The Next Best Book Club discussion

TNBBC group quizzes > Books and Reading Survey/Meme

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Leila (new)

Leila (softlyblush) First, I hope this is allowed. I found it in a bookblog and thought it was a fun thing to post to see what everyone else responds. It's basically a book survey or a meme consisting of 19 questions. Some questions have individual threads here though.

I wanted to put this in the 'general' folder since it's more general but I keep get directed to the front page when I click on that folder :/ Alas, it does fit here as well I guess since it is a lot about reading habits as well.

Questions
1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?
2) The best reading experience you have ever had?
3) Which book has affected or influenced you the most so far?
4) Have you ever read a book that you got really scared of?
5) What do you use as a bookmark?
6) When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...?
7) Do you remember the first book that you read?
8) Which do you prefer - paperback or hardcover?
9) What are you currently reading? What page are you on?
10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffeemarks or food crumbs and etc.
11) Does the title, amount of pages and the cover affect you when you are considering a specific book?
12) Do you ever browse through to the last pages in order find out the ending?
13) Have knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not?
14) Is there a book that you have read more than five times?
15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...)
16) Do you sell/give away your books or do you keep them, even though you don't like one of them?
17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom?
18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count ;))
19) Do you keep a reading diary/journal?

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 1628 comments 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had? Not getting to read when I want to
2) The best reading experience you have ever had? getting to read when I want to
3) Which book has affected or influenced you the most so far? Long Way Down made me want to write
4) Have you ever read a book that you got really scared of? I don't get scared to easily
5) What do you use as a bookmark? I have quite a few but lately I have been using a bookmark of my Underscgrad Logo
6) When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...? I get most of my reading done on the way to work and back Sometimes I can get it in when I am at work and home
7) Do you remember the first book that you read? Not at all
8) Which do you prefer - paperback or hardcover? I like paperback simply because it is easier to store
9) What are you currently reading? What page are you on? I am currently reading The Glass Castle and I am on page 25
10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffeemarks or food crumbs and etc. I write in my textbooks but the only other time I might write my name in a book is if I am letting someone borrow it
11) Does the title, amount of pages and the cover affect you when you are considering a specific book? It used to but I am learning to get over that
12) Do you ever browse through to the last pages in order find out the ending? No way!
13) Have knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not? I can't read the book after I saw the movie. I Hate for a book to be ruined
14) Is there a book that you have read more than five times? No I never read on more than once
15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...) I may have missed a subway stop or two or missed some of a conversation but nothing more than that
16) Do you sell/give away your books or do you keep them, even though you don't like one of them? I usually sell the ones I don't like
17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom? I don't but I really should. I don't like spending a lot of time in the bathroom
18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count ;)) I do have a book journal that I keep track of what I am reading and what I want to read
19) Do you keep a reading diary/journal? See above

message 3: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?

Atomised - Michel Houllebecq - I have never hated a book so much.

Probably Harry Potter as it took up almost 10 years of my life of enjoyment, anticipation and excitement.

I'm not sure. They all do to a certain extent. I suppose All Quiet on the Western Front really affected me because it is the only book that has really taken me to the trenches. And that, in history we always look at it from a rather black and white POV. Germans are bad, Britain, France and allies are good. We never really see it from the perspective of the other side - and AQOTWF just showed it doesn't matter what side you were on, it was the same for every soldier.

Not really. A couple gave me nightmares for reading too close to bed time, but I've never been scared of them.

The bookmark I bought from the "I Love You This Much" range.

6) When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...?

I read whenever - but I seem to get a lot done on buses and ferries.

7) Do you remember the first book that you read? No... probably Spot the Dog and the first novel I suppose would have been something Enid Blyton.

I prefer to buy paperback. They're cheaper and more comfortable to hold.

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver, pg 62

NO!

11) Does the title, amount of pages and the cover affect you when you are considering a specific book?

Yes, when I'm browsing the shop it does. The first thing you see usually is the title on the spine so it should stick out. It shouldn't be too long, it should be easy to read and interesting. An attractive front cover might lead me to look inside or at the blurb and also might lead me to pick it up. I don't have time to look at every book so when I'm browsing I am attracted by good titles and nice front covers. Doesn't mean it will be any good and a boring title or cover doesn't mean it will be boring but with such a huge selection I have to make my first choices on whether or not the title or cover attracts me.

Length doesn't put me of, but the price might - if it is over £8 say then it is unlikely I'd buy it unless I thought it was worth it.

I used to when I was younger but not anymore.

13) Have knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not?

I don't let it effect me though I prefer not knowing the ending obviously. If I liked the story, I'd read the book. If I didn't like it, I won't read it.

Harry Potters, Dogsbody and Howls Moving Castle - probably more then 20. In the case of Dogsbody I'd say closer to over 50.

15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...)

Uhm, well I have occasionally walked into people cos I tend to read whilst waiting for the ferry and getting off it.

16) Do you sell/give away your books or do you keep them, even though you don't like one of them?

If I don't like the book, I'll give it to charity. If I liked it but don't really want to keep it - I don't know I can't explain it - I'll give it up. There's some books I keep because I really enjoyed it and want to keep that 'memory' on my shelf even if I think I won't read it again. I might I suppose so... some books I keep because I know I'll want to read them again. Some books I give away even if I really enjoyed them because... I don't know.

17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom?

My book goes everywhere and I read on the loo... not in the bath though as I have showers.

18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count ;))

I used to, but then I found GR and that took over. I think in the new year I'm going to organise some spreadsheet thing so I can create pie charts and shit...

No, well... maybe I should. Isn't that kinda the same thing as above?

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9741 comments Mod
Leila... I am always up for a new book quiz....
As you can see from browsing the fun and games section, I had posted quite a few....

:)

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9741 comments Mod
Questions
Catch 22 and Atlas Shrugged! Those two books were horrible. I couldnt get past 60 pages in either of them. Kept rereading them to see what I was missing, I couldnt do it. It was torture!

I have had many. Most recently, having my 5 year old read along with me when I read to him. He is getting to the point where he can sound out words more easily!

Books that have stuck with me and made me see society and humanity in a different, and not always pleasing, light, such as Blindness, The Road, Earth Abides....

Ha ha. I have had a few that left me thinking late into the night, creepy and haunting... Come Closer, and Heart Shaped Box, and the begining to The Third Policeman.

5) What do you use as a bookmark? I have a few. The one I use most often is my a bookmark with my sons school picture in it. For poetry book I have a metal one with beads.

I read on my days off, as much as I possibly can.I work four long long days, and am too tired to read when I get home, so I try to make up for it when I am off :)

I would have to assume it was a Dr. Suess book.

Paperback, easier to hold, handle, and carry!

I am currently reading Of Human Bondage. I think I am page 257... I may be a little further along??? It is in the other room and I am too lazy to go check.

10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffeemarks or food crumbs and etc.
Do I ever, well... unintentionally, sure. Ive dripped water on a page before, and creased a cover corner accidently...

Considering to read it? Not really. Maybe the amount of pages. If I am scheduled to read a book with someone, and need to squeeze something in before it, number of pages matters! I chose the cover when I buy it, so cover never affects me.

NO! I hate being spoiled. I like to read through and not peek. I wont even read introductions anymore becuase Ive been burned on those before.

I dont like to be spoiled, but that has never stopped me from reading and enjoying the novel. Ex: I saw Princess Bride, and High Fidelity waaaay before I ever knew there was a book. I really enjoyed the books when I read them. The only downside is that I picture the actors in my head as I read.

No, I dont think so.

Uhm...No.

I keep every single one of them. I like to keep the ones I hated just so when someone browses my bookshelves, I can point it out and say "theres a bugger that caused me no end of greif. Bad bad book!"

C'mon, even if someone says they dont, you know they do. Of course I do!

I list all the novels I want to buy in a journal, and scratch them out when I purchase them. Otherwise, Goodreads is the only place I log them or keep track of them.

Isnt this just a continuation of #18. I dont log anything Ive read anywhere but here... tho I wish I had in the past.. Ive read so many books Ive forgotten!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 45 comments 1)The worst reading experience that you have ever had?

Reading "Atlas Shrugged"; I just kept pushing through it and never really understood the point, which made me feel pretty dumb.

Reading when I am feeling pretty awful about myself (especially those Jr High and Highschool years).

Currently that would be "The Book Thief"; it was very haunting.

Maybe scared that I wasn't going to get the point of it.

What ever scrap of paper I can find. I always lose "official bookmarks".

all of the above.

