The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn discussion


3903 views
Just don't.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 153) (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Tanvira (new)

Tanvira Hey guys.First ignore the book thing cause i'm pretty new so i'm not sure how to make a thread or whatever it is without a topic.I've been reading alot of new books on my laptop ever since I got it(last June) but the site I use-4shared-is pretty good but it only has older books,most recent is around 7 to 8 months old so I want to know where you download your books from.oh and I don't wanna buy it either so....just don't crush my spirits....please...


message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Unless you are getting them from a library (where you can get them in epub form - a free Adobe Digital Editions program required to read on your laptop), any book that is not public domain (like the really old classics), you will have to pay for. The really old classics (like the Jane Austens, etc) are public domain and are free to get, but if you are talking books published more recently, you have to buy. It sounds like this 4-shared is piracy if you are getting pdfs of books only 7-8 months old, not from a library and not paying for it. Why not give payment to the author as is due to them for their work? If you don't want to pay, get it from the library. I am crushing your spirits because I think writers deserve to be paid too (and no, I'm not a writer).


message 3: by Deidre (last edited Jan 24, 2012 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deidre This generation is so ungrateful and entitled sometimes. If you can't Google it and get it for free, there must be something wrong, because everything should just be free, without any work put in. Ridiculous..

Sorry to "crush your spirits", but seriously, if you want something badly enough, make it a priority: Give up your coffee at Starbucks for a little while, and save up to buy it. It'll mean more to you, and the author will be able to get payment for their work. It won't kill you.


message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Denim Hiya,
So, there are actually tons of brand new books (every day) for free. Amazon has over 300 new ones just today. They also have a free cloud reader, which means you can read their kindle books right there without having to download any other new software. However, if you do want to read exclusively PDF I recommend getting a free program called Calibre (just search it on the net) You can convert pretty much any ebook file to any other kind of ebook file. So that way you can download epubs or .lit or .mobi or just about anything else and convert them to pdf files. However there are lots of free e-reading apps out there too if you don't want to convert but still want to read them on your computer.
Also, libraries are the bomb. Even if you have a small library (but maybe not in Spain) they most likely have access to something called Overdrive. It's essentially an online library and it's awesome. You just have to belong to the library to use it.
Finally, this is a bit of a plug, but I have a blog called 365 days, 365 free ebooks, where I blog about free books I've read and have a couple of posts on where to get them. If you'd like you can check it out at http://amydenim.blogspot.com
Hope that was helpful as I'm a huge free ebook fan and am jazzed about helping other people get them for free too. On another note, I used to be a huge pirater, (4Shared was bookmarked) because I was poor and living overseas (where it was hard to get new English books). I'm still poor, but now back in the States and the library has become my best friend. There are lots of places to legally get free ebooks and by using them you're not hurting the author's bottom line. (I'm a new author myself- we don't make much money, thus why I'm still poor).
Let me know if you've got more questions, I'll try to help out.
--A


message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Deidre wrote: "This generation is so ungrateful and entitled sometimes. If you can't Google it and get it for free, there must be something wrong, because everything should just be free, without any work put in. ..."

Absolutely agree with you!!


message 6: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Findley Um ... Calibre does a very poor job of producing pdf files. Sorry. It also requires you to start with an html copy, not "any format."

Scribd is a site that has pdf format, and some things there are free. Some are also pay. My books are on there, and they are not free. Feel free to look around! :-)


message 7: by Tanvira (new)

Tanvira Well guys, thanks a ton for the help and I'd like u to know why I wanna download books for free. I love paperback/hardcover books as much as any in the world but I live in a place where reading is sth only nerds do and is like a crime to be reading outside of school so there isn't many libraries with new English books for me to borrow or buy or else I'd have to get another library in my house! So I'm sorry if I offended any of you writers- I just can't help it..:( T_____T


message 8: by Tanvira (new)

Tanvira Oh and Deidre, I haven't drunk Starbucks coffee in almost ten years, since I've moved here so try living with that! And i've loved reading dor over half my life, it's not my fault that I can't buy books from this dumbass country I live in! So gimme a break, alright?


message 9: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Findley Tanvira wrote: "Well guys, thanks a ton for the help and I'd like u to know why I wanna download books for free. I love paperback/hardcover books as much as any in the world but I live in a place where reading is ..."

