Short Story Contests discussion

Weekly Contests > Week Five (Nov. 24 - Nov. 30) DONE

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Instructions:
Please do not use a story previously used on goodreads. After the week's contest, you are welcome to put it on your profile writings, but please refrain from using stories you have already put on there.

You have until Saturday afternoon to post a story on here. Please post it directly onto this topic, rather than posting a link. Also, please do not discuss stories on here. You must go to Weekly Short Story Contest Discussion (http://www.goodreads.com/topic... for that. This will avoid any clutter and confusion, so that people can simply come on here and read the story, without having to read comments on the story.

This week's Topic is Death. If anyone has any objections to this topic, please go to the Objections post. The rules are pretty loose. You could write about a a friend or family member you know who has died, death in general, or just had the word in the story...

Weekly stories must be at least 500 words long to 2,000 words long. (if the whole story won't fit in one post, divide it into two)

Good luck!

Clare

P.S. PLEASE say if you would like to have your story on Short Story Galore, if you win. This way it wouldn't take me ages to get your consent afterwards. This includes adding a link to your stories. If you want to have your story on the Short Story Galore, but not the link, just say so. People seem to be having trouble seeing this, so I think I'll post it three more times...

P.S. PLEASE say if you would like to have your story on Short Story Galore, if you win. This way it wouldn't take me ages to get your consent afterwards. This includes adding a link to your stories. If you want to have your story on the Short Story Galore, but not the link, just say so.

P.S. PLEASE say if you would like to have your story on Short Story Galore, if you win. This way it wouldn't take me ages to get your consent afterwards. This includes adding a link to your stories. If you want to have your story on the Short Story Galore, but not the link, just say so.

message 2: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments Lol,i might be able to use my story for this one!!!!

Am i allowed to post two??

message 3: by Chandani (last edited Nov 26, 2008 03:53PM) (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments Chasers Part one
By Chandani Smith
Monday 11/24/08
Word count aprox 1,024

*************************Part One****************************

“Alec!” I screamed as they encircled him, leaving no chance of escape. For a fleeting moment I saw his eyes. They weren’t begging for help, or full of fear. His eyes, locked with mine only translated one thing: Run.

There was a sharp screech, and then all was silent except for the sound of the monsters as they ripped my best friend to pieces.
I felt the stinging tears escape from my eyes. The trail of blood from where the monsters were standing, hunched over Alec’s dead body was gruesome.
I grabbed my gun.
One,
Two,
Three.
I shot them all, straight in the chest. Blue liquid spewing where blood should have.
I tried so hard to keep myself from breaking down. Tears fell from my eyes, but my face remained blank. Angrily I kicked the monsters bodies away, and stared horrified at Alec’s remains. I heard myself sob, my body shaking with the power of sheer anguish. I bent down and examined his bloody and disfigured body. I knew what I had to do, before the infection got into his blood stream and he became one of them. The monsters that killed him were dead for now, but they were going to wake up. I could see their wounds healing already. I put all of the bodies in a pile, and then struck a match. The venom that was coursing through the monsters veins, and infecting Alec, was highly flammable. The bodies were on fire before the match even touched them. As I watched my best friend and his murderers slowly burn, I cried. I cried for all of the times that Alec had saved my life, and how I had failed to save his. I cried because I knew that Alec was never coming back. And I cried selfishly, because I was alone.

My world is very different from yours. My world one where human beings are scarce. And where every day is a fight for survival.

Ten years ago to date, a government experiment went wrong. An experiment to in a sense, bring back the dead. The purpose of the experiments was to gather classified information, from deceased world leaders. It might have been a good idea, had it not destroyed civilization, as you know it. The initial experiment worked, and they were able to draw certain information from dead people. But we weren’t satisfied. Wealthy government families wanted them to being back their dead grandparents, uncles, and children. One man Simon Reynolds, paid the government $2 Billion dollars, to bring back his dead wife so he could tell her that he will always love her. Well, while bringing Margaret Reynolds back to life, something went wrong. Too bad we didn’t catch it until Mrs. Reynolds had infected Mr. Reynolds, and the government biologists whom brought her to life. Mr. Reynolds infected his children, and his children infected their schoolmates, and so on and so forth. It spread faster than mononucleosis in a seventh grade class. Four years after Mr. Reynolds was infected, so was more than half the country. Six more years after that, more than half the world. Today, the United States is deserted. A barren and horrible place. Human beings are going extinct. Only to be replace by something that I can only describe to you as…a zombie.