Probably the "Little House on the Prairie" series. I always day-dreamed of living in those days. Preferably with the Ingalls.
But the T.V. show was so unfaithful to the books. I least I thought so.

Trade paperbacks; easier to hold in bed.

"The Brothers Karamosov"; pg 150 or so.

10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in
your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes,
coffeemarks or food crumbs and etc.

oh YES.

Not usually, but I have picked up a book at the library because it was on the "recommended" (is that what you call it?) shelves.

Very rarely; only to find out if I want to keep reading it.

Movie adaptations will sometimes ruin a good book for me.

"To Kill a Mockingbird"

I've burned things while cooking by being distracted by the book.
I once burned the cover of the actual book.

It is very hard to give them away because of the memories they bring back to me. Where I was living, what I was doing at the time, what was going on in my life, etc.

We've had this discussion in book group and it almost always develops into a debate. And Yes.

I always make a resolution to do so and never follow through. I'm too busy reading.

19) Do you keep a reading diary/journal? Same answer as above.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 45 comments Thank you Lori, I feel so much better now about my feelings about "Atlas Shrugged". I was writing my answers before I saw your post!

message 8: by Leila (last edited Nov 26, 2008 08:39AM) (new)

Leila (softlyblush) Thanks Lori for allowing it. I didn't really think of putting it in the fun and games section though.

Oh and about 18-19. I think 18) means more keeping lists and track of books bought, read, want, to-read and etc while a reading diary/journal are more for notes, quotes collection, comments and such. For example, often when you analyze a book for a literature class, it's good to keep a notebook with notes while you read :) We had to do it the first year. It was...distracting for me haha. Although still useful.

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?
having to read the shepherd of the hills in 12th grade reading. horrible. horrible.

last summer i went on vacation to mexico and spent almost the whole week reading on the beach or by the pool.

story by steven james

when i was little (like 7), i used to not read nancy drew right before bed because i was afraid that they would scare me.

right now, it's a bookmark for the curriculum library at my university, but i have a ton.

right before bed, or in the bath

no way

hardback or trade paperback

extremely loud and incredibly close, around page 100- but not for sure

the only deliberate mark i make is to put a bookplate in the front cover. i know that i have had water drip onto the pages from a drink or something like that

if i'm just browsing random books at the store, i do judge by covers. but, if it's been recommended at all, nothing matters.

never!

it usually doesn't matter, but i try my hardest to not watch a movie before reading the book.

the hobbit, to kill a mockingbird, harry potter 1

no

if i hate the book, i'll trade it. but i usually only buy books i know i'll love

no

yes, i have a notebook that lists all the book i want to read, and a journal of books i've read.

yes. i keep track of books i've read, the month i read them, my review, and any passages i liked.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 1628 comments You guys might like this then. It allows you to make a list of books to read, favorite books/passages& Books borrowed/lent
Books to Check out: a journal

message 11: by El (new)

El 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?
Bear, Marian Engel. I chose to read this in college for a Canadian Authors class and was horrified. Any time the words "cartilagenous sheath" is used in reference to an animal's junk (and not in a veterinarian setting), I am not found to be jumping for joy.

I've had too many to name.

Harriet the Spy.

I had nightmares after reading either Black Beauty or The Black Stallion. I was young and all I remember is dreaming of a black horse standing outside my bedroom window on the second floor and breathing fire at me.

I tattered Half Price Books bookmark that has been ripped in half in order to use it in more than one book at a time.

6) When do you usually read?
On the bus to and from work, on my lunch break, at home after work... basically whenever I'm breathing.

Not specifically, but it would have been one of the Golden Books.

Depends on what it is and how badly I want to carry it on the bus with me.

The Man Who Cried I Am, John A. Williams, page 85.
The Birth of Tragedy, Nietzsche, page 5.

I used to make my own marks, but I don't any more unless I am positive I won't share the copy with anyone else. Inevitably I always lose crumbs between the pages.

No. If I'm not in the mood to read a large book, I put it aside for a time when I am.

I would rather burn my eyes out.

Yes, I get really grumpy about it, much to my boyfriend's chagrin.

Harriet the Spy, definitely. I probably read that more than five times before I turned ten.

Other than almost miss my bus or my bus stop, no physical harm has come from my reading. I have had stacks of books fall on me during my years of working in bookstores, however.

Due to financial straits in my current life, I have been selling books like it's an Olympic event.

Yes, though only at home, never in public.

I have a notebook filled with books I want to read, and as I read them I mark them off. Then I have another notebook where I write down the titles of books I've just finished, including the author, page number and copyright date.

Just as mentioned in #18.

message 12: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 314 comments 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?

Running with Scissors-thought I'd finish this one before renting the movie, but now I'm not gonna do either!

The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich--didn't change my life, but has given me my guilty reading pleasure. And I've recommended it to so many of my friends and family (esp. those that aren't crazy readers like me) and they've loved it too.

The Lazaurs Case-about the ethics of neonatal intensive care

Growing up it was the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series (more for the pictures than anything else). Recently, Heart Shaped Box freaked me out!

Bookmarks I got for free at the Library of Congress Book Festival back in September

Audiobooks in the car, and reading just after I put my toddler to bed.

Nope. For my sister it was Carina Farina and the Prince of Mince (I remember listening to that one TONS!)

Trade Paperback

New Moon, p. 125

Not usually. I'm sure most of my books have some kind of food crumbs in them.

No, but I try not to buy the ones with movie poster covers

No, but sometimes I reread the back cover (or dust jacket) multiple times as I'm reading the book to remind myself where the plot's supposed to go.

I don't know. I try really hard not to find out stuff like that if I can help it. I don't think I've decided not to read something b/c of it, but maybe I've stopped reading, deciding it's no longer worth it.

When I was a kid probably.

Not that I know of.

Bookmooch (via my sis)

When I give my toddler a bath I usually take a book with me. Don't get a whole lot of reading done, but still...

GR

Nope. Probably should, but I read in so many places I'm sure I'd lose it!

message 13: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?

Grimus Effect - Salman Rushdie.

I've enjoyed a lot of books, more recently The Thirteenth Tale. I enjoyed The Horse Whisperer too.

I don't know really. They all did in some way or the other. Lord of the Rings inspired me, Horse Whisperer made me cry, R.K.Laxman made me laugh, almost all of them make me brood in some way or the other.

Not really.

One of the standard Archies ones.

Mostly before I go to bed, if its a working day. During holidays, ask me times when I don't read. :)

Yeah, one of the Hardy Boys.

Paperback, esp for travelling.

Just finished The Thirteenth Tale, and was going to start 'Measuring the World'.

NO! It disgusts me! Really!

A little. But if the plot at the back cover really rings a bell inside me, I don't consider the length. I really consider the length while browsing non-fictions.

No way!! I hate that! I think it undermines the integrity and respect of the book as well as the author.

Absolute no! But I usually avoid things that might reveal to me the climax of a novel I'm about to read.

Lord of the Rings - 5 times and enjoyed it more everytime.

Not anything I can think of but yeah, I really fall deep into a book sometimes, which has been a cause of some broken conversation threads with friends. But I guess its natural.

I prefer to keep them. Luckily for me, there hasn't been a case yet when I bought a book and didn't like it.

No!

Nothing before GR!

No, but then how does it matter? If some mention of a book I've read comes up, I'm able to recall it immeduately.

message 14: by Jamie (last edited Nov 26, 2008 11:03AM) (new)

Jamie Questions

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb - I loathe this book.

Persuasion by Jane Austen

The Bible

I don't read books that are really scary, but I guess a couple of Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon books got to me a bit.

Random pieces of paper.

Usually at home before bed and during dd's nap.

The first book I remember reading is The Pokey Little Puppy

Paperback

I'm reading Jane Austen's Emma (page 100) and I also just started Alex Haley's A Different Kind of Christmas (page 15).

If I'm not reading a book for school, I don't write in them. I've been contemplating keeping a quote journal, though. I detest finding food crumbs/marks in books, and I'm careful not to leave any in mine.

Not really. I usually only choose a book for its subject matter.

I'll only do this if I really dislike a book (and am determining if I should give up on it or not), otherwise I don't want to spoil anything for myself.

I will read a book if I've seen its movie counterpart, but I usually don't rush out to read them (I've had Gone With the Wind on my TBR shelf for a really long time). That said, I doubt if I would've read HP if I hadn't seen the first few movies. In general, though, I'd much rather read the book first and see the movie a while later.