Tanvira, I have a free book on Scribd, now, BTW, Diary of a Christian Dog, a Novella bout 13,000. I'm posting this to see if it gets any new downloads. It is 99 cents elsewhere (Amazon, Smashwords.). :-)


message 10: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim This site has many public domain books that can be downloaded as pdf's and other formats

http://www.feedbooks.com/publicdomain

Project Gutenberg also has tons of public domain books in multiple formats

http://www.gutenberg.org/


message 11: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Findley Tanvira wrote: "Oh and Deidre, I haven't drunk Starbucks coffee in almost ten years, since I've moved here so try living with that! And i've loved reading dor over half my life, it's not my fault that I can't buy ..."

Tanvira, I have two Goodreads friends in Nigeria and Jakarta who did not know where/how to buy my books, so I gave them a copy in exchange for a review. Check out my books (I'm a Goodreads author, and if you like one, and will review it, I will give you a pdf copy. I understand what it's like not to be able to afford to buy or live in a place where you caan't buy.


message 12: by Tanvira (new)

Tanvira Awww! Thanks Mary, I really appreciate it. In fact I'm gonna check out some books of yours right now!:)


message 13: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Findley Tanvira wrote: "Awww! Thanks Mary, I really appreciate it. In fact I'm gonna check out some books of yours right now!:)"

Tanvira wrote: "Awww! Thanks Mary, I really appreciate it. In fact I'm gonna check out some books of yours right now!:)"
:-)


message 14: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Findley Mary wrote: "Tanvira wrote: "Awww! Thanks Mary, I really appreciate it. In fact I'm gonna check out some books of yours right now!:)"

Tanvira wrote: "Awww! Thanks Mary, I really appreciate it. In fact I'm gonn..."


If you like spunky YA girls, you might like Hope and the Knight of the Black Lion, Tanvira. Just a suggestion. Most of my women are spunky. :-)


message 15: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin W I was going to recommend libraries--my local public library system has an extensive database of electronic materials. You can check out e-media as easily as physical media; the file goes through a specific computer system which deletes it from your computer or e-reader when the 2 weeks (or whatever) has elapsed.

But, since the library doesn't appear to be an option, I second the recommendation for Project Gutenberg. It's all public domain (which means mostly stuff pre-1923) and you can either read on the site or download a copy to your computer. PDF is usually an available option. I recommend sifting through those resources; it's a big world beyond new releases.

Also, speaking as someone who is a part of this "ungrateful and entitled generation," pricing on consumer products has grown exponentially in the last 20-30 years. Even shelling out for paperbacks has become prohibitive, at least at the rate that some of us want to read. Couple that with an insanely bad financial climate which most of us have been dealing with for our entire working lives, and we just don't have the pocket money to throw around like your generation must have had. Give us a break.


message 16: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Findley Erin wrote: "I was going to recommend libraries--my local public library system has an extensive database of electronic materials. You can check out e-media as easily as physical media; the file goes through a ..."

Erin, I agree with you that there's no sense in berating readers if they can't afford to buy books. I wish my books were bestsellers but the economy is very bad and my purpose in writing is to get readers, not to get mad at them because they're broke. I also understand how the writers feel when everybody says, "Hey, I just got an e-reader! Where are the free books?" The economy and taxes keep us all poor. :-)


message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Tanvira wrote: "Well guys, thanks a ton for the help and I'd like u to know why I wanna download books for free. I love paperback/hardcover books as much as any in the world but I live in a place where reading is ..."

I'm sorry to have judged you. I wish you would have mentioned your plight in your first post so I knew why you were looking for free books. I've become jaded by our culture of wanting everything for free. I couldn't imagine living in a country where books are so hard to find - I guess I should be blessed to live where I can get books whenever I want them. Good luck to you!


message 18: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Whatever the state of the economy, stealing is stealing is stealing, and that's what bit torrent sites are. Stealing...


