The Sword and Laser discussion

What is the coolest library you've ever read in?

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 64 comments =) That is a nice library! How did you manage to go there?

1) Library of Congress: Washington, DC

Amazing!

Inside LOC
Night Shot LOC

2) Main Library in downtown Seattle, WA

Huge & amazing!

Seattle Library 1 (Lower Floor)
Seattle Library 2 (Lower Floor)
Seattle Library 3 (10th floor)

message 2: by David (new)

David Richards (dgr2) | 30 comments My local Library in December.

I think the heating was faulty...

message 3: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1539 comments David wrote: "My local Library in December.

I think the heating was faulty..."

Funny.
But not a single mention of Library of Trantor.
I am disappointed.
R. Daneel Olivaw

message 4: by David (new)

David Richards (dgr2) | 30 comments I think that slipped my mind, if you know what I mean!

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (masupert) | 207 comments University of Illinois.

Can't find an interior pick though to share.
http://uihistoriesproject.chass.illin...

message 6: by Adrienne (last edited Jan 23, 2012 09:48PM) (new)

Adrienne (addiebelle) | 226 comments Suzzallo:

description

ETA: University of Washington

message 7: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 64 comments Oo! That is awesome.

message 8: by Dav (new)

Dav | 2 comments I like the Mechanic's Institute, a private library in downtown San Francisco with an interesting pre-1906 Earthquake history and the oldest continually operating chess club in America.

But also there is my neighborhood library on Potrero Hill with this view from the reading chairs:

message 9: by Kate (last edited Jan 24, 2012 06:40AM) (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Most library's in Dublin are pretty ugly. The one I frequented as a teenager was in a shopping centre.

My university library was also exceptionally ugly, however it did have this very nice view over the artificial lake.
[image error]
Okay, not quite as lovely as that picture implies (for over thing it was nearly always raining), but lovely enough and quite a pleasant distraction from Being and Time or whatever.

message 10: by Adrian (last edited Jan 24, 2012 05:05PM) (new)

Adrian Pienaru (adi_pie) | 124 comments In chronological order:
The Carol I University Foundation (unfortunately you aren't allowed to take photos inside).
Outside Shot
Front Close-up

The Old National Library (again, no photos inside)
The New National Library - should open this spring
Outside Shot
Inside Shot

The University of Medicine and Pharmacy library has two areas:
One on the first floor, for staff and students from the third year onwards
Another one on the second floor, for first and second year students
All of the above are in Bucharest, Romania.

Finally, the Palace of Culture in Iasi, I'm cheating a bit here since I don't have an interior shot, only a front view, but the County Library is in the left side of the palace, the rest is taken up by museums.
[image error]

message 11: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Pienaru (adi_pie) | 124 comments Good Gawd! The palace of culture in Iasi makes Downton Abbey look modest! Thanks for the pics!

Iasi had the good fortune of not getting architecturally slaughtered by the communists.

Also, here's a blogpost with some superb examples, none of which I've had the privilege of reading in unfortunately.

message 12: by Pickle (last edited Jan 24, 2012 09:06AM) (new)

Pickle | 192 comments mine is nothing as spectacular as previous posts but it is the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, Scotland.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images...

message 13: by aldenoneil (last edited Jan 24, 2012 10:11AM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Here's mine: Boo yah.

The fanciest for me is probably Doheny at USC, which is not all that fancy , and I don't think I actually ever read anything in there. Going down into the book stacks was like stepping into someone's forgotten closet. You never quite felt like you were supposed to be there and I only ever saw one or two other living people. To get to the stacks required a suspicious look from the front desk and a ride down a rickety box that could only generously be called an elevator.

I'm new (for the second time) to Seattle - looking forward to checking out the half-finished piece of steel origami that is our downtown library.

message 14: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 64 comments Aldenoneil, Seattle library is pretty cool. We only spent about an hour there while I was visiting the city. There's lots of fun architecture in Seattle. You can also find Bruce & Brandan Lee's graves. =P

All the libraries look pretty great to me! =)

message 15: by Kevin (last edited Jan 24, 2012 02:31PM) (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments The Salt lake city library is a good one.

SLC overhead

SLC outside

SLC inside

The building is gorgeous, has many couches and fireplaces and a huge children s area in the basement complete with playground like story areas. The rooftop has gardens and an amazing view. The only bad thing... No coffee shop.

message 16: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 192 comments Kid wrote: "Pickle wrote: "mine is nothing as spectacular as previous posts but it is the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, Scotland.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images..."

Tha..."

Pickle wrote: "mine is nothing as spectacular as previous posts but it is the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, Scotland.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images..."

second best city in the UK :)

message 17: by Pickle (last edited Jan 24, 2012 03:58PM) (new)

Pickle | 192 comments Kevin wrote: "The Salt lake city library is a good one.

The building is gorgeous, has many couches and fireplaces and a huge children s area in the basement complete with playground like story areas. T..."

That looks amazing. I doubt we have a building that big in Scotland!

message 18: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Pienaru (adi_pie) | 124 comments Kevin wrote: "The Salt lake city library is a good one.

That building looks fantastic, too bad about the coffee shop though.

message 19: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1969 comments Adrienne wrote: "Suzzallo:

ETA: University of Washington"

Amazing! That looks like the sort of library where you can read up on your 'Defence Against the Dark Arts' skills :)

message 20: by Joseph (new)

Joseph I'm cheating as I haven't actually read in this library, as its not even open yet! July 2012 is its opening date.

