Vampire Book Club discussion

Street Magic (Black London, #1)
This topic is about Street Magic
Group Read > Group Read: STREET MAGIC (Spoilers!)

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chelsea (VampireBookClub) | 76 comments Mod
This is the main discussion thread for Street Magic. That means spoilers lie ahead. You may post whenever, but we'll be on 8 p.m. CST on Tuesday, Jan. 31, to reply and have a REAL discussion. Hope you'll join us!

A few topics to get us going:

1. Let's talk Pete. What did you think of her progression? Did you think the big bad would be the one she thought stole Jack from her 12 years before?

2. Jack says some pretty hateful things to Pete, but it definitely fits a junkie going cold turkey. How did you handle his fiending for drugs? Would you have been willing to lock him in your apartment with you?

3. I loved the way Caitlin introduced The Black, particularly the entry to the pub. What did and didn't you like about the way The Black/magic was handled in STREET MAGIC?

4. There's a nice tension between Pete and Jack, but no romance action. Do you want to see them move in that direction?

5. Really, was I the only one it took a bit to get used to the Brit slang or should I just shut my gob?

Megan Frampton To jump in (and I've never done a group read in this fashion before, so smack me (the old-fashioned smack, not Jack's smack) if I do something wrong).

I do not want to see Pete and Jack get romantic--I like the way it is NOT that way, whereas most books telegraph the romance.

And yes, the slang is way overdone, imo, especially since it sounds like London slang, not Manchester. Not that I'm an expert, but I hear cockney in my head, not the low roll of Manchester.

You're not doing anything wrong, Megan. We used to do the chats on Twitter, but had several complaints about a) spoilers and b) missing the chat time. So, we're testing out the new format. It's an experiment...

I'm absolutely with you. I enjoyed that Pete and Jack's interaction was cheeky, but not romantic. I think that's especially nice considering her childhood crush on him. Any relationship right after discovering he didn't die would cheapen Pete's character.

Delores (dkansas) | 1 comments Not being familiar with UK slang, I was puzzled quite a bit. That being said I still enjoyed the book and the antagonism between Pete and Jack added an additional layer to their relationship which feels like romantic undercurrents. I would like to see that story line developed.

message 5: by Neila (new)

Neila | 1 comments It took me some time to get used to the slang, but I found that I liked it. It helped me hear the characters voices in an English accent (I can't tell the speech in one part of England from another, I'm afraid) and it made it seem very realistic to me.

I like the dynamic between Pete and Jack quite a bit. He hints a couple of times, especially nearer the end of the book, that he likes her, but it's never clear exactly how he feels (lust vs. love vs. ambivalence), and she obviously doesn't consider having a romantic relationship with him.

Mind you, I would like it if it eventually progressed to that stage, but I wouldn't want it to be rushed, which brings me to another thing I liked about their relationship. In no way was it forced or rushed like it often seems to be in this genre and especially in the paranormal romance types. In everything about this book there was a sense of realism, like this could be going on in my backyard and I'd just never noticed. That more than anything is what has drawn me into this series (just bought books 2 and 3 haha!)

As for the way the author depicts the Black, I find it very mysterious and intriguing. She intentionally doesn't tell us much about it, leaving us to wonder and try to draw our own conclusions. It certainly piqued my interest, at any rate. I can't wait to see what else we learn about this shadowy dimension or plane or whatever it is.

Lillie (AliseOnLife) | 3 comments So, I've seen different books from this series in my library before, but never had the urge to pick them up. VBC gave me the chance to give them a chance, and I'm glad I did!

I am a self-confessed British pop culture junkie; the slang never bothered me because I pretty much understood it all. Agree with Megan though, Jack never sounded like someone from Manchester in my head. I heard a Cockney accent all the way. But, Pete I could hear with a more northern accent.

I liked the fairly antagonistic relationship that Pete and