Beukenick Jim wrote: "Whatever the state of the economy, stealing is stealing is stealing, and that's what bit torrent sites are. Stealing..."

'Imagine your car gets stolen, but it's still there in the morning...'
File-sharing might be a criminal offence, but you simply cannot equate it with theft.


message 20: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Beukenick wrote: "Jim wrote: "Whatever the state of the economy, stealing is stealing is stealing, and that's what bit torrent sites are. Stealing..."

'Imagine your car gets stolen, but it's still there in the morn..."


Can, will, do...


Adarsh Tanvira wrote: "Hey guys.First ignore the book thing cause i'm pretty new so i'm not sure how to make a thread or whatever it is without a topic.I've been reading alot of new books on my laptop ever since I got it..."

If you are so interested in reading ebooks..just download books in .epub format..most of the file sharing sites (4shared, mediafire) will host them..and get yourself an ebook reader phone app..(Laputa Reader if you have an android mobile..or kindle)..works like a charm..it gets almost as good as reading a real book..


Romina Tanvira wrote: "Hey guys.First ignore the book thing cause i'm pretty new so i'm not sure how to make a thread or whatever it is without a topic.I've been reading alot of new books on my laptop ever since I got it..."


Yeah, I know what you mean. Try living in a country in South America where there are THREE book stores that have stuff in English, which is of course in the country's capital (and I don't live in the capital) and the cheapest books are expensive because they're imported. And if you buy direct from amazon/ebay or whatever:
The shipping from the US to here costs $20 the kg (which is about 2 pounds) plus the internal US shipping which is about $4 plus the cost of the book itself which let's say $5 (usually a bit more). In total one can spend about $30.00 for ONE book (if you're lucky) so that's not much of an option as well. At least not here in this country where the average salary is about $500 the month. I think people have to be more understanding that not every country have all the options available in the States, most don't actually.


message 23: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin W For the record, I do not support the illegal downloading of books. It is theft, as it is the unauthorized reproduction of intellectual property. It does not compare to lending your paperback to your neighbor, however much we try to tell ourselves as much. That is why I pointed Tanvira towards legitimate sources of reading material online: libraries and books in the public domain.

I feel for people who are living in remote areas where reading material is scarce. But there is SO MUCH available to them, legally, through a good library or a good internet connection.

Also, it gets almost as good as reading a real book.
Electronic books ARE REAL BOOKS. It is the exact same text you would find between two covers. If you have listened to the audiobook, or read through the e-text, you have read the book. Period.


message 24: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Findley Erin wrote: "For the record, I do not support the illegal downloading of books. It is theft, as it is the unauthorized reproduction of intellectual property. It does not compare to lending your paperback to you..."

Very well said, Erin!


Romina Mary wrote: "Erin wrote: "For the record, I do not support the illegal downloading of books. It is theft, as it is the unauthorized reproduction of intellectual property. It does not compare to lending your pap..."

Definitely! Thank goodness for Gutenberg! :)


message 26: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan Amy wrote: "Hiya,
So, there are actually tons of brand new books (every day) for free. Amazon has over 300 new ones just today. They also have a free cloud reader, which means you can read their kindle books r..."


Amazon is not free with their over 300 new ones. You have to be a member of Amazon Prime which is $79.00 a year.


message 27: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Findley Jan wrote: "Amy wrote: "Hiya,
So, there are actually tons of brand new books (every day) for free. Amazon has over 300 new ones just today. They also have a free cloud reader, which means you can read their ki..."


I do not have Amazon Prime and I can still get many free books. Besides others listed as free, authors in the KDP Select program can list their books free up to 5 days out of each 90 days they are in the program. Those are free to anyone with a normal Amazon membership, and they are new books.


message 28: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan All I'm saying is I tried to download several and then noticed they were free only to Prime membership. Which is 79.00 a yr. Some authors still do give their books away free though you are right.


message 29: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Findley Jan wrote: "All I'm saying is I tried to download several and then noticed they were free only to Prime membership. Which is 79.00 a yr. Some authors still do give their books away free though you are right."

