Infidel Infidel discussion

Infidel

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michelle This is a haunting and powerful book. I read it this summer, and often find myself throughout the day hurting and praying for "today's 6,000 girls." If you've read the book, you'll know what I mean....or maybe you can guess what is done to--according to Ali's figures--six thousand Islamic girls somewhere in the world each day. ( I won't be more specific here, as I'm new to your group and don't know the nature of your discussion or the age of your members.)

There is so much more I could say about this valuable book, but your posts on this loop may be short...as everyone is reading books, not posts!

Respectfully submitted,
Michelle Miller

Mary Kaye This is one of the most powerful books I have ever read. Ms.Ali is a remarkable woman; one who's opinion and advice we should listen to and follow.

Gayle I agree with you two women. I read this book in October and it still haunts me. I recommend it. Another book in this category is Khaled Hosseini's "A Thousand Splendid Suns" It will rip your heart out too.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto I just finished Infidel and I couldn't agree more with all the above comments. I haven't decided yet whether this book made me more hopeful or more frightened. Maybe a bit of both? If I had to describe this book in one word, powerful, would definitely be that word!

Jennifer I hadn't found anyone who has read Infidel until now. Yes, I agree with all of you too. I learned a lot about Islam and the women who live within it. I was so impressed by her intelligence and drive to learn another language and earn money and get herself out of her situation. Two other books I found equally powerful are The Bookseller of Kabul and the Kabul Beauty School.

Leslie It's a book that really makes you appreciate what we have here in America. It makes me want to kick myself in the fanny when I get bummed because my job's not super fulfilling or when I'm mad because we don't get to go on a vacation this year!

Miranda Infidel is probably my favourite memoir I've ever read and I recommend it to everyone I meet. I first read it almost 2 years ago and it still sticks with me. So powerful, inspiring, beautiful. Glad to see others have felt the same way!

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto If you liked Infidel, I would highly recommend Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng. Nien Cheng was a well to do Chinese woman who's life was horribly
affected by the policies of Mao. It takes place from about 1949 to the 198o's(?). At one point around 1968 Nien is imprisoned for 6 years in an unheated, cement cell. At the time I was reading this book all I could think of was that in 1968 I was enjoying all the freedoms of a college campus while this woman was suffering the worst kinds of degradations and abuses you can imagine. That book has really never left me.

Michelle One of the commenters wisely said this book "really makes you appreciate what we have here in America." So true! Ms. Ali *yearned* to understand that very thing, the source of liberty and prosperity in western civilization, so much so that she, amazingly, learned Dutch well enough to attend college there! But how sad that she was given only the current, politically-correct response to her important question. Even though she could see how Islam itself fueled the harsh societies she had just fled, none of her professors showed her how Judeo-Christianity had fed the liberty of the west. Holland, even, has a special place in the history of the other central-western European nations because its fresh and personal embrace of Christianity in the 1500s and 1600s caused it to be a leader in the fight for national freedom and made it a haven for those suffering religious/political abuse elsewhere. As one who has long studied history and written books about it, I've learned one thing: there is no political truth without spiritual truth, and there is no political freedom without spiritual freedom. Then, truth and freedom together give the individual opportunity for prosperity should he/she choose to exert themselves for it. How exciting! An interested person might want to catalog the nations of the world (noting their level of individual freedom and opportunity for prosperity over many centuries) and then note the nation's most prevalent religion: Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism, Catholicism, Protestant Christianity, etc. Fascinating! And I think it was this that Ms. Ali was, in part, wanting to explore, along with the political systems that derive from truthful beliefs.