Its called 'The Hive' in Worcester, England, UK. And its a massive, yellow, Lego-spaceship basically.

http://www.kmebrilliance.co.uk/media/...

message 21: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 64 comments Lego-spaceship! =) Good description.

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Pickle wrote: "Kevin wrote: "The Salt lake city library is a good one.

The building is gorgeous, has many couches and fireplaces and a huge children s area in the basement complete with playground like story ar..."

But you have old buildings to us 200 years is really old!

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Kid wrote: "Kevin wrote: "The Salt lake city library is a good one.

It breath-taking. Beautiful.

BUT NO COFFEE SHOP!?? WTF!!!

ah. forgot. mormons. no caffiene.

The building is gorgeous, has many couc..."

Funny thing about SLC, it has some of the best bars and micro brew beer I have ever tasted.

message 24: by William (new)

William Chinda (willchinda) | 15 comments I've never been to the Vancouver library before, but I've always been intrigued by it (if only for the fact it was featured prominently in BSG):

message 25: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Curtis (Kingtriton92) | 62 comments The Morrison Library at UC Berkley would have to be at the top of my list. This is a strictly leisure only library and they will kick you out if your caught studying. It is decorated like something you would expect to see in the early 1900's with big leather chairs, gilded globes, mounted trophies from long forgotten African safaris and an assortment of Victorian era decor. This place is quiet, cozy and if you could enjoy a glass of scotch and a pipe while getting lost in a good book, it would be perfect.
I did also visit a really cool and very old book store in Wales with an amazing reading room in the back... does that count?

message 26: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 64 comments Ryan, post a link for the Morrison! Sounds like a fun place.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments Ryan wrote: "The Morrison Library at UC Berkley would have to be at the top of my list. This is a strictly leisure only library and they will kick you out if your caught studying. It is decorated like somethi..."

And you can check out art. As in take it home on loan and hang it up.

message 29: by Mark (last edited Jan 25, 2012 09:36PM) (new)

Mark (Mndrew) | 31 comments Iowa State University student union reading lounge, circa 1982. Think English gentleman's club, leather Queen Anne chairs, Hi-fi stereo's with a large album selection, each station with quality headphones to maintain the ambiance.
http://www.mu.iastate.edu/index.cfm?n...

message 30: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (addiebelle) | 226 comments AndrewP wrote: "Amazing! That looks like the sort of library where you can read up on your 'Defence Against the Dark Arts' skills :)"

The dueling room is just around the corner.

message 31: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 64 comments Ryan, woah! That ceiling! Ha! Cool place. I don't think people realize how much moldings have gone out of style as being "extra" trimmings in architecture & design.

message 32: by Vladimir (new)

Vladimir | 33 comments The New York public library is pretty cool. You can see great high res 360 degree panoramas of it here:
http://www.samrohn.com/360-panorama/n...

message 33: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Searching for the Los Angeles Public Library, with its massive escalators, I found this: http://modernamazing.blogspot.com/200...

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2180 comments A friend of mine gets to WORK at that Peabody library every day, I'm so jealous.

Although I work in a pretty library, this is the front, and the back overlooks the lake and the rose garden:

A memorable library to me was the Glendale Mall branch of the Indianapolis Public Library. That sounds crazy, but they had this quiet room, adults only. This was back when I had to take the bus to work, and if I left an hour early, I could get off early at the mall and spend time in the library quiet room reading. There were waterfalls and rock features, and it was amazingly pleasant.

message 35: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 64 comments aldenoneil wrote: "Searching for the Los Angeles Public Library, with its massive escalators, I found this: http://modernamazing.blogspot.com/200..."

LOL! Wow! Now I kinda want to go on a Library Trip...

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2180 comments Soo wrote: "aldenoneil wrote: "Searching for the Los Angeles Public Library, with its massive escalators, I found this: http://modernamazing.blogspot.com/200..."

LO..."

I have a wish list of libraries to see! I'm a dork extraordinaire!

message 37: by Soo (new)

Soo (Silverlyn) | 64 comments =) Me too! =)

message 38: by Seth (last edited Jan 27, 2012 12:10PM) (new)

Seth Buchsbaum | 31 comments AndrewP wrote: "Adrienne wrote: "Suzzallo:

ETA: University of Washington"

Amazing! That looks like the sort of library where you can read up on your 'Defence Against the Dark Arts' skills :)"

University of Michigan's Law Library is similar:

inside

outside

Great place to read if you like complete, utter silence no matter how many people are there.

message 39: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments

message 40: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments William wrote: "I've never been to the Vancouver library before, but I've always been intrigued by it (if only for the fact it was featured prominently in BSG):

"

Yeah, the VPL is rather nice. They have(or had) a pizza place in the courtyard. Dangerous combination, greasy fingers and books.

message 41: by Walter (new)

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments I've visited two memorable libraries. One is The Library of Congress (which is just stunning, but you have to have a permit to use it I think). At the complete oposite end of the spectrum is the Tipton Public Library in Iowa. It's just a really cool old building in a town with a population of about 3000. http://www.tipton.lib.ia.us/

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Being and Time (other topics)