Yes, Jan, I guess some are only free to Prime members. Are those the lending ones, maybe? Other authors are talking about thousands of free downloads. Is it possible that many people have the Prime Membership? Wow. I will ask around. Thanks for bringing this up.


Whitney In similar situations to people here, I would probably be pirating books as well. And it would still be stealing; no matter what excuses or justifications I might offer.

Being in a country without decent libraries sucks, it’s still stealing. Having no money sucks, it’s still stealing. Many ebooks are overpriced, it’s still stealing. Stealing bits instead of a physical object may not feel like stealing, it’s still stealing. Your unique situation does not make wrong right or mean that theft somehow isn’t stealing. Do what your own morality allows, but at least stop with the delusion that the law doesn’t apply to you.

For those who want to go the more honest route, many legit sites for free ebooks have already been mentioned. Some additions to the list: manybooks.net has free books, Inkmesh.com has a search option for free books, and Barnes and Noble has daily specials of ebooks for low cost. There are also some lending sites such as ebookfling.com where you can swap or rent books (I haven’t tried the lending sites myself, so not sure how well they work).


James Inman Grow up people. The internet is the new printing press and library all wrapped up in one little machine inside your own home. It has changed everything about the world we live in. If you want to find free .pdf books learn how to use bittorrent, Google and file shares. This IS the new library and you just can't wrap your mind around it. What do you think a library is? It's a place to find and read free books. Plain and simple. I'm sure when the first library was built there were authors who complained no one would be paying for their books if they were checking them out at the library. Where are those authors now? Dead. And if you're only writing to make money then you shouldn't be writing in the first place.

"Of all writings I love only that which is written with blood. Write with blood: and you will discover that blood is spirit." -- Nietzsche

The most frightening thing to people in power is a more powerful printing press and a gigantic library where anyone can read anything they want. Think about it. The publishing industry and our government would absolutely LOVE to control this but the genie is already out of the bottle. Those in power will never out hack the hackers and this internet you are using right now was literally built on the free flow of information.


Whitney Or you can posture like you’re some progressive freedom-fighting futurist instead of a spoiled brat who wants everything for free. It’s still stealing.


message 33: by James (last edited Feb 12, 2012 07:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

James Inman "It's still stealing"? You should also tell that to Jeff Bezos at Amazon. I make .89 cents per book sale from my $10.00 book. A book that I wrote myself, made my own cover, formatted it, published it, promoted it and uploaded it. How does that work exactly? When the Kindle version doesn't even have any pages? How does Amazon make 90% off my book and every other small author's book?

And what about the publishing industry? Why didn't they accept my book so I could sell it legitimately like a real published author? Or my movie? Oh let me see, I think they said something like they were both too controversial or not mainstream enough. (You'll probably say, "Because they probably suck" but whatever, to each his own). But what is my option for a distribution platform? How do I get my book or movie out to my audience since the Today Show isn't knocking on my door?

When the printing press was invented it was a giant leap forward. Here's a quote I copied and pasted straight from Wikipedia, "The invention and spread of the printing press is widely regarded as the most influential event in the second millennium AD, revolutionizing the way people conceive and describe the world they live in, and ushering in the period of modernity." When the people in power realized anyone could build a printing press and distribute whatever information they wanted they knew full well they were losing their grip on power. So what was their next step? Control the printing press.

Now imagine a world were every individual has in their own home their own printing press. When you right click on a file (no matter how large it is) and copy and paste it you can put an exact copy in another file. What do you think you are doing? It's the same thing as the printing press only multiplied by millions. Not only is it possible to copy and paste millions of bits of information now but millions of average people have this technology in their own home.