After the bodies were burned, I wondered if I should even bother going home. I dreaded having to tell them that I had failed. That I’m the one who let him die.
I wouldn’t really know how being suicidal feels, but it has to be something like the way I felt at that moment. I wanted it all to stop. I wanted to snow to stop falling, the world to stop moving, I wanted the world to recognize my pain. But it didn’t. Life somehow was going to go on. Whether I was going with it or not.
I began to slowly walk out of the forest that Alec and me had entered together, not even two hours ago.
The sidewalks of Salem Oregon were cracked from tree roots. Neat lawns became small forests in themselves. Me, Alec, Amelia, and Jacob were living in a small one-floor house towards the western borders of Salem. We had successfully barred the windows and doors with scrap metal, but living like we did was like being homeless. We had to move frequently, as the monsters; Chasers as we now call them now, follow.
Once at home I forced myself to raise my hand and do the secret knock.
Knock three times, wait two seconds knock five times count to four knock one time.
It was Jacob who came to the door. “Hey Cara—where’s Alec?” I didn’t answer him. I just stared. I let the tears and anguish in my eyes give him the answer.
“Cara, oh my god. Oh my god I—I” he just stood there in the doorway unable to comprehend. “Jacob, I'm so sorry! I tried, I tried so hard!” I sobbed. His face was blank as he took in my words. “Its okay. Were going to be okay.” He said. I wasn’t sure if he was comforting himself, or trying to calm me down.
All of the anger and frustration with myself came out right then. “No Jacob its not fine! I was right there! I could have saved him, I could have done something!
The outburst just made my cry more. Just to make things worse, Amelia came into the room. “Cara? Jacob? Where’s my brother?” I broke down again at the sight of her. She looked just like Alec, being his twin.
Jacob took Amelia by the hand and led her away. I could hear Jacobs blank voice as he explained to Amelia that her brother was dead. And I could hear Amelia’s broken sobs as she took it in. I let the tears fall silently from my face. I wanted to die, because it was my fault that Alec wasnt here with us right now. I wanted to scream because they refused to lay the rightful blame on me.
I didn’t know which was worse.

(not the end im about to post part Two!)

message 4: by Chandani (last edited Nov 26, 2008 03:58PM) (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments Chasers part Two
By Chandani Smith
Monday 11/24/08
Word count aprox 1,163

***********Part Two****************

That night my mind was plagued by nightmares. In my dreams, everyone was gone. Jacob, Amelia, Alec, everyone I loved and cared about. Even my parents came back, only to leave me again. My dreams made me remember the most horrid and terrible parts of my life.
They made me remember day my parents became Chasers. It was three years ago, and I was 12. Mom had gone out to buy some food, because back then there were still stores, however few. The man next door had been infected by his daughter that same day. He bit and infected my mom on her way home.
That was the first time Alec saved my life. If it weren’t for him, I would have been at home waiting for my mom. And when she came home, I would have become a Chaser. I had been at Alec and Amelia’s house for the day. When their mom took me home that night, we found only two Chasers standing in the doorway. It wasn’t long after that when Alec’s parents were killed. We set out on our own, living in abandoned apartments, and houses. That’s where we met Jacob, and he’s been with us ever since. Some times I wonder if we are the only ones left. I wonder if there are other people who have banded together to create a sense of family. But I can’t let my mind dwell on those things. When you live in a world like mine, you can only think for yourself and your family. You can only think of your struggle.

No one spoke the next morning. We all woke up at different times of the day. Jacob, at sunrise, me at noon, and Amelia sometime in between then. After a while I went back to bed. I couldn’t stand having to get up and move around, while Alec was dead. I just couldn’t. But I still had to pee.
It was already dark when I got up to go to the bathroom. I walked past the living room, and saw Amelia sitting there with a photo album on her lap. “Hey.” I said, slowly entering the room. Amelia looked up at me with red blotchy eyes. “Hey.” I walked over and sat down next to her. She was looking at a photo album that we had saved, from her old house. “These are—“ She cut me off “Pictures of Alec, I know.” She had lowered her head, but I could still see the tears that fell from her eyes. “I just miss him so much. I—I want him to come home. I want my brother!” She was full of sobbing by now. I felt tears come to my eyes as well. “I miss him too Amelia. I miss him too.”