At this point, I don't think I have (unless we're counting reading my kids their favorite books). In time, I'll have a different answer, as I'm sure I'll read Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, HP, and (maybe) Twilight more than 5 times.

Can't say that I have.

I like to use PaperbackSwap or BookMooch for the books I don't really like. I don't really buy many books, though, since I much prefer to use the library than waste money on something I may not even enjoy.

No, but this makes me wonder where library books have been!

I just kept a TBR list in a Word document until I found GoodReads.

Right now, I just use my thread in the 50 Books Challenge group. I did keep them in a Word document for a while, and I suppose I'll add the books I've read recently to it.

message 15: by Vicki (new)

Vicki 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?

-Moby Dick, senior year of high school. I even had problems getting through the cliff notes.

- A period of time when I was reading a lot of short stories by Charles Baxter and there were countless lines I fell in love with.

- Several of the books by Julia Alvarez, I was taking a major author course and between the books, How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, YO, In the Time of the butterflies, and Something to Declare, and the discussion that evolved, it opened up new ways of looking at books for me and even led me to realize my desire to be in a profession where I can always discuss literature.

- Not the traditional idea of being scared, but I still get freaked out when I read the story, The Lottery by Shirley Jackson.

-Umm, post it notes, paper clips, anything my puppy wont run off with or chew up, which unfortunately rules out the traditional bookmark.

-If I am not working, anytime. If not evening and before I go to bed I usually read a chapter or two.

- No, the first books I seriously remember reading were the Boxcar Children and the Babysitter's club, but there were many more before then.

- paperback if it's my own, but hardcover from the library (the paperbacks seem to always be falling apart there)

- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, page 146

- If I am teaching them I do, or when I was in school I did. I used to also write in books on my own, but I don't do that anymore. No crumbs or stains however!

-It may draw me to the book when in a bookstore, but is not the deciding factor.

-No, I would become apathetic then.. I need the payoff.

- I won't watch the movie of a book I want to read, I need to read the book first.

- Only books I have taught, such as Romeo and Juliet, Farewell to Manzanar, The Odyssey, And Then There Were None, and Secret Life of Bees.

- No, can't say that I have.

- I have three overflowing bookshelves, so unless I am in love with a book, it goes on paperbookswap. This also has to do with why I won't write in my books anymore, I want to send my books in as new as possible condition.

-There are books in every room of the house, there are no exceptions.

- Not really, unless I can get away with iRead on facebook, but honestly I am much better with goodreads. I do have a notebook I jot down books I want to check out though.

- Just for quotes I like.

message 16: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments Questions
1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had? - The Lord Of The Flies - most horrid book I've ever read.

2) The best reading experience you have ever had? The Outlander Series - it was love at first read!!!

3) Which book has affected or influenced you the most so far? The Last Lecture it was really sad but several quotes helped me get through a small rough patch when I was angry and upset.

4) Have you ever read a book that you got really scared of? - I used to read "scary" books all the time but none ever really scared.

5) What do you use as a bookmark? It used to be anything that was laying around...now I use the memorial bookmark from when my grandfather dies...it has his picture and obituary on one side and an American flag/eagle background with the words to taps on the other.

6) When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...? - whenever I find the time

7) Do you remember the first book that you read? - no clue

8) Which do you prefer - paperback or hardcover? I like both but I usually buy paperback because they are cheaper.

9) What are you currently reading? What page are you on? The kitchen god's wife by Amy Tan page 64

10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffeemarks or food crumbs and etc. - "shutters" - no except for textbooks I would never do such a thing especially since most of my books come from the library I work for

11) Does the title, amount of pages and the cover affect you when you are considering a specific book? - title and cover sometimes...pages usually not - I like long books

12) Do you ever browse through to the last pages in order find out the ending? - yeah i do sometimes

13) Have knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not? no - i have read books after seeing the movie occasionally i.e. the Bridget Jones Books/movies, and Chocolat - the books to me are a separate entity from the films

14) Is there a book that you have read more than five times? Not that I know of - too many books out there to read the same book over and over (but I will re-read the Outlander books before the next one comes out)

15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...) no

16) Do you sell/give away your books or do you keep them, even though you don't like one of them? - I joined paperback swap, but before that I donated them to the library - I only keep on to books I plan to read again

17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom? - yeah occasionally

18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count ;)) - Yes before I discovered good reads I created and excel spreadsheet.

19) Do you keep a reading diary/journal? - no

message 17: by Petra Eggs (last edited Nov 26, 2008 08:24PM) (new)

Petra Eggs (PetraX) 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?

I won several prizes in school when I was 13 and was given book tokens to buy books and then bring them to the school for bookplates to be put in and for them to be presented to me on Speech Day. So I bought Lady Chatterly's Lover, Sons and Lovers and lots more D.H. Lawrence books. The school did not approve and substituted hardback Dickens' books which I had to not only read but write essays about. Terrible.

message 18: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriSA-UK) 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?
Hmmm, I don't really have 'bad' reading experiences, because if I'm not enjoying a book I'll give up on it! I suppose I could say reading for essays when I was a student nurse - I have read some really boring articles!

I think the Harry Potter books. I can revisit them time and time again and never tire of them. AND I can enjoy them with my kids too!

Vernon God Little depressed the hell out of me for days. I think mostly because I know there are kids like him out there who just have no hope in life.

Mmm I don't think so ...

I use handmade bookmarks (made by myself or others), little notes the kids write me or sometimes postcards.

In the evening mainly while hubby watches TV, sometimes in bed, lunch time at work if it's not too noisy in the staff room, NEVER on a bus unfortunately as it makes me feel sick.

I don't remember ... I think I learnt to read with the Janet and John books. I loved Enid Blyton as a child (especially the Mallory Towers books!)

I prefer paperback - easier to transport, store and hold!

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, page 108. I am enjoying, but it is taking me a long time. I think I might leave it and come back to it.

No no no!! Not even in text books that I have owned and studied. I make copious notes if I'm studying from a text book.

Yep definitely! The cover has to appeal visually, I don't like buying 'thin' books, but will read them from the library or swaps.

Nope. Am tempted sometimes, but it would just spoil it for me.

It wouldn't put me off but the anticipation would be spoilt.

Most of the Harry Potter books ...

Oh I've had books fall on me from a bookshelf! I have too many for the space I have, so they are stored a bit haphazardly and can be dangerous! (Although I have recently re-organised so they are better now)

I swap my books on ReadIt SwapIt.

No. I don't like to linger on the loo! And I don't often read in the bath as I tend to get the book wet!

I have a spreadsheet! Should I be ashamed?! lol

Not really ... I tried but don't keep it up. Only Goodreads and my spreadsheet (where I rate the books I read)

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriSA-UK) Ok, reading all these has made think I'm odd! Am I losing valuable reading time by not reading on the loo?! lol!!

message 20: by Robin (last edited Nov 27, 2008 06:35AM) (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had? Borrowed a book from a friend, the dog chewed on the corner, and I could not find that version to sell ;-(

2) The best reading experience you have ever had? Sitting on a ledge, eating a picnic lunch, off the back of the Lincoln Memorial, reading the final edit of my husbands first book before it went to the publisher.

3) Which book has affected or influenced you the most so far? The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. I'm a work-o-holic and can really identify with Gregor Samson.

4) Have you ever read a book that you got really scared of? Salem's Lot when I was 13 reading about Vampires at windows as tree branch scratched mine.

5) What do you use as a bookmark? LOL - I print bookmarks of my husband's book for handing out to people so I litterally have thousands of the same bookmark.

6) When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...? yes, yes, yes, yes, yes...Seriously I read almost anytime any place - best is on the train to work. I love being a commuter.

7) Do you remember the first book that you read? Probably not - but the first one that left an impression was "A Wrinkle in Time"

8) Which do you prefer - paperback or hardcover? paperback - but not Mass produced paperback - I like the trade paperbacks

9) What are you currently reading? What page are you on? The Gursney Potatoe Peel Pie Liteary Society - page 80.

10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffeemarks or food crumbs and etc. Never on purpose. A few blood stains from papercuts - lol.

11) Does the title, amount of pages and the cover affect you when you are considering a specific book? Title - not really, pages - yes, cover - sometimes

12) Do you ever browse through to the last pages in order find out the ending? NO!! GASP

13) Have knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not? no - though I try to avoid all spoilers until I'm done.

14) Is there a book that you have read more than five times? Yes - but not sure it counts multiple edits of hubby's work - probably red book 1 over 20 times trying to get out all the typos etc.