Now imagine an author who writes the next modern day version of The Rights of Man by Thomas Paine. What if Amazon won't allow it on their site, the government doesn't want it distributed, all the mainstream media outlets are dead set against it and the church is preaching at the pulpit on how dangerous it is? How would anyone ever hear these ideas if everything is under control and no one could share information? Not just in the US but think of fascist dictatorships and fundamentalist controlled states. This technology would be a revolution and that is exactly what is happening right under your nose.

What is really amazing to me is that the average person has had the ability to do this since 1995 or 1997 (when everyone first started buying a computer) and yet I am the only one in this thread to post an opposing viewpoint? Maybe it's because I use and have access to the uncontrolled flow of information and you are still living in the old paradigm. I am using a giant library that you couldn't even begin to imagine and you are only reading what you are told you can read. Half of the books on my Kindle right now you couldn't even find on this website if you tried.


message 34: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Grayson James wrote: ""It's still stealing"? You should also tell that to Jeff Bezos at Amazon. I make .89 cents per book sale from my $10.00 book. A book that I wrote myself, made my own cover, formatted it, published ..."

Whilst I agree with many of your points, I have to point out one crucial difference between this 'virtual library' and a real library. It may seem obvious, but I think it needs saying; with a real library, no, you do not pay for the books, but you do have to return them within a set period. With file-sharing etc. the book is not being returned, it is being kept indefinitely. Libraries were proven to actually push up the sales of books because readers wanted their own copy of the book to keep. With the ability to download everything for free, no-one need ever buy a book again.

I started with a very similar situation to yourself, where I couldn't find a publisher who would even consider my books and I do completely understand what you are saying. However, I don't do this for the money, not at all, but self-publishing is also self-financed and every penny I get for my books I am able to put back into them to improve them and make more of them. When I started out, I would buy a bulk order of my own books and sell them myself to avoid that ridiculous commission that Amazon et all take for themselves. This isn't a tactic which many people can do successfully, I know it didn't work particularly well for me and it is a significant financial investment.

I make my books as cheap as I possibly can, to make them available to as many people as possible and it does frustrate me that so many people do seem to share this view of a 'virtual library' where there's nothing wrong with taking these books for free because it's just like a library. It's not. It's potentially very damaging, I think. Particularly to self-published and small-time authors who financially invest in their work with their own money.


message 35: by James (last edited Feb 12, 2012 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

James Inman Lucy you write...

"with a real library, no, you do not pay for the books, but you do have to return them within a set period. With file-sharing etc. the book is not being returned, it is being kept indefinitely."

That just makes this kind of "library" that much more amazing, hard to comprehend, revolutionary and giant a paradigm shift.

The whole concept of the internet was first envisioned by DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency). During the cold war they were worried that during a nuclear attack if they had all their intelligence in one place how would they protect it? You couldn't build a bunker deep enough and the Soviets would find out where it was. So they came up with the idea to distribute that information everywhere. With a giant web of information any place that was attacked would be no problem because it would also be somewhere else.

Now we have that same technology in our hands. They don't mind. They wouldn't let us have it if it were really that dangerous. Plus the people in the know realized it would be a great leap forward and probably help topple dictatorships and communism all over the world. Look at P2P and bittorrent as the same thing. It's a giant library that exists on millions of hard drives all over the world. I know on one hand you can look at it like it's a way to "steal" music, movies and software. But what if something happened? Like all the media outlets came under control of a small group of people (which is actually happening as I write this), or a giant war broke out or a natural disaster? All of that information, music, film and software would still be out there somewhere on all the millions of hard drives and computers. That is a giant indestructible library where you can always access information. And even if the internet is shut down or it becomes so chaotic we don't have electricity. That data is still on those hard drives and when we rebuild an infrastructure we'll be able to access it and share it again. Think of the loss of the Library at Alexandria. There will be no way some religious nut could put a torch to it and burn it all down.


message 36: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Grayson I am not contesting the amazing leap which the use of the internet and portable information has inspired. I am and will continue to challenge your theory that this is anything remotely like a library. Purely for the fact that, as I said before, in a library the 'information' is returned after a set period of time. If we transfer that library into a virtual world it is very difficult to replicate because of the technology available to copy and paste material in an instant and the sophistication of new software to get past even the most stringent DRM.

