Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

True Blood > Episode 12: You'll Be the Death of Me *Season Finale*

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Sookie finds a connection to the murders in Bon Temps. Jason finds a new goal in life. Bill tempts fate, continuing to find a way to rescue Sookie from harm. Sam is troubled by a familiar face from his past.

message 2: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) So I thought it was a pretty good finale. I hate the fact they are having Jason join the Fellowship of the Sun because that is so un-Jason.

I hate that they have expanded on the Maenad but I can see this getting interesting in the long run. AND we got to meet Eggs, who is a super hottie if you ask me =)

I think I've grown a totally new respect for Tv Bill because he risked burning up to rescue Sookie. I love that it was Sam that got to her first. I felt her sadness when she thought Bill was dead. He looked like Freddy Krueger to me. LOL.

I loved how Arlene was crying at the end and was like "I have the WORST taste in men!" because so do I. I just never got with a murderer (or so I thought).

RIP Lafayette. We knew it was coming. Loved his toes though. LOL. Andy Bellefleur is being a complete douche just like in the books!

I about died when Eric brought Bill Jessica and Pam was like "that one is annoying" LOL. I loved her cotton blend Jackie O outfit and purse. She rocks. I love her and Eric so much.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
Who killed Lafayette!!!!???? Jessica? My partner thinks it was Bill!!

I'm enjoying the series but I have to say I'm really disappointed with the disconnect from the books. I need to seperate the two.

I don't remember Eggs Benedict from the books. I need to reread them! Fine by me!

message 4: by CBReader (new)

CBReader | 9 comments Nicole, I think the show wanted people to think it was Bill what killed Lafayette, but there is just no way. Bill would never go to Merlotte's to find someone to fed on. He would say away from places with people he knows.

I think the maenad killed Lafayette. She made that comment to Tara about everything in her past being what wasn't working for her. For some reason, I don't know what, the maenad wants Tara all to herself. That is my predication anyway.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 24 comments I think the maenad is the culprit as well. Yeah, Bill is now officially a sweetheart in my book (HBO book anyway, I'm still a print Eric junkie). Oh Lafayette, he was so beautiful to behold and fun, fun. Oh well. How many times do you think they'll replay the series before the new season is ready?

message 6: by CBReader (new)

CBReader | 9 comments I completely feel in love with Bill in that episode. Book Bill would never have given up his life like that to save her. I have been sold on everything Bill on the show. I love Stephen. Everything.

And when Bill kissed her bruised face. Very sweet and tender.

message 7: by Jessica (last edited Nov 24, 2008 10:41AM) (new)

Jessica | 193 comments Very good finale. I did find myself having to divide my thoughts into "Book" and "Series" very strictly. Things like "Book Bill wouldn't have done this..." "The Maenid wouldn't have done that...."

But it definately left you wanting for more (which is going to be waaaaay too long of a wait!)

They've got so many of the characters so perfectly pegged! Loved douchecanoe Andy! haha And they've gotten Terry down sooo great. They changed his age, but the actor playing him just nailed the part!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments OK I must agree TV Bill rocks i think I shed a tear or two when he was risking his life for Sookie. I really can't see how they'll make TV Bill into douchey book Bill after that. I also think that Sm has already been connecting with the maenad, hence the running through the woods naked( yes I know it could be he's a shifter) and the fact that she seems to be using Tara to get back at him. I think she's mad he's sexing Tara now and not her. I remember the name Eggs but not the character in the books. i need a refresher as well. Loved seeing Eric and hearing he and Pam speak another language. That was so sexy.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments OOOooooh is THAT what the naked Sam was about! DOH! I can't believe I didn't make that connection. I was certain their tryst happened later in the series so didn't make the connection. Maybe its not such a deviation as I thought.

message 10: by Katy-Del (last edited Nov 24, 2008 05:45PM) (new)

Katy-Del Eggs was Tara's fiance in the second book.

Damnit! I was watching off of my parent's DVR. Thier house was burglerized last week and we lost episode 11 and missed 12 last night.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Jessica- I'm only making a guess as to Sam and the maenad. I don't now for sure.
Katy-Del- aha yes I remember that now, thank you.

message 12: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (jac8604) Am I the only one who thinks TV Bill is even more cheesy than Book Bill? That accent and the way that he says Sookie's name are grating! I really hope that the next season features Eric a lot more.

message 13: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) I still laugh at the scene where Bill comes racing into Sookie's room where she's sleeping and just says "Sookie...Sookie...Sookie...Sookie...Sookie!" over and over again. I just don't care for Bill. Who can like that morose sap when Eric is standing right there?