15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...) No

16) Do you sell/give away your books or do you keep them, even though you don't like one of them? I must say I'm a book hoarder.

17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom? No - it does not seem like the "right atmosphere" for me.

18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count ;)) No - until GR came along.

19) Do you keep a reading diary/journal? No

--
Wife of fantasy author: Michael J. Sullivan
The Crown Conspiracy (Oct 2008) - Fantasy Book Critic Review
Avempartha (April 2009)

message 21: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?
I have been very very fortunate when picking books for myself. I have not had very many bad experiences in reading. But, just recently, it did happen. I started reading The Shack Paperback by Young William P. and, about half way through found it to be unpleasant. So, I quit it and started In the Woods Paperback by French Tana and found it even more unpleasant. Now, what was I supposed to do. I couldn't quit two books in a row. I had to suffer through one of them. I chose The Shack and finished it, but it was difficult.

Hmm...as stated above, I have had a lot of great experiences and not too many bad ones. It is hard to choose. I have been having a great time reading the Harry Potter series right now. The first time I read through The Lord of the Rings was a great time too.

I don't know about influencing my real life but I have been very emotionally involved in a few books. The Odd Thomas Series by Dean Koontz. Water for Elephants Paperback by Sara Gruen. The Road Hardcover by Cormac McCarthy.

The Hot Zone A Terrifying True Story Paperback by Richard Preston. 'Nuff said.

Book Mooch.com sent me a box of business card looking advertisments that I use for bookmarks. Then I hand it out to anyone who inquires and get another one when I get home.

9 pm - 11 pm at work.

I can't say for sure but I think it was one of those Frog and Toad ones. The Frog and Toad Treasury Hardcover by Arnold Lobel

Paperback - Just because they are easier to cart around work.

I am currently on page 300ish of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Book 4 by J.K. Rowling

No, I never have, but that's an idea. I, kinda', like the idea of leaving proof that I was there behind. You know, something small and unnoticable.

Not really. I am picking mainly shorter ones now that I am way behind on my book challenge though. :)

The only reason I am on a last page is to see how many pages the book is.

Nah!

The novella The Mist Mass Market Paperback by Stephen King

Hmm...don't think so. I am an advocate for safe reading, I guess.

I keep my all time favorites and give the rest to my wife to trade on bookmooch.com.

I, generally, keep a separate book in the bathroom for reading. Something I can read in shorter chunks like non-fiction.

Just Good Reads.

Just Good Reads, again.

message 22: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 32 comments Questions

1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had? Popping the blood vessels in my right eye and being unable to read (or see much for that matter) for two weeks. This was before audio books were a big thing, so it really, really sucked.

2) The best reading experience you have ever had? The day I met my husband and we talked books during a really raucous party in D.C. The rest of the world didn't exist for a couple of hours that night.

3) Which book has affected or influenced you the most so far? Black Beauty was the first book that I read on my own and it opened my world to reading.

4) Have you ever read a book that you got really scared of? I've never had this experience, but my roommate in college was terrified of staying by herself after finishing Stephen King's Pet Semetary. I didn't understand the fear because I thought it was just an okay book.

5) What do you use as a bookmark? I have about a hundred bookmarks, but my favorites are the magnetic ones that hold onto the pages so that you can't lose them.

6) When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...? I read in bed before I fall asleep, in the morning while having breakfast if I'm really hooked in a book, at lunch, while waiting in the car at lights....

7) Do you remember the first book that you read? See the question number 3 - Black Beauty.

8) Which do you prefer - paperback or hardcover? Before I bought the Kindle, I tried to buy only hardbacks if I could find them. If not, I'll settle for a paperback.

9) What are you currently reading? What page are you on? I'm currently re-reading The Eight by Katherine Neville, preparing to read her sequel after 20 years.

10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffeemarks or food crumbs and etc. I have been known to write in books, underline sections, or fold over the page to remember a spot, but I do it rarely these days. As for non deliberate marks, mine are mostly chocolate finger prints. What can I say? I have a weakness for anything chocolate!

11) Does the title, amount of pages and the cover affect you when you are considering a specific book? It used to, but these days I tend to look up other readers' comments online before picking up a book I'm unsure of. As for my favorite authors, I just automatically grab them the minute they are released.

12) Do you ever browse through to the last pages in order find out the ending? Yes, I've been known to do this. My husband laughs at me when he catches me at it, too.

13) Has knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not? No, I don't let that bother me. Often the 'spoiler' is in the eye of the beholder anyway - you may not agree with the beholder's point of view and will probably come up with your own if you bother reading the book.

14) Is there a book that you have read more than five times? Several - The Stand by Stephen King; Emma, Pride and Prejudice, and Persuasion by Jane Austen; The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy; the Harry Potter series has the potential for me to do so, but still too early for more than two reads; the Westmark series by Lloyd Alexander; I'm sure there are a couple of others, but those are the main. I also watch 'White Chrismas' every Thanksgiving day....

15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...) Nope, tho my stuffed bookshelves could mean a future risk.

16) Do you sell/give away your books or do you keep them, even though you don't like one of them? Depends on whether I liked them. If they were just ho-hum, I'll leave them in the cafeteria at work and let somebody else pick them up. If they were excellent then I consider them keepable and they join my hoard.

17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom? My husband and I have both been known to do this. And I will definitely read if I'm taking a bubble bath.

18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count) Before I bought the Kindle, no. After, I keep a Word document on my Kindle to list the various series I like so that I don't get them confused.

No, I don't and I was kind of surprised by the volume of novels I've read when I was listing them throughout GR.

message 23: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had? ....don't know, but whenever I want to read and can't becasue of someone or something is bad

2) The best reading experience you have ever had? Whenver a book that I am reading is absorbing me so much that I finish it in one time and afterwards don't seem to function well in the 'real' world

3) Which book has affected or influenced you the most so far? The Ten Trusts: What We Must Do to Care for The Animals We Love
by Jane Goodall, The loop and Tiziano Terzani-A fortune teller told me
4) Have you ever read a book that you got really scared of? With one or two Patricia Cornwell books, especially while reading them before going to sleep
5) What do you use as a bookmark? One of the many I have
6) When do you usually read? Whenever i can

7) Do you remember the first book that you read? NO
8) Which do you prefer - paperback or hardcover? both

9) What are you currently reading? What page are you on? All quiet at the western front, think about page 7 or 8

10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? Noooooo
11) Does the title, amount of pages and the cover affect you when you are considering a specific book? It might influence me a little bit but not much

12) Do you ever browse through to the last pages in order find out the ending? Noooo

13) Has knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not? Not really

14) Is there a book that you have read more than five times? NOt yet, maximum 2 or 3 times

15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...) Just almost missed my bus stop or train station or almost run into someone while reading and walking together

16) Do you sell/give away your books or do you keep them, even though you don't like one of them? Nooooo, what I buy stays with me

17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom? No, I think it would take up more time being in there

18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count) I have alittle notebook where I write in what I read for every year and at the other side of the notebook I have one of my many whishlists.
Just the notebook I mentioned above

message 24: by Jan (new)

Jan | 9 comments Questions
I agree with Moby Dick--high school and college. I could never get the depth on which to interpret it.
As with others--too many to count. Tend to have different authors for different moods. Probably as with many will get "stuck" on an author and then have to move on when I have consumed all I can find that they have written.
As with the one other poster "A Wrinkle in Time" started my journey with sci fi.
Stephen King novels are off my read list. Taking the normal with a twist can be more frightening than the monsters. For the same reason psychological stalker/murder novels also can be too close to reality.
Unfortunately usually paper napkins or pieces from junk mail. The nice bookmarks sit on the bookshelf collecting dust!
6) When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...? I read whenever I can but usually for a short time at night, when I am exercising using a stationary bike, or when taking baths.
No.
Paperback--cheaper and do not feel as bad if it does get "stuff" on it.
Have about three books open but need to start working on studying for some courses I need to complete.
I do not deliberately mark unless it is a textbook or a book I know I will be keeping. However, to my great regret books have been soiled by food, coffee, tea, being dropped in the bath, in the sink, and lately by the cats in competition for time.
Yes, especially if it is for a plane ride. It has to be long enough to last the trip.
Especially if the mystery is going nowhere slowly...
Not really, but seeing for example the Harry Potter films has not made me want to read the books. Same with Bond films.
There are many--A Wrinkle in Time, Dune, Lord of the Ring series, Wheel of Time series, The Fury, Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables... Some of the others have been packed away and I cannot remember the authors or the title--used to be able to grab them out of the bookshelf.
15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...) Never seriously
Tend to use the exchange system at a couple of the libraries. Also one of the vacation places we go has a read shelf and we will take books there. Keep too many though. For that reason we are trying to use the library more!
17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom? Of course. Not at work but at home there are usually two or three books along with magazines...did I mention toothpaste also soils...
18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count ;)) Used to use a database but to track my reading is the major reason I joined goodreads. The added benefit is now seeing what others say about potential reads.
No, so I hope goodreads has a great back up plan!

