jason Bergman (loonyboi) | 166 comments My all-time favorites:

Sword: Morrowind or possibly Planescape: Torment, but I don't think that qualifies as either Sword or Laser.

Laser: Fallout, but I think Mass Effect is a better exemplar of the sci-fi genre (especially that amazing soundtrack).

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Ed wrote: "Sword: Ultima IV (Origin Systems), Enchanter/Sorcerer/Spellbreaker trilogy (Infocom)

Laser: X-Wing Collector's Edition (LucasArts), Space Rogue (Origin Systems)

I couldn't get into TIE Fighter. I..."

Xwing also a classic!

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Is anyone into the Mechwarrior games (Battletech)?

I think mercenaries qualifies as a classic, and am excited that a new installment to this series is finaly in the works!

message 34: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Ed wrote: "I couldn't get into TIE Fighter. I prefer the Rebel Alliance, I guess. I bought a Thrustmaster (*snicker*) flightstick just to play X-Wing. My favorite X-Wing mission is the one where you pilot a B-Wing and you take on a Star Destroyer."

Why would you want to fight for the bad guys?

message 35: by Ed (new)

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 171 comments Sean wrote: "Why would you want to fight for the bad guys?"

That's my thinking as well, but TIE Fighter is highly regarded for its branching storyline that involved a conspiracy within the Imperial ranks.

message 36: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments But the Imperials are the good guys. As an X-wing pilot you're fighting to restore the entrenched power elites of the Old Republic to power, bringing back an era when slavery was rampant in the galaxy and the Republic's jackbooted Jedi servants ignored it in favor of dealing with minor trade disputes that affected the interests of their masters.

message 37: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Sean wrote: "But the Imperials are the good guys. As an X-wing pilot you're fighting to restore the entrenched power elites of the Old Republic to power, bringing back an era when slavery was rampant in the gal..."

Just following orders, sir.

message 38: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Kings quest, Police quest and Spacequest games are on sale at GOG for 50% off!

http://www.gog.com/promo/activision_q...

message 39: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2521 comments For sword it would have to be DungeonMaster on the Amiga, or Morrowind on the PC. Over the course of playing the later game over 2 years I added close to 1.3 gb of mods to the original game. As it happens I got to play the original Zork on an IBM mainframe, but did not like it much because it was impossible to map out and made little sense sometimes.

For Laser I would have to go with Elite, which was available on just about every platform at the time. It was one of the first to use wire-frame graphics and some of the game was loosely based on the Traveller role play rules.

message 40: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments AndrewP wrote: "For sword it would have to be DungeonMaster on the Amiga, or Morrowind on the PC. Over the course of playing the later game over 2 years I added close to 1.3 gb of mods to the original game. As it ..."

Wait? You have an IBM mainframe?

message 41: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2521 comments Kevin wrote: "Wait? You have an IBM mainframe? "

LOL.. no but the place I worked at as a programmer did. People complain about new games costing $60 today but can you imagine how much of the companies money got wasted by people playing Zork at about $1 a minute for CPU time.

message 42: by running_target (last edited Feb 08, 2012 08:41AM) (new)

running_target (running_t4rg3t) | 52 comments Baldurs Gate is the correct answer (as long as you include BG 2) in the fantasy category.

Wing Commander Privateer wins for SciFi since I think trying to jam System Shock 2 into the laser category would be disingenuous.

message 43: by Kevin (last edited Feb 08, 2012 03:02PM) (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments AndrewP wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Wait? You have an IBM mainframe? "

LOL.. no but the place I worked at as a programmer did. People complain about new games costing $60 today but can you imagine how much of the compa..."

Yes I can. For me it was lugging this to school with me everyday.

description

http://www.amazon.com/BASIC-Computer-...

message 44: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2312 comments I miss BASIC!

message 45: by Mark (new)

Mark (mndrew) | 31 comments CRPG's basically peaked with "Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge". Real time and third person perspective has killed the genre.

message 46: by Elianara (new)

Elianara | 22 comments Haven't played any Laser games, really, not enough to have an opinion on that front, but my favorite sword has to be Morrowind. Or maybe Sacred. No Morrowind is better.

message 47: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Dark Forces is one of my favorites. I only recently went back and finished it - it still stands up.

message 48: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Dan wrote: "There was a Nintendo game - the name escapes me! My wife and I played like addicts in the early 90s. You ate food and bought armor, etc. - first one like that we ever played. You went through a tree at one point - help with the name, please!!"

Dragon Warrior? I was hooked on that one and it sounds the same, although when it comes to RPGs they all sound the same.

message 49: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments I'm not sure if my choices are 'True classics' but my all time favorite sword would be World of Warcraft, my laser non-RPG would be the Halo franchise and my laser RPG would be a toss up between Deus Ex and KotOR.

I was a big Morrowind fan as well but I didn't dump nearly as many hours into it as I did WoW.

message 50: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Boots wrote: "Dan wrote: "There was a Nintendo game - the name escapes me! My wife and I played like addicts in the early 90s. You ate food and bought armor, etc. - first one like that we ever played. You went t..."

Wizards and warriors or Ironsword?

« previous 1 3