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments I HATE the way Bill says Sookie. I thought it must be a southern thing, because he's not theonly one who does it (just the only one who says it that way every time). When I read the books, in my head it was SUE key, not SOOK (like book) ee. Though, really both make sense, its just annoying to me lol

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Wright (rhwright16) Must be a southern thing because I always imagined her name was SOOK ee not SUE key. I think the later sounds strange, like someone poking fun at her name.

message 16: by April (new)

April (aprilc) | 9 comments Just finished watching this finale and I enjoyed it! I thought that even with all the deviation from the books - Jason embracing the Fellowship of the Sun, the Maenad's early entrance onto the scene and her relationship with Tara, Bill's vampire "child," etc. - this episode seemed to bring everything to a nice neat conclusion, and set it up for season 2 (book 2) quite nicely.

**BOOK SPOILER to follow** In book 2, Lafayette does die and is found in Andy's car. In book 2, the Fellowship of the Sun is central. In book 2, Tara is with Eggs. And in book 2, the Maenad is certainly a focus...

Obviously the powers that be over at HBO couldn't do an exact translation of the books to TV for whatever reason that they might have - marketing, filming, viewer interest. But I feel good about how they finished the season.

For those of you entrenched in the Bill v. Sam (v. Eric) debate... I think that Sookie has every reason to be confused... Wow! If I had to choose between those three, I would have a hard time too!! She is an emotionally scarred and mentally conflicted character, who'd never been in a relationship at all until Bill, and suddenly she has all this attention from Sam too! And then there's Eric waiting in the wings! Sookie's love life will continue to be rocky and I am sure she will continue to make mistakes (like kissing Sam in a vulnerable moment when Bill has only been gone 2-3 days!)... But what fun is a show (or a book) when everything is perfect and goes according to plan?

I'm looking forward to summer 2009 when Season 2 starts... Until then...

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie I will miss Renee's accent! His fake accent that is. The dialect that Bill uses to say Sookie's name could be like a really old civil war dialect? Just guessing there.

I really thought the season finale was good. I think the show also made it seem like Arlene and Sookie will be closer.

Spoiler:

Isn't Arlene a witch later on in the books?

message 18: by Jacqueline (last edited Nov 28, 2008 02:13AM) (new)

Jacqueline (jac8604) BOOK SPOILER:

In book 6 Arlene actually joins the anti-vampire group, The Fellowship of the Sun.

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie Spoilers from books:

Thanks Jacqueline! I couldn't remember!

@Jael's comment about Sam and the Maenad I don't know if they have a sexual relationship yet. Sam was collecting all that money in the bag to give to her right?

message 20: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) I thought Sam was fleeing town because he's scared as hell of the maenad. I think in the TV show they have an older relationship than the books painted.

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie Spoilers:

Don't bar tenders have to pay the maenad for being allowed to run a bar in their territory? Isn't that why in the books she is giving Eric a message because he hadn't paid her in a while? I could be wrong it's been a while since I've read the books.

message 22: by Jacqueline (last edited Nov 28, 2008 02:29PM) (new)

Jacqueline (jac8604) Spoiler:

Yeah, she expects a tribute payment from local supes that run bars. I don't think she only takes cash though. In the book, Sam has a sexual relationship with her and that satisfies the tribute demand. She also takes sacrifices.

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments yeah I thought that in the show sam was collecting the money so that he could pay her a tribute.

what does everyone think about lafayette. Do you think the show is going to follow the books story arc about who kills him and why? I have a feeling that they are going to change it

message 24: by CBReader (new)

CBReader | 9 comments I feel that the senator had something to do with Lafayette's death. Just makes sense. Otherwise, they wouldn't have incorporated the scene with Lafayette showing up and shaking his hand in public. The senator could very possibly have been taking part in the orgy parties.....so that would keep with the second book. So, no, I don't think it will be exactly the same.

I think it is funny that a lot of my friends who haven't read the books were positive that Bill killed Lafayette. I was like, "No way. They just want you to think that."

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments No way did Bill kill Lafayette. I agree that its unlikely to be exactly the same as the book, but perhaps they'll find a way to a happy middle ground somehow.

message 26: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) I cannot believe that was the season finale!! IT went by too fast!!

message 27: by Angie (new)

Angie For some reason whenever someone puts a new comment on here this thread does not go to the top of my list. Is this happening to anyone else?

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments Wait, why would people think Bill killed Lafayette? all you saw was something moving fast and Lafayette jumping out of the way. Did I miss a part?

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments ppl think bill killed lafeyette b/c they did the same fast motion scene when he showed at Sookie and then he said he had fed.

message 30: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I think Sam was paying the Maenad tribute. And I think the book will make their relationship go further back than we thought. I bet she uses Tara to get to him in some way.

