What should I read next?: The book ending support group discussion

Favorite Kind Of Endings

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I'm a sucker for happy endings. I also like unexpected endings.

message 2: by Aimee (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Aimee | 35 comments Mod
I do enjoy happy endings. And a twist is definitely good.

I also enjoy bittersweet endings. You know, endings that are part good, but also not everything is how you want it to be. That can make it feel more real.

A thousand Splendid Suns to me is an example of that.

message 3: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Rachel Burton (bookish_yogi) | 5 comments I like an ending I couldn't have predicted - it being happy is a bonus.

I'm actually a bit of a sucker for an ending where all the loose ends aren't tied up, or indeed where there is some sort of avenue left unexplored - mainly because that's what life is like and also because it gets my imaginative juices flowing.

I have to say though a good tragic ending once in a while is also fabulous.

message 4: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I enjoy reading books where I cannot predict the ending. If I think Ive got it nailed, It kind of ruins the rest of the book for me. Twists, and unpredictable endings are the most interesting.

Im not a big fan of the uberhappy ending, where everyone is all in love and hugging and kissing, and I am also not a big fan of the ubersad endings, where a book leaves you babbling like a baby with multiple soggy tissues on the couch cushion next to you....

Like Rach said, life doesnt tie everything up nicely and neatly in a little box and bow, the novels I read shouldnt try to do that either.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

This is really a comment about the whole book experience-- I love books that draw me in and make me care about the characters to the point where I am emotionally entangled. For some strange reason I like to feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster with the book-- maybe because I can put the book down; I'm in control, whereas in real life, I don't get to stop the roller coaster. Anyway. I like endings that make sense with the rest of the book. Anything that is totally out of line just seems cheezy.

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam Harkin (sammydeedge) | 3 comments I'm kind of happy with the extremes of some story endings. Basically I like twist endings however I want something that won't pulled out of nowhere without as much as a small hint. (e.g. Agatha Christie novels) I also enjoy tied up endings but I also enjoy some endings that are left to the imagination (e.g. An ending that is left to the imagination is and then there were none).

By the way I do realize there are other authors other than Agatha Christie.

message 7: by Aaron (new)

Aaron White (aaronelwhite) Happy endings are great, but also a dime a dozen. What I really love is when a book (or film, for that matter) doesn't end well. When death is inevitable or circumstances aren't magically changed just to put a smile on the reader's face. I prefer realistic endings, whatever they may be.

message 8: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk I like endings that tie up their loose ends. Nothing annoys me more than finishing a book and suddenly knowing that there WILL be a sequel and I have to wait for the resolution. Not that I object to series, per se, but I particularly hate the ones that chop a bigger book into two or more chunks that don't stand on their own.

message 9: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Coble | 2 comments I like all kinds of endings. But for me, I always see a book as its own kind of thing, so I find it hard to compare books. When I read sad ending, I'm mad that I'm crying. But looking back at them, I'd say I liked them. Same with happy. But I do agree that anything that goes beyond the boundaries of reality is just not believable. And Stormhawk, I agree with you completely! I hate loose endings and waiting for the new book. I'm waiting for the new book in Eragon, the Inheritances Cycle. Ugh, I can't wait for that to come out!

message 10: by Poppy (new)

Poppy Aaron wrote: "Happy endings are great, but also a dime a dozen. What I really love is when a book (or film, for that matter) doesn't end well. When death is inevitable or circumstances aren't magically changed j..."

The only thing more annoying is when you finish a book, immediately know that there WILL be a sequel, and the story is so predictable, you know what's going to happen in that sequel. I bought the 2nd book in the Inheritance Cycle (Eldest) solely to check and see if I was right. And you know what? I was.

message 11: by Adam (last edited Aug 03, 2011 01:40PM) (new)

Adam (trustyweasel) | 3 comments I just like a story to have a resolution, whether it's good or bad. True to life or romantic fantasy. I don't really need things to be tied up with a neat little bow either. What I don't like...what drives me to knock stars off another wise great review, is an ending that ignores the main plot devise that pulled me into the story to begin with. "Into the Woods" was a big offender on that point. Another thing that kills an ending for me is when it is too perfect. Not that Twilight had much going for it to begin with, but the resolution for "Breaking Dawn" had the ending of an over zealous fan-fiction.

message 12: by Mili (new)

Mili Gaviola I adore happy endings where everyone ends up in a happy relationship with their true love!

message 13: by Sana'a (new)

Sana'a Abdul latheef | 5 comments It depends on the genra, but sometimes it's hard to generalize. For example, if it's a simple family based story or a classic, I prefer a complete ending, good or bad, and not something that I end up with 'eh?'. If it's a mystery, I would like some twists or turns in the end, and I especially love crime mysteries, where it's impossible to guess the culprit of the crime, no matter how randomly you guess from the character list. Or if it's a psychological thriller or alike, I would love the endings where I end up with questions and doubts, which I didn't have since the start of the story. I don't like too many twists and turns, as often it ends up boring, and impossible to take in.