Do others use the library much?

message 25: by onmerryday (new)

onmerryday 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?
Hmm...I think there's few books that made me feel a waste of time. One of them is Davinci Code. I managed to finish it just to know why it made all the fuss and just found that only the main subject was interesting. I can just say that the author is really a horrible storyteller!

I remember the feeling of excitement when I read The Neverending Story. I couldn't put it down. My heart beat very fast and it seemed my eyes read too slowly than my heart! The fact that I read it when I was already in university proves how amazing this book is!

Angela's ashes really affected me and inspired me to subscribe to a book group (at the time was mailing list) and talked to people I didn't know. It was a short period but it's a good experience.

Hmm...it's a Japanese horror fiction called Zoo. Really haunting but great writing!

I collect beautiful postcards. Every time I start a book, I always pick a card that goes with the book first.

At home whenever I need to.

Some picture books my dad gave me. I remember one of them talk about how to save money :-)

Depends on the design. I even look at how readable and beautiful font and layout inside...can't help it.

page 81 on Mary Poppins and 103 on Everything is illuminated

Sometimes I underline my favorite parts with pencil. A couple of years ago I marked the date I bought with beautiful rubber stamp on the first page. I don't do it now because there's too many books.

Absolutely! My work is about designing books so I can't help it. I really judge books by their covers :-P

I think I did it a lot when I was young. Rarely do it now.

Not really, most of the time I read just because it has beautiful language.

It's a children's book which I can't remember the name. It's a book about a Jewish family with five little girls. My favorite!

Sometimes I bumped into my pile of books and some of them fell on my toes!

I sell those I don't like if they are nonsense but keep those that might be a reference in the future.

No, never.

I have a notebook that keep records of my readings but not seriously I just write down the name of the book and when I finish it.

I try to.

message 26: by LeAnne (new)

LeAnne (Early-riser) 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?
Recently....Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, struggled to get to about page 200, then quit.

2) The best reading experience you have ever had? I distinctly remember the Scholastic Reader leaflets we'd get every month in elementary school. Loved deciding which books to buy, then the smell of the new books when they arrived and the excitement of having a stack to choose from. I get a little of that same feeling when I bring home a stack of books from the library or book sale.

What's So Amazing about Grace. Changed the way I think about God and other people.

The Exorcist. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Way to scary.

Whatever's handy. Receipt, scrap of paper, post-it, paperclip, and my current to-do list.

Whenever and wherever I can...in bed, while watching tv, on the bus, in the bath, while drying my hair, during meals, on the beach.

No, but I remember my favorite from elementary school... A Wrinkle in Time.

Over sized paperbacks.

A Great and Terrible Beauty - page 253
The Lake, The River, and The Other Lake - page 227
The Way of the Small - page 74

Non deliberate.. food, makeup, waterspots

Yes, especially the number of pages. I'm reluctant to pick up a book with more than 700 pages.

Never, in fact, if the books has been recommended to me, I won't read the fly leaf either. It often gives away too much.

Maybe, if it's a book I didn't really care about reading anyway.

I don't think so.

Whew, no.

I get most of my books from the library because I don't want to own books that are just ok. So, if the book is purchased I give it away or trade it in unless it's great.

Of course, even public bathrooms.

Yes, I keep a booklist on my blog.

Only the one listed above.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 5 comments 1)The worst reading experience that you have ever had?

Well recently, I would have to say One Hundred Years of Solitude. I just could not get into this book and I know so many people say that it is on their favorite books of all time lists.

This is unbelievably hard to answer as reading has been one of my favorite pasttimes pretty much my whole life. I love reading at the beach -- including one of my other loves, listening to the crashing waves. As far as particular books, I absolutely love the Harry Potter books and am just so pleased the way they have reinspired a love of reading in the younger generations.

I was incredibly moved by the story in A Kite Runner and I love the book Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

Not that I can think of off the top of my head, I don't generally read scary books. I will say that books like Blindness and Oryx and Crake are disturbing as far implications for our society (although I love both novels).

Any scrap of paper, subway and commuter rails tickets, receipts, bookmarks from bookstores, a bookmark I got in Fiji . . .

When I was younger I used to read a lot before I went to bed and on weekends, now that I have a job and such, I generally read on the subway to and from work, during my lunch break, and also occasionally in the evenings.

Are You My Mother by Dr. Suess

I prefer hardcover but paperbacks are easier to read on the train when you can't get a seat (which is most days).

The Likeness by Tana French, page 198.

Occasionally I spill things in my books (although I get annoyed when I do this) and I only write in textbooks.

Title: rarely
Amount of pages: sometimes, depending on my mood, sometimes you want to delve into a nice long book, other times you want a fast read
Cover: often, when I am browsing in a bookstore in particular

Never.

I have read books that I have seen the movie to first, but I don't do this frequently. I generally try to read the book first and I do not like to read spoilers.

The Time Traveler's Wife, Pride and Prejudice, and some of the Harry Potter books.

Not that I can recall, but I am quite clumsy . . .

I sell back books that I do not like and keep all books that I at least liked. I loan my books to friends when they are really good. I am a book fiend, I do love libraries, but I prefer to own books.

Rarely.

I have a journal where I keep lists but it changes so frequently it usually isn't accurate.

I'm trying to start and also to write down quotes from books that I am reading that I really like.

message 28: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Questions
1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had? I think trying to read LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA. I just could not do it.
2) The best reading experience you have ever had? Reading PILLARS OF THE EARTH, and then WORLD WITHOUT END.
3) Which book has affected or influenced you the most so far? THE BIBLE
4) Have you ever read a book that you got really scared of? There was a book once where I could not read it cause the father was a horrible mass murderer, and I was pregnant at the time.
6) When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...? All the time... Really, I will read whenever I have a free second.
7) Do you remember the first book that you read? Not really, but THE LITTLE HOUSE books were some of the first series I got into.
8) Which do you prefer - paperback or hardcover? Either
9) What are you currently reading? What page are you on? AGAINST MEDICAL ADVICE by James Patterson page 55
10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffeemarks or food crumbs and etc. no
11) Does the title, amount of pages and the cover affect you when you are considering a specific book? no
12) Do you ever browse through to the last pages in order find out the ending? no
13) Have knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not? no
14) Is there a book that you have read more than five times? no
15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...) no
16) Do you sell/give away your books or do you keep them, even though you don't like one of them? I sell on ebay, and I give a way, and I keep alot.
17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom? Oh yes..lol
18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count ;)) I keep up with the books I read in a calender.
19) Do you keep a reading diary/journal? This year was the first year I have done so.

message 29: by Vanessa (last edited Nov 29, 2008 08:41AM) (new)

Vanessa | 55 comments 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?

I must echo Fiona here - Atomised was a truly horrible reading experience. I abandoned it early on, thinking I might go back to it when I could summon my inner strength. Now I know I will never touch that nasty thing again - life is too short and there are too many good books out there!

I would also add Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (uttter shit) and The Man Who Rode His Ten Speed Bicycle to the Moon by Bernard Fischman (who did this guy blow to get his doo-doo published?)

Hard to choose just one - Lolita and To Kill a Mockingbird because of the superior writing; The Road because of its powerful and profound effect upon me; Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire from the perspective of pure enjoyment.

Can't really answer this one right now.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I went out and bought tons of canned food to add to my emergency kit after I read that!

Whatever is to hand - old receipts, some of those paint color sample strips (perfect size!) sometimes the flap of the dust jacket.

When I go out for coffee and just after I've put the kids to bed (and before I hit the sack). Though if the book has really grabbed me I will find any excuse to read it anywhere.

Henny Penny

No preference as long as it is well-bound!

The New Paradigm for Financial MArkets by George Soros. Not my usual fare, but I saw him on Fareed Zakaria's show a few weeks ago when the economic crisis hit big time and he was interesting, so I was curious about what he had to say in his book. Pretty dry so far.

Nope.

Rarely. Usually I have a book in mind before I buy or check out, so it doesn't matter how pretty/ugly/skinny/fat it is.