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments Oh okay, I guess that makes sense?

Ranata - I agree and think that the maenad will also use Tara to get to Sam

message 32: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Sucks that Tara has to be in the middle of it all. Boo!

message 33: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments haha, well she's lucky to have a story line at all because in the book she was pretty much nonexistent.

I'm so pissed about Lafayette, where's the comic relief going to come from now??

message 34: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jess wrote: "haha, well she's lucky to have a story line at all because in the book she was pretty much nonexistent.

I'm so pissed about Lafayette, where's the comic relief going to come from now??"

But that's why I like her on the show because she didn't get face time in the book and any face time she got was her being pitiful. LOL. I hope her and Sookie do the dance to Love is A Battlefied in Club Dead like in the book. LOL

message 35: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments lol, that would be an interesting dance to see... especially considering alycde's (sp?) reaction

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Jess IA Lafeyette will be missed. I think Jessica is sticing around to add the comic relief.I find her more annoying than comical but the reactions of those around her make it funny.

message 37: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 68 comments I just am really starting to wonder if Jason has a death wish! First he starts doing V, then he goes to a vamp bar looking for V, then he captures a vamp and now he joins the fellowship! And what happened to him realizing that vamps aren't all that bad? I thought that he said after getting to know Eddie he realized that, but yet now he joins a church that wants to kill all vamps and people that associate with vamps? I am just having a really hard time understanding his character! It seems like he changes him mind about what he wants and what he believes every other episode!

*Spoiler* Looking just at the Jason as they portray him on the show, how do you think he will handle it when he gets turned into a panther?

message 38: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jess wrote: "lol, that would be an interesting dance to see... especially considering alycde's (sp?) reaction"

Alcide was like "You're not looking for your BF that hard!". Like aww, don't be mad, Alcide. Yall just met and your crazy bitch Debbie ruined her wrap!

message 39: by Evelynn (new)

Evelynn Passino (evpassino) | 131 comments I just am really starting to wonder if Jason has a death wish!

Maybe...moreso he is just weak minded, basically the opposite of Sookie. When the FotS guy comes to his jail cell, at first he is like "no, I know a vamp, they aren't bad..." and 10 minutes later he's all "praise Jesus, kill the vampires."

**********************SPOILER***********************
I think he is going to love it. He is a whore for attention. I get the impression he is a bit jealous of Sookie's otherness, and now he gets to have his own.

I am curious to see how they portray it on the show. Since he is bitten (not born) and only half-changes, that has to he harder to portray than him just turning into a panther. I keep imagining clumps of cat fur glued to his skin...gross.

message 40: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments Jael wrote: "Jess IA Lafeyette will be missed. I think Jessica is sticing around to add the comic relief.I find her more annoying than comical but the reactions of those around her make it funny."

I think the funniest reaction is from Eric. He was so amusing when he dropped Jessica off with Bill and just said, "there are favors, and then there are favors" I was rolling on the floor. I can't wait to see more of Eric. At first I didn't like him in the show, but the more he was in it, the more I began to like him.

message 41: by April (new)

April (aprilc) | 9 comments Jess, that was one of my favorite scenes EVER, when Eric dropped off Jessica with Bill! It tickled me to see Eric's dry humor!!

message 42: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments April, I absolutely loved that scene. Another of my favorites is when Bill first brought Jessica into Eric's office. And Eric just kept needling Bill about his new vampire. Too funny.

message 43: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 68 comments Surprised and Mad! That will be an interesting story line to see how it develops.

message 44: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. Well I watched the last episode of True Blood last night and loved it, we don't get season 2 until November over here (Boo Hoo).

I thought the scene with Bill trying to save Sookie in the sun light was so sweet, it showed how much TV Bill loves her.

Eggs and Tara only played a small part in the end of book 2 with going to the orgy party together, looks like Eggs is going to play a bigger part in the show next season.

I think Sam was running through the woods naked because he has to every full moon with being a shape shifter, it did say that he got Terry in to do his shift at the bar when this happens each full moon.

It will be interesting to see who has murdered Lafayette in the series but as Carrie Beth said earlier I'm sure it has something to do with the Senator, he did threaten him while they were shaking hands, but on the other hand when he jumped up onto the bins he wasn't getting away from something human, this one is a real mystery.

I thought it was a bit strange Jason joining the Fellowship, he seemed to really like the vampire that they held captive, well I suppose it will make the story line more exciting for the show with his own sister dating a vampire and all.

And yes Sam was not to pleased at all to see the Maenad, she defiantly has something over him, he was surprised to see her though and looked like he was not expecting to see her so how would taking the money out of the safe be for her?