The next few weeks went by in a blur. I spent the majority of my time sleeping, and crying. We were all grieving. Jacob just sat in the kitchen staring through the window most of the time.

They came three weeks after Alec died.
It was late at night, probably after four o’ clock.
It started as a small scratching sound. A sound that a raccoon or a stray cat could have made. But as the night progressed it got louder and louder. Until it became the unmistakable sound of Chasers trying to break down your door. I shot straight up, in bed and picked up my pistol from the bedside table. Whenever we move, we never settle down. We don’t unpack our things from backpacks, or put clothes in our closets. I pulled on my coat, grabbed my backpack and crept to Amelia’s room. She was already up, pulling on her clothes. “Hurry up.” I whispered, and went off to get Jacob.
The Chasers were getting louder. We were already by the back door by the time they broke in. The Hinges popped off the door with a terrible metallic shriek. I guess I can use this time to describe what chasers look like. They faintly resemble people. A head two arms, and two legs.But thats were the resemblance ends.
They have no hair, and their eyes are all red. Though they look like a slow moving zombie, they can run extremely fast. The sound that they make when they breathe will forever haunt my dreams. It is a wheezy growl that sends shivers up and down your spine. “Lets go!” I screamed, as the Chasers made their way towards us. Jacob yanked open the back door and we started running. After years of being chased, you get good at running away. We ran fast, but the Chasers were gaining. It wasn’t until the chasers were less than a yard behind us when Amelia cocked back her gun. She didn’t even stop running she just turned half around and:
Bang! Bang! Bang!
Three chasers down. I know that taking down chasers seems easy, but the sad fact is that Chasers don’t die. Ever. Shooting them can only buy us time. We’ve found that the most effective way to stall them is to shoot them and strike a match. Their blood/poison is flammable and it can burn the Chasers from the inside out. But that wont keep them from getting back up.
We didn’t have time to be thorough right now, the Chasers that we just shot would be up and running again in a matter of hours. We needed to get away from here.
We must have kept running for the next ten miles or so. Then we stopped. We were deep in the center of the Oregon forests. When humans started dying away, so did their impact on nature. Now trees grow in the middle of sidewalks, and entire cities become forest. We sat down for a while in the thick snow. “So where are we going now?” Amelia wheezed. “I really don’t know.” I replied. I knew that we weren’t in Salem anymore, but I had no idea what direction we had gone. We walked aimlessly for the next few days, only resting occasionally. It was early in the morning when I began to see a break in the trees. “Guys,” I said absently as I veered towards the break. As I got closer I smelled salt, I listened heard and could make out the crashing of waves. “Oh my god! It’s the ocean!” Amelia yelled. We walked out of the forest and found ourselves on a cliff, facing the Pacific Ocean. “Its beautiful.” Jacob muttered. It was the first thing that he had said since we left the house in Salem. We stood there on the cliff, staring at the water. Each of us silently mourning our lost friend. And grieving our situation.

I am going to conclude this small memoir here, though my story is far from over. We will keep fighting. Each our own war. We will survive, for the ones who did not. This isn’t the last that you’ll hear of me, or of the Chasers.

Be prepared.

THANKS GUYS!!!! Oh and oyu have my permission to most on Short story galore, should i be fortunate enough to win!!!

TANKS AGAIN!

(yes i said tanks i like it, it has a better ring to it)

message 5: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune two stories? Well I guess you can, but I think I'll only put on on the voting poll. So you'll have to pick which you like better...

message 6: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune oh, if you were continuing the story,then you don't have to like pick a half or anything... I would perfer u kept it all under the limit, but I'll let it slip this time...

Really good so far! : D

message 7: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune wow finished! It was A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!! You have a book just WAITING to be written here!!!

message 8: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments THANKS!!!

message 9: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune wow! wickedddd! love it!!!