Only when I am hating my reading experience and want to be done with it.

Sometimes, not always.

To Kill a Mockingbird, The Golden Bird, A Wrinkle in Time, The Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Endurance.

No.

My husband and I just sold tons of books to the used bookstore and donated a bunch to our local library. After toting hundreds of books around with us for the last twenty years, across continents and oceans, we've finally decided that it is easier, cheaper and more sensible to only hang on to the ones that we really, really love.

No. I'm a strong believer in the old adage "Either sh*t or get off the pot!"

No - not until I joined Goodreads.

No. I do keep a journal of personal experiences. I may have noted a couple of books in there, but books are not the focus of my journal. However, I guess my eviews here on Goodreads are a reading journal of sorts.

message 30: by Fiona (last edited Nov 29, 2008 08:52AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Noooo Kafka on the Shore is not utter shit... tis not! Lol - it isn't actually a book I'd recommend to people though because it is just too weird to judge who will like it or not. And the cat torture scene at the end was really hard to read.

But I'm glad we agree on Atomised. I threw it on the floor and stamped on it, it made me so angry. What I really don't get though is the amount of LOVE it seems to get on Amazon. I just don't get it. People seem to think it's some brilliant literary work. Maybe they think they have to so they seem intelligent. It isn't a well written book, the whole IDEA is so badly presented and terribly written and if you read up on the author - it is just some sad old whine about his own shitty mother. Which makes me wonder that the very racist and obviously anti-Muslim comment (comparing them to Nazis) is actually his own sentiment as well? As he has spoken out against Islam and got into trouble for it. So I wonder is he also sexist? Are they his views or are they his character's fictional views? Is he hiding his own racist, sexist, homophobic sentiments behind a work of fiction?

I hate that book with a passion. Arghghrarhghaghghghgh!!!

And another thing - on the back of the book it was praised for being full of "ideas" what kind of praise is that? But that is all it was basically. He should just have written a god damn essay because there was no story, no character development and no nothing at all. Zilch.

All he had was his undying hatred for his shitty whacko mother and he invented a brother for himself and then went on to try to spoon feed the reader with 'ideas' and concepts and all this mumbo jumbo.

One character had no life and no sex. This other guy seemed to be a paedophile lusting over 14 year old girls, wanking under his folder or a towel on the train beach... other then that no life, no sex.

Then he found himself a woman and got loads of sex. And his other brother found himself an ex-girlfriend of sorts and had some sex but still didn't enjoy it or anything at all really.

Occasionally the brothers met up over the years. Talking about some stuff. Whined about their crappy mother. Had some more sex and then... I gave up.

That is the story, by the way. I don't know the end, I couldn't be arsed to finish it. But as you can see, the story is pretty much non-existent.

I have never ever felt like saying DO NOT READ before in my life. With most books I feel that it should be up to people's tastes. But Atomised... if there is a book out there that needs burning it is that one. I despise it.

It was like having daggers stabbed through my ears into my brain. That is what reading it felt like.

message 31: by Jane (new)

Jane 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?
The Kite Runner & anything Charles Dickens. Great Expectations was the first book for school that I didn't finish, and I don't regret it in the least. I hate reading anything that shamelessly tugs at my heart strings or beats me over the head with an important lesson. Almost anything Alice Munro, though I just read a story of hers that has turned me in her favor a little ("Dimension")

The Shadow of the Wind. I read it when I visited my dad and stepmom for a long weekend. It was an amazing book and perfect for a really chill trip. Also the Master and Margarita. I read it during the last few weeks during my study abroad trip in St. Petersburg (not the city in the book, but will always make me think of that time in my life.) This is one of my favorite books of all time.

The Stranger, The Art of Happiness for personal spiritual growth; Writing Down the Bones & Anne Frank: the Diary of a Young Girl, both nurtured my early ambitions as a writer. All books I have read by Kurt Vonnegut to date. I share his cynicism about humanity.

The Ruins by Scott Smith; it was so scary I could only read ten or so pages at a time. The Handmaid's Tale, not in a bad-dreams-kind-of-way but a I-can-actually-see-this-happening-kind-of-way.

Any of those little complimentary paper bookmarks you get at bookstores. I still have some from the Trident Booksellers from when I lived in Boulder, CO. These days I get them from Powell's Books. Those used to have really neat designs, but nowadays they have really lame advertisements on them, so I'm thinking about making my own bookmarks.

Most of the time on the bus to and from work every morning and during my lunch hour. Also before bed, when I'm not writing or cleaning my apartment, when I'm waiting for somebody, when I'm waiting in line, when I'm waiting anywhere (for this reason I carry a book with me everywhere,) when I'm on an airplane but sometimes those things make me sleepy.

No, but my earliest book memories are Shel Silverstein, The Giving Tree & Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Paperback, cheaper & easier to carry. If I absolutely cannot wait for a book to come to paperback, I'll buy hardback, though that is very much a luxury item.

Ovid's Metamorphoses, PG 120 & Tim Lane's Abandonned Cars PG 103.

10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffeemarks or food crumbs and etc. Spill things & pencil marks. Sometimes I leave water stains or coffee stains, because I'm clumsy. If I'm reading a non-fiction book, I'll underline a passage if it's really, really good but only in pencil.

Depends what kind of mood I'm in. If there's a book I want to read that's really long, I have to be confident that I have the endurance to follow through with it. Mostly though the books I want to read are ones I've read/heard about in the newspaper/NPR or that have been recommended to me, so I've made my decision before I've seen the cover or read the title.

12) Do you ever browse through to the last pages in order find out the ending? No, no, no. I love surprise endings.

13) Have knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not? Not really, because there's always the why and the how. How it ended that way and why. If a book is complex enough that I would want to know why characters made certain choices, what motivated them, etc, then I'll still read it.

Mathilda by Roald Dahl, definitely.

Not yet, but if I'm reading at a bus stop and really into the book, sometimes I look up and wonder if my bus went by and I didn't notice it.

I keep a vast majority of them. There are few that I can part with. Since moving to Portland, I have purged my book collection due to all the moving I was doing in college. I regret it and have been recouping my losses ever since. The last time I moved a coworker helped me, and he was stunned because I had all these boxes of books and no television.

17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom? Yes, especially if I think I'm going to be in there for more than a couple minutes. I also read in the bathtub and I'm really, really careful with my book.
18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count ;)) The last two years I've been keeping a list of books I've read throughout the year, because I'm curious exactly how many I've read. I also have an immense and intimidating list of books-to-read that is not user friendly. The organizer and filer in me is trying to figure out a way to make it look pretty. I want something I can carry with me on those compulsive book buys.
19) Do you keep a reading diary/journal? No.

message 32: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 55 comments Fiona -

We can agree to differ on "Kafka" (I know zillions of people loved it and I'm in the minority) but I am one mind with you on Atomised! Horrible awful nasty vomit-inducing. My husband and father-in-law thought it was really good but I just hated it - could barely bring myself to soldier on with it after all the boarding school sexual abuse and bullying - I probably quit after another chapter or so. I can read some dark difficult stuff if there seems to be a kernel of something in the pages that redeems it, but Atomised had nothing, nothing at all to recommend it, as far as I'm concerned.

message 33: by Fiona (last edited Nov 29, 2008 11:35AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Hah, no worries about Kafka. I can see why people don't like it - but I just really liked Haruki's style of writing. You don't want to read The Wind-up Bird Chronicle then. That isn't as weird, but it is quite slow.

Atomised - I got to the last 100 pages and gave up. It just made me want to rip the thing to shreds. I'm sure you get my rage at it.

You see with Kafka - I appreciate people have different opinions and I appreciate people may like things I hate. But with Atomised... I just don't get why people would like it. Or how. It's a book I'd campaign for people not to read. It's a book I'm pissed off even got published. It just makes me bloody mad. It wasn't clever, it wasn't interesting, there was nothing to it. I might create a new shelf just for Atomised because it's so putrid it shouldn't even touch the rest of my books.

There. I have put it on a new and exclusive shelf - putrid. All by itself.

message 34: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments haha Fiona, you know that you are even funny this way???? You do give it publicity this way....and I am sure I am not the only one who wonders about the book. It is like saying to someone that it is bad or that you can't do it....you just have to try it.

message 35: by Fiona (last edited Nov 30, 2008 05:21AM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Don't, your brain cells will be fried out of your head and you may be brain washed into liking this book and then you will suffer hours of miserable torment. May be days, maybe months or even years of being warped by that evil book.