It IS theft, however you wish to justify it, if you take something which belongs to someone else without paying the correct decided price for it. It doesn't matter how incredible the medium used or the capacity for holding and sharing information. It is NOT a library. The intention is irrelevant, the abilities of the medium is irrelevant. What is relevant is that you cannot argue the comparison, when there really is nothing to be compared.

I agree that the internet is amazing in the way it has opened the world to this vast amount of information which we are able to access instantly and freely. I am an advocate of free information, but this is something entirely different.

Again, in a library the books are returned after a set period and if it is enjoyed the reader will either check it out again or go and buy it. When downloading information you are taking it, not returning and giving the creator absolutely no recognition for the work they have put it. File-sharing has NOTHING in common with a library.

What you are describing seems to have more in common with a giant database, which is essentially what they internet is, I agree. That doesn't make it right or justifiable. There are a lot of things on the internet which are wrong and morally objectionable. All of those things will survive, as well.

I am not disagreeing with you in the sense that I don't think the internet creates that space and ability to access anything you want at any time and that cannot be controlled or taken over because of the sheer vastness of it. I am merely objecting to the portion of your argument which insists that this is like a library. A database, yes. A library, definitely not.


message 37: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy At least the library has purchased the books the patrons borrow. At least the library has paid for the license for the eBooks it lends. Real libraries at least compensate the author. When people pirate stories, or music, or movies off the Internet, the creator does not get paid at all. James, as a writer, I would think you would like to get some compensation for your work rather than let everyone pirate it for free. Yes, writers should write for the love of writing and not for the pay, but if the world shifts where everyone just pirates books off the Internet, many, many writers would just quit because they would have to get real jobs to support themselves. Since you so seem to support the idea of people using the Internet as a library and not paying for books, how do you expect writers to earn a living?


message 38: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Grayson Amy wrote: "At least the library has purchased the books the patrons borrow. At least the library has paid for the license for the eBooks it lends. Real libraries at least compensate the author. When people pi..."

Very well put, Amy. I agree wholeheartedly.


message 39: by James (last edited Feb 12, 2012 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

James Inman Amy you write...

"but if the world shifts where everyone just pirates books off the Internet, many, many writers would just quit because they would have to get real jobs to support themselves."

That sounds like the Fundamentalist Christian argument against homosexuality. They argue, "What if everyone becomes gay? No one anywhere on the planet will reproduce and eventually we will all die off as a species!"

Give me a break. There will always be people who buy books, music, film and software. I have people who buy my book and movie and people who download them for free, loan them out and copy them. There is no way I can control what they do with it after they have it in their hands. This is just a fact of life and I can either accept it or whine and complain about it. Or I can actually look at it from a different perspective.

Every system has it's problems and attributes. My wife used to work at a Public Library and if you only knew what kind of controls and red tape that went in to what books ended up on the shelf your head would explode. Also I have always asked myself why certain books weren't even available at Border's Books or Barnes & Nobel. It has to do with distribution and who controls what goes on the shelf. Now I'll agree on your point that the downside in this new "library" is the problem with compensation to the creator. But you cannot deny the fact that with this new kind of distribution platform there is way, way more variety, selection, freedom and access. Ever go to a grocery store and wonder why they have the worst books right there by the check out lane? It's because someone controls that shelf space. It's as simple as that. I used to wonder if everyone was just too stupid to read good literature? Was it the marketing? Were these books actually awesome and I was the dumb guy? Was it the manager of the store who had no taste? But then you go to another store from the same corporate chain on the other side of town and you see the same books right there on the shelf. Something has to be going on here and if you don't see it I don't how to explain it to you. Something is under control. Sometimes I feel like Winston Smith from 1984 when I discus this problem and I am amazed at how people just repeat the same slogans they hear off the Telescreen. And anyone who thinks differently is committing Thoughtcrime.