Hey Calioppe, did you want last week's story up on Short Story Galore?

message 10: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments AWESOME!! That was soo cool!

message 11: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments :(

message 12: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments Thanks Calioppe! I really liked your stories both this week and last week!

message 13: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments :D

message 14: by J. (new)

J. | 3 comments :D I WUVED YOW STOWY CHINDNY IT WATH AMATHAWTHING :)
and how do i vote for a book?

message 15: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune So you don't want me to put it up,Calioppe? Thats fine, I was just making sure. Is it alright that I put your name up there at least, just to keep track of the winners, etc...?

message 16: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments Thanks J

message 17: by Olivia, summer (new)

Olivia (livibooks3) | 229 comments Mod
Hey those were both awesome!!!!!!!! But one question Chandani- How can you have identical twins if one is a girl and one is a boy? That's not identical. (Trust me, I'm a fraternal- not identical- triplet!) :)

message 18: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Arthur | 554 comments Mod
My brother and sister were twins. They looked a like.

message 19: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

I haven't read Chandani's story yet. That was just an out burst.

message 20: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune LOL hmm... I have cousins who are twins! XD

message 21: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments Oh really? Yikes, i should fix that.....

message 22: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

no really i always referred to them as identical, even though one was my brother and one was my sister

message 23: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments I just googles same gender identical twins, it turns out that there have only been 5 cases of same sex identical twins....weird.

message 24: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune very....

message 25: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments :o

message 26: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

this is my brother and sister.http://apps.facebook.com/files/shared...

message 27: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Ok, lol, maybe we should get back to stories here, and take the twin talk to the story discussion... : D

message 28: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments Good Idea!

message 29: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Words: aprox. 1100
Genre: Only Fiction
By: Arthur
Notes: I don’t think you should try this at home!! LOL

I’m Blind In My One Eye

I will not mind being measured to someone better.
I’m blind in one of my eyes. I will feel as if I was still a full person. Death will not create in me an imposable abstract I cannot follow. It’s the others once they recognize in me beyond themselves becoming blind themselves of the pain they cause trying to treat me as if they were my equal. In fact I’m trying stress classes and finding those hours impossible to relate without relieving myself without telling my story.
Equal are their normal. I was normal one day long ago. Not in anyway will I remember becoming emotionally uncalm because my story is sadly lame. Not anymore or in anyway I care to explain can I leave out the truth of how I am affected.
The looks of death is infecting my judgment. It harms the things I work around. I am the one trying to forgive Tommy Mysable and for his jokes and his impossible sense of humor. I am without...without him today, and I just learned he will never be here again to make me the butt of his humor. The butt of a satiety we both shared you may now understand existed once called upon, the squatty fatty of our nature.
Looking into it now will be harmless as mice. We are knave creatures and I don’t mean to become a mean creature.
Remember, I don’t mind measuring myself to another. Less of all to Tommy, if he were still with us. Society fills me with power and I refrain from using my anger to restore Tommy’s life to me. He’s buried and death hangs over his funeral grave stones. His other family relatives and his date of death hang synchronizing infinitely.

I spend most of my afternoon hanging out with Tommy. We walk across the street towards the corner where there is a shop store. We buy cokes and hang out in the alley. We have been doing this for years during the hot summer. Sometimes my little sister had to get out of the house also. I’m not very creative so I just made her tag along.
One day we stopped and found a book along the side of the street. Triennia my little sister went over to pick up the book. Tommy snatched it from her telling her to beware street bugs and rodent bites. I was laughing so hard the gas from our cokes earlier was hitting me in my chest.
The book wasn’t that great anyway, so Triennia ignored the comments, but hovered over us as Tommy flipped through the pages.
The weirdest stories I’d seen. Not at all like the books I’d seen in the school library. This was a book about knights and had pictures that looked etched or hand drawn then printed in small size to illustrate in the story sometimes. Tommy shouted Whew-hoot!
We found it hot in the sun standing there with our newly acquired book. We found a bench near a tree and we sat discussing the stories and all about fables.
Triennia surprises me sometimes with her knowledge on subjects she had learned in her grade six class. Now she was sure the book was unimportant, but she chummed in with heroic yahoos when Tommy got to the victorious ends in poems.
Tommy took the book to our door and gave it back to Triennia for her to take. I took it from her before we got in and stuck it under my shirt. I didn’t want mom to take a look at it. She may not approve. I don’t know why, but she may want to throw it back out again.
Before going to bed Triennia asked me some more about those knights, and if they were really like in the book.
I supposed they did live in a realm with armor and sometimes dragons and I also didn’t want to crush her new imaginary friends. Not as long as we had this book anyway.
The next time Tommy and I went out Triennia wanted to go along to be with us.
I knew it was because we’d read more of the chivalry. But I really thought it wouldn’t hurt her, not until she began to out grow it.
I felt I lost most of the enthusiasm myself.
I was surprised by Tommy Mysable. He’s really one of a kind. But this one day we went too far, we really had, I was so stupid, and I realize I knew nothing about science.
Triennia had to hold the book, but we were acting out a scene from a poem, “Lanky”. Tommy was staring out into the day space with one eye closed. I had to keep the other one metaphorically speaking open, by heading the opposite direction and stare directly at the sun with one eye. Little did I realize that once I stopped that I wouldn’t see for hours with the eye I looked at the sun with.
Tommy and his bright ideas. I never thought about saying no way man. I suppose since Tommy Mysable read the book for us that I believed in him. “Lanky” was about a lost hidden treasure that was protected by a dozen ghosts that once were knights, and the only way to see the knights in the flesh was to draw a map and bring it to them. So it was a sky map and one of us had to decide which direction the map would start.
All in all. My sight began slowly to return the next day. But I had a hidden welt inside my eye that looked like a glob of glue. And every time I opened my sore eye, a beam seemed to emit from it. I doubted it was magic. I decided I was going blind. I never told Tommy Mysable his idea never worked. We never drew the map. And years later the soreness in my eye and the I beam got worse. I’ll never try solving a ghost story in an universal way again. And I’m alone now looking at a beam roaming in my one eye without Tommy.