And if you do actually decide to like this book, I may have to send you the shrink.

It is evil. Evil evil evil!

Don't read it!

message 36: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments relax Fiona, if will read it, it won't be for soon.....need or a job to buy books or a prove of address to get a library card! so in the end it all comes to getting a job....

message 37: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?
Animal Farm. I have no idea why, but I seem to hate it. Love 1984, hate Animal Farm. It may be one of those books that was ruined by a sub-par literature teacher in high school. A close second is an article I read about the innervation of the soft palate. I learned that the soft palate has nerves in it, but we don't really know what any of them do. What a scintillating hour and a half of sifting through medical terminology.

2) The best reading experience you have ever had? I refuse to pick a favorite.

3) Which book has affected or influenced you the most so far? I'm not really sure, probably a poetry anthology.

4) Have you ever read a book that you got really scared of? Yes. It was a goosebumps one when I was in 5th grade. I don't remember the title but it was the one where the "twin" in the mirror comes alive.

5) What do you use as a bookmark? An index card so I can write down any new to me words and look them up later.

6) When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...? All of the above. I almost always have a book on me so I can fill any spare minutes.

7) Do you remember the first book that you read? "The Boxcar Children" was the first real "chapter book" I read.

8) Which do you prefer - paperback or hardcover? Paperback, cheap + portable!

9) What are you currently reading? What page are you on? Midnight's Daughter by Karen Chance, p. 13

10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffeemarks or food crumbs and etc. NO

11) Does the title, amount of pages and the cover affect you when you are considering a specific book? Not really, the title/cover art might influence what I pick up to browse, but the summary makes a bigger difference when choosing what to buy/read.

12) Do you ever browse through to the last pages in order find out the ending? No.

13) Have knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not? No.

14) Is there a book that you have read more than five times? I'm sure there are multiple books that have had that honor. I read around 300 books a year. Repetition happens.

15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...) I work in a used bookstore. Piles of books everywhere and I'm a klutz. I've been the victim/cause of many bookslide accidents.

16) Do you sell/give away your books or do you keep them, even though you don't like one of them? Keep them all! Every 2 years or so, usually when I'm moving, I'll clear out some that I don't think I'll read again or purge some doubles that have appeared.

17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom? yes.

18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count ;)) yes. I keep an excel list of what books come out on what date, I also have a note book that details which book I own by what author, and a separate individual list of what I'm looking for when I go book shopping.

19) Do you keep a reading diary/journal? I keep a spread sheet of what books I've read when and how many pages.

message 38: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs (PetraX) I answered the worst reading experience in message 18, so here is the best reading experience I ever had.

I had a hardback copy of the Forsyte Saga. It was printed on very thin, quite soft paper (luckily). I went up the Amazon and could only carry a small amount of goods so whenever I read a few pages (and I made them last) I would rip them out of the book and use them for errrrm, well you can guess the rest of this.

message 39: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Stepanie, I wouldn't do it but I loved what you wrote: If there's a book I HATE I give it to the library because I don't want it sitting there mocking me with it's crappiness.

message 40: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriSA-UK) Haha Petra!! Very resourceful! That did make me chuckle!

message 41: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Ok, here goes.....

Questions
SHE'S COME UNDONE. WHAT MORE COULD POSSIBLY HAPPEN TO THIS GIRL???? IT WAS REALLY VERY FRUSTRATING!

I THINK WHEN I FIRST DISCOVERED HARRY POTTER! I HAD SUCH A GOOD TIME READING IT! I WAS A KID AGAIN!

FAHRENHEIT 451, BECAUSE IT MADE ME APPRECIATE THE RIGHTS WE HAVE RIGHT NOW, BUT ALSO MADE ME REALIZE HOW MUCH WE HAVE TO LOSE.

SALEM'S LOT AND THE SHINING BY STEPHEN KING, AND HELL HOUSE BY RICHARD MATHESON

THE SAME FADED AND WORN OUT BOOKMARK FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS, DISPITE THE HUNDREDS I HAVE AT HOME. LOL.

ANYWHERE, ANYTIME!

NOPE, I'VE BEEN READING SO MUCH FOR SO LONG.

HARDCOVERS, BECAUSE THEY CAN WITHSTAND MULTIPLE READINGS.

20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA.....ABOUT HALFWAY.

EEK!!!! YOU NEVER WRITE IN A BOOK!

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

NO, THATS CHEATING! :P

NO, IN FACT IF I REALLY LIKE A MOVIE AND LEARN THAT IT CAME FROM A BOOK, I HAVE TO HUNT IT DOWN AND READ IT.

NOT YET!

NO....NOT YET....

I AM A KEEPER, BUT IF I KNOW I WILL NEVER REREAD, I DEFINITELY SELL OR PASS THEM ON IF I CAN. SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT LOVE THEM MORE THAN ME!

ABSOLUTELY!

18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc?(goodreads doesn't count ;))
YES, I HAVE A DATABASE, WHICH IS PRINTED OUT IN A BINDER OF ALL THE BOOKS THAT I OWN. I DID THIS MANUALLY, AND I LATER FOUND OUT THAT THERE IS SOFTWARE FOR THIS...LOL. OH, WELL.

YES, EVEN BEFORE GOODREADS, I HAVE KEPT A JOURNAL OF ALL THE BOOKS THAT I HAVE READ SINCE 1995. I DID IT WHEN I WAS A KID, TOO, BUT I CAN'T FIND THE NOTEBOOK I WROTE IT IN.

message 42: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (MalfoyFanGirl) | 22 comments Questions

“Forced” reading – reading assignments in high school. I hated almost all the books that were required and did not succeed in my English classes because of that

Reading the Harry Potter series. It literally changed my life. I have become so emotionally involved in the characters and can identify with many of the characters and situations.

Harry Potter – all, but mostly Deathly Hallows

I have never really been “scared” by a book, but I have had chills when reading “true account” ghost stories.

Bookmarks mostly, but sometimes I’ll use a rubber band.

Anytime I can sit still. At home, in bed, at the park, in the front or back yard, waiting in line at stores

No, but I have always been surrounded by books and I can remember always having them around.

Paperback – much easier to travel with.

I usually triple- or quadruple-book. Today I started on my holiday books, so I have 3 going at once. Eggnog Chronicles, Twelve Dates of Christmas, Christine Feehan Holiday Treasury

I don’t ever write in my books, or leave marks on purpose. Many of my books are stained with spaghetti sauce, coffee, guacamole, and other stains.

The amount of pages doesn’t affect my reading decision. Sometimes I get stuck on a title if it doesn’t sound interesting, but that doesn’t stop me from learning about the story.

No, I don’t like spoilers!

The endings of movies haven’t influenced my decision to read the books, but if the movies are interesting enough I will read the books. I saw HP and LOTR before reading the books.

I am on my fifth round of reading Harry Potter, am currently on OOTP.

No, not an accident, but I was as Barnes & Noble one time during a pretty sizable earthquake and all the shelves were moving and the overhead signs were swaying!

I keep a lot of my books, and donate the ones I didn’t care for to the Friends of the Library or give to friends.

No

I used to keep an Excel spreadsheet with my ratings and notes but I haven’t done that in a long time.

No, not so much a journal, but I made a “Book of Books” which is a scrapbook of book covers, bookmarks, quotes about books, lists of banned and challenged books, etc

message 43: by A.J. (new)

A.J. 1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had?

You know, I couldn't say. I've read bad books, but which was the worst? I've read good books, but which was the best? Can you really make these judgments?

It's tempting to lump that one up with the first two questions. If I could list one overarching influence, I'd feel like a clone.

But....
92 in the Shade changed my reading habits
The Moon is Down , when I was about seven, made a deep impression -- my first "serious" book
The Hero with a Thousand Faces -- this is an eye opener

Once, I dropped Volume 1 of the Compact OED on my foot. I've been scared of it ever since.

I use a bookmark. I find they are well suited to the task, and bookstores keep giving them too me.

When the kids are doing their reading, I do mine. It's family reading time. But I'm most productive on airplanes and in hotel rooms.

No.

Hardcover for collecting, paper for reading.

Everyman by Philip Roth
The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor
Collected Poems of Dylan Thomas

Yes, if the book interests me enough to warrant scribbling in, and if it's a paperback. Taking notes doesn't do it -- what do you do with ten years of notebooks? How do you index them to find your notes?

(You go looking for insight, open your notebook, and learn that "Gibson's Finest tastes like paint." Further entries on that date now prove illegible.)

