Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > House of Sand and Fog:

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) did not read the book but HATED the movie. Thought Jennifer Connelly's character was a loser.

message 2: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Mark | 65 comments I liked the book and the movie. I liked the timeliness of it, as well as the edginess. Okay if folks didn't like them, though! I used to have a rule of not reading any Oprah book club books, but she's radically changed it during the past several years, so now I've changed my opinion about it, although there are still several early selections that I loathe.

message 3: by Melissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Melissa (Melissaharl) I haven't read the book as of yet, but I liked the movie. I don't usually need to like or approve of characters to enjoy fiction.

About Oprah's club, I know it seemed too 'popular' or something, so I ignored it. But Love in the Time of Cholera (read in 1988) is one of my all-time favorites, so I feel less superior to all that now.

message 4: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Mark | 65 comments I agree, Philip. Oprah's now had two of Garcia Marquez's books on her formerly eschewed and ridiculed by me list, the other one being One Hundred Years of Solitude. I bet ole Gabriel is grateful to her! I need to read LITTOC again. What I most remember about it and am reminded of it every time I eat it, is asparagus and its subsequent olfactory effects!! I try to stay away from brackish water, though, because of that book.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Audiences don't like to be confronted with characters who are difficult to like, but Jennifer Connelly's character is wrestling with depression. Depression ain't nuttin' to f*** wit' (as The Wu-Tang Clan might say).

She does mean stuff to people she doesn't understand, but the whole MOVIE is about how people with reasons for doing what they do ignore other peoples' needs and wishes because they don't UNDERSTAND them. Or don't WANT to understand them.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book a couple of years ago. I didn't get through it on my first attempt, because it starts really, really slow, but a friend of mine assured me that it would get a lot better about halfway through, so I gave it another shot. It did get a lot better, but it was still a very difficult book because you alternately pitied/disliked all of the characters in turn. Not one of my favorites.