historical fiction fans discussion

love it

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

Carrie (mrsa) | 2 comments I am in love with historical fiction but I feel like I'm running out of authors who write in the genre. I've read Margaret George and Phillipa Gregory.

message 2: by Grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

Grace | 10 comments Mod
yah i know. but seriously Carolyn Myir(i think that is how u spell her name) is a great historical fiction writer. she has at least 10 good historical fiction books. every last one that i have read or hers i havent been able to put down.

message 3: by Grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

Grace | 10 comments Mod
i think that we should be friends

message 4: by Grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

Grace | 10 comments Mod
at least on here. we both like historical fiction
here u should also check out my books alot of them are historical fiction

message 5: by Carrie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Carrie (mrsa) | 2 comments Hey Grace.. I love your name by the way. I looked up Carolyn Myir and found Carolyn Meyer who write novels for young people - is that the author you're talking about?

message 6: by Grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Grace | 10 comments Mod
yah i just messed up spelling her name. thanks ur name is cool too

message 7: by Jenn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Jenn Sprinkel | 2 comments Mary Renault is a good historical fiction writer. She writes novels on Greek history. They are very interesting and I have read a few of them. I have a bunch listed on my page if you want to browse...

message 8: by CmPete (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

CmPete Tucker | 1 comments Anything by Irving Stone (Agony & Esctasy, Lust for Life, Love is Eternal, Imortal Wife etc)

Robin Maxwell - did some good Elizabeth based books

Caroly Erikson - Marie Antoinette (her non fiction is a bit dry IMHO)

Anya Seton (Katherine, Winthrop woman, Avalon, etc) defined the genre. Her books are being re-released.

Jean Plaidy/Nora Lofts - a little more romance slant, but good reads. Many are being re-released.

American history: Gwen Bristow, Francis Parkinson Keyes, Celeste DeBlasis. Older books, but worth a shot if you find them.

Susan Howatch - Wheel of Fortune, Penmarric, etc - re-tell mideival stories in a more contemporary setting.

RF Delderfield - (God is an Englishman, A Horseman Riding By, etc) Victorian/Edwardian/midcentury. Great family sagas that deal with social, political and commercial conditions of the times.

And then there is the latest Oprah pick - Pillars of the Earth. which is WONDERFUL.

In the non-fiction realm Antonia Fraser and Allison Weir are great. They are easy to read, and NOT dry and academic.