If only there was a way to permanently tie your observations to the text itself, such as, for example, a pencil....

No. I'm interested in who wrote it, what it's about, and whether it's any good.

No, because it's pointless. In reading, the journey is the destination.

See above.

Yes, many. Any book worth reading is worth re-reading. Either to discover new layers, or just for fun. The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, many times. The Moon is Down, as a kid, many times. A few by Thomas McGuane and Richard Ford, a couple other Steinbecks ... Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Most of my books I've read at least twice, but it's not like I'm keeping count. I go through cycles of buying books and reading them, and then putting the buying on hold and re-reading what I've got.

Other than the aforementioned fictitious incident with the OED, no.

Not to my knowledge, anyway. I did hear a thump and a scream while driving to the supermarket yesterday, but I was sunk into something good and didn't check my mirror. If it was important, he woulda screamed twice.

I only get rid of the ones that suck, or that I know I'll never re-read because my tastes have changed. For example, I have been getting rid of all my old sci fi and mysteries and thrillers, because they don't really interest me anymore -- but this is after they spent five years in boxes in the basement in case I ever wanted to read them again.

17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet?

I often read "when needing to use the toilet," but in the space between need and deed, I usually leave it behind.

If I run across something that interests me I scribble it down in a notebook. Recent entries:
Michel Tremblay - The Fat Woman Next Door is Pregnant
solace
Bushmill's Irish whiskey

Not sure what I was getting at there. Anyway, I don't have a book system, per se.

Likewise, I make notes as I read, but I make notes as I do everything else. So no, not a reading journal as such.

message 44: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs (PetraX) Thank you SuzieR. The ending of the story is that some Indian kid saw 'using' the Forsyte Saga pages so that later that day my guide came and showed me the plant they call the toilet paper leaf. Its got big, velvety soft leaves that when crushed released a slightly-perfumed soothing liquid. Botty-wipe and lotion in one. So I used that afterwards. I wish I knew the botanical name of the plant, I'd grow it in my bathroom.

message 45: by Debby (last edited Dec 02, 2008 06:37AM) (new)

Debby | 3804 comments OK, here goes:
Great Expectations in 9th grade English. I can't get myself to even give it a second chance.

Years ago, I was working as a nurse and took the book Thorn Birds to work with me to read on my breaks. The only quiet place to read was the bathroom, so I went on break in there to read for 15 minutes. But, I got so involved in reading the fire scnen that I did not want to stop reading. I was so torn between finishing that chapter of the book and having to get back to work. That's when reading is the best - when you're anxious to get back to the book when you're in the middle of doing something else. OR I recently read Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane and was blown away by the ending. I couldn’t stop talking about what a great book it was. That’s what makes reading books so great!!

To be honest, the Bible.
In fiction, most recently:
Cane River and Red River by Lalita Tademy. Both books are generational sagas about slavery in Louisiana. Both of these boks had a profound affect on me.

Pet Semitary by Stephen King. Freaked me out and I threw the book under the bed.
Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi. I was a sophomore in high school when those murders were committed. I couldn’t read the book at night.

Any scrap of paper that's nearby.

I generally "read" in the afternoon and before bed. Being significantly visually disabled, I do all my fiction “reading” by CD or tape. So, I can do a lot of things while listening to a book: clean house, iron, do dishes, take a bubble bath, etc. I pretty much always have whatever book I'm reading with me wherever I go; I don't want to miss an opportunity to read. :)

I remember the first author that I read everything of hers I could get my hands on: Beverly Cleary. Now my granddaughter is reading her books!!

All fiction I read is on CD or tape. I read non-fiction in paperback or hardcover using a CCTV.

Ashes to AShes by Tami Hoag. I'm on tape 8 of 12.

When reading non-fiction using my CCTV, I am an underliner and I do make comments in the margins. It’s hard for me to read a non-fiction book from the library because I have to restrain myself from grabbing a pen.

Not at all. I go more by author, book genre and book description.

Not any more. I did it a few times when younger and beginning to reaad mysteries. It ruined the reading experience for me. So I stopped.

I prefer to have read the book before seeing a movie adaptation, as seeing the movie first will make reading the book less enjoyable. My experience has been that the books are always better than the movies. I don’t like to know the ending of a book before reading it.

Any book I ever read to my kids. I don’t tend to read books again. I recently read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn again, but it had been well over 25 years since I first read it.

No.

I borrow most of the books I read from the library. I do buy used copies of books I have REALLY liked and lend them to friends. I have a bookshelf that contains the books that have meant a lot to me, fiction and non-fiction.

I grew up in a house that had a built-in magazine/book rack in the bathroom. My grandparents also had a table in their bathroom for books and magazines. So, reading in the bathroom was “normal” to me. When I got married, my husband was pretty much appalled by the notion of reading in the bathroom. Now I listen to my book when taking bubble baths.

I have a Book Stuff folder on my computer with files for: Books Read This Year; Authors; and Book To Read. I like to be able to see at a glamce what books I’ve read each month throughout the year. The authors list and the books to read list help when reserving from the public library or from the special library for the visually and physically handicapped.

Just the list of books read every month for the year. But a diary would be good because sometimes I can’t remember what a book was about simply by seeing the title.

message 46: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Ok, corrections or additions to some of my answers:

Worst reading experience:
BEING FORCED TO READ BOOKS IN SCHOOL. (OTHER PEOPLE SAID THAT, TOO) I ALWAYS FOUGHT IT AND RARELY ENJOYED BOOKS THAT i WAS FORCED TO READ. SOME OF THEM I WENT BACK TO AND REREAD LATER ON (OF MY OWN FREE WILL) AND LOVED THEM. BUT BEING FORCED IS NEVER GOOD!

Scary book:
HELTER SKELTER BY VINCENT BUGLIOSI (THANK YOU, DEBBY) OR SHOULD I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT CHARLIE MANSON.

message 47: by Debby (new)

Debby | 3804 comments Hey Kathy! Yeah, I agree, the less said about Charles Manson the better. I even get the creeps watching documentaries about him or his murder sprees.

message 48: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Debby, you are going to think I'm really wierd....but I loved Helter Skelter and I've read many books on the Manson Family. I love horror and being scared! Charles Manson definitely gives me big time creeps! But I keep going back. Very wierd! lol

message 49: by Angelica (new)

Angelica Bermejo (angelicabermejo) | 5 comments Questions
1) The worst reading experience that you have ever had? Anne rice's "The jewish boy" or something like that, I don't eve remember the title

2) The best reading experience you have ever had? Ann Frank's Diary, it was my first book ever read.

3) Which book has affected or influenced you the most so far? Anne Frank's Diary, becuase of that I'm a reader now.

4) Have you ever read a book that you got really scared of? Not yet

5) What do you use as a bookmark? always the receipt from the bookstore.

6) When do you usually read? At home, work, while cooking, in the morning, noon, afternoon, before you go to bed...? at work, before going to bed, while I'm eating.

7) Do you remember the first book that you read?yes, Anne Frank's diary.

8) Which do you prefer - paperback or hardcover? I really don't care about that.

9) What are you currently reading? What page are you on? The Witches hour, page 30 something.

10) Do you ever leave "a mark" (deliberate and/or not deliberate) in your books? For example, write in them, underline quotes, coffeemarks or food crumbs and etc. NOooooo, my books are impecable, neat, clean, i don't fold, write or scratch.

11) Does the title, amount of pages and the cover affect you when you are considering a specific book? Maybe the title.

12) Do you ever browse through to the last pages in order find out the ending? sometimes hehehe.

13) Have knowing the ending of a book (example, through spoilers or a movie) ever made you decide whether you will read the book or not? Hmm I don't think so.

14) Is there a book that you have read more than five times?Yes.

15) Have you ever been in an accident where the book was the cause? (for example, almost getting hit by a car when reading while walking, or having stacks of books falling on you from a bookshelf...) Not yet.

16) Do you sell/give away your books or do you keep them, even though you don't like one of them? I always keep them no matter what.

17) Do you bring with you the book when needing to use the toilet? Do you ever read in the bathroom? hahahahahahaha.

18) Do you have some kind of book system, where you write down what you are reading, have bought, will read, will buy and etc? (goodreads doesn't count ;)) no.

19) Do you keep a reading diary/journal? always!!!

message 50: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments This was a fun survey to do but not nearly as fun as reading all the responses!! I tink it is great. Bring on more of this kind of thing!!

Wife of GR author: Michael J. Sullivan | The Crown Conspiracy (10/08) | Avempartha (04/09)

« previous 1 3