“Lanky the snake knight stood on a cave shoulder
And shouted out a rhyme,
‘Once you pass into this here cave you will descend
Into an infernal not any different than Hades

But if you draw me a map
You can find my bones and bring up a treasure.’”
-A Death Poem

_H_ _ND.

message 30: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments Wow, that was soo good!

message 31: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

o teh

message 32: by Clare D' Lune (last edited Nov 26, 2008 05:45PM) (new)

Clare D' Lune wow! excellent as always!

message 33: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments It was very poetic.

message 34: by Liv (new)

Liv (olive18) | 15 comments They kept his weakness a secret from the rest of the family, the children didnt know- the cousins didnt know. Only the adults, all but one, knew about it.

The children didnt know where he went when he left for Rehab. They didnt know when he would be back and they didnt know why he left.

Every one missed him, the adults were worried, didnt know when and if he would be back.

He was the strongest of the family in one way, and the weakest in another, but he was loved. Loved more than he knew, more than thought possible.

When he came back, the adults where relieved, thinking it was over. Thinking that the fight was over, that they could finally forget his weakness'.

But then the phone call came, he was in the hospital. He had stopped breathing, the oldest daughter found him. She was scared, sad and frightened.

His family was at the hospital, his mom was on the way and his sisters were at home, waiting to hear what would happen.

The first phone call was to the mom, she fell to the floor as she took in the fact that the next time she would see her son he would not be breathing, his heart would not be beating.

They missed him more than they thought they could, the cried for days. His youngest children didnt know where he was.

And almost 8 years later, its still hard to listen to Billy Joel. Its still hard to talk about him, to smell Ralph Lauren cologne. Its hard to visit his grave and remember him.

They still love him, and will always love him. His death was hard on this family and will always be hard- but they know they will see him again.

YES I AM FINE WITH YOU POSTING MY STORY!V

Thanks for reading

message 35: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments AWESOME

message 36: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune hey Livi,
Cool story, but I'd really perfer it if you kept the stories to the limit. This was only 200 some words, and the low limit is 500... I'll let it stay, but just for the future or w/e...

kat

message 37: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Ok well I think I'll post the poll now... No more entries please...

message 38: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments OKEYDOKEY!

message 39: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune wow you're fast! You voted before even I could, and I MADE the poll... lol XD

message 40: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments Lol!

message 41: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Billy Joel Glass Houses rocks!

message 42: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments YEAH!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

WAIT! no ... oh nevermind *grumbles* i wrote story for "death" is there still time for more entries?

message 44: by Olivia, summer (new)

Olivia (livibooks3) | 229 comments Mod
Well, if you have the next word in it at all, you can submit it for next week, right?

message 45: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune yes, you can submit a story as long as you have the next topic word in it.
Adrienne, I'm sorry, you missed the contest. I don't care if you post the story here, but the contest is over, so it wont go anywhere, and people probably wont read it as much they would if it was on the current week. Why don't you try fitting the next topic word in there somewhere, and post it on the contest this week?

message 46: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Chandani wins! Good story, Chandani!

message 47: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments YAY!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!

message 48: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments yay thanks so much!!