You can say what you want about my ideas here but you cannot deny the fact that I am the only one in this thread (I should really call it a herd because you are all thinking alike) that has posted a different take on this subject. You should all be ashamed of yourself for marching in lock step to the same tune.


message 40: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Grayson Firstly, there is no need to insult people for having a differing opinion from yourself. I am very interested in your view and would definitely like to discuss it further, but it takes a lot away from that when you start making it personal.

Secondly, I agree with almost everything you've said. As it is, I'm not offering an opinion on how I feel about file-sharing and what effects it may or may not have. Music downloading hasn't had an effect on music sales, same with films. Books will always sell.

Whether someone agrees with file-sharing or not is down to them. My disagreement with you comes, as I have stated, with the idea that this resembles a library, when it doesn't.

I have to say, I think you're completely right about the control of distribution. Having worked in a public library and then a book store, myself, the bureaucratic self-importance is astounding and so often books which deserve a true variance in availability do not get it. It's a constant source of frustration.

I agree as well that the internet gives a much more free and massive variety on the material you can have access to.

As I've said, I don't want to get into my own personal opinion as to be honest, it's quite torn and often conflicting of itself.

The future definitely lies in digital media and the ability to share instantly, anything that you want to. It gives books and other creative media much more of a chance to grow and expand beyond what they would achieve otherwise.


Whitney Ah, there it is, the 'anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot' contention. The unmistakable mark of the supercilious troll.


James Inman Lucy you wrote...

"Firstly, there is no need to insult people for having a differing opinion from yourself."

I'm a comedian so don't take it seriously. And this is the internet so don't take it personally. I don't know you personally and I'm not speaking to you in person. Actually I didn't even attack anyone personally. I was speaking to the entire group. I'm not even sure if that makes it ok or even more insulting. If you really knew what I do and how I write professionally you would probably compliment me on how polite I've been. Most of what I do on stage and write is littered with expletives and all kinds of crazy ideas. I'm pretty proud of myself that I didn't use one curse word. You have no idea how hard that is for me. If we met in public you would probably think I have a serious case of Tourette syndrome.


message 43: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy And homosexuality can be compared to pirating books how? Apparently though, I'm a stupid sheep who can only follow what the big bad government tells me so I'm probably too dumb to understand your explanation anyway. Seems to me you're bitter that publishing companies are not appreciating your obvious genius with your book because it doesn't fit into the bureaucratic bullcrap of the publishing/distributing industry. That's okay - I'll just head back to dumbville where I'll compensate the writers I want to read even though I'm being led astray from real literature by the big bad government and publishers.


message 44: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy James wrote: "Lucy you wrote...

"Firstly, there is no need to insult people for having a differing opinion from yourself."

I'm a comedian so don't take it seriously. And this is the internet so don't take it p..."


It's hard not to take insults on intelligence and gullibility seriously.


James Inman Amy, Whitney and Lucy all have it in for me. What is this? The Witches of Eastwick?


message 46: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy James wrote: "Amy, Whitney and Lucy all have it in for me. What is this? The Witches of Eastwick?"

Yes it is :)


message 47: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Let's agree to disagree. I realize the Internet is providing access to books, music, movies, etc. on a scale like no other in history. I just don't like to see pirating from the creator who should be compensated.


message 48: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Grayson Amy wrote: "James wrote: "Amy, Whitney and Lucy all have it in for me. What is this? The Witches of Eastwick?"

Yes it is :)"


Yep, pretty much.


message 49: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin W @James: two things. First, nobody cares about your comedy. Second, if you were actually reading any of the posts on this thread other than your own, you would realize that we have varied opinions and were having a legitimate conversation about digital versus physical media and the concept of sharing versus the right to intellectual property. We are not in lockstep, we are not sheep, and we are trying to continue the discussion. You are trying to have an argument. Please do it somewhere else.


James Inman (rolling eyes in the back of my head) Ok Mom.


« previous 1 3 4
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (other topics)
Self-Promotion for Authors (other topics)
Murder in the Pinelands (other topics)
The Rebellion (other topics)
Dead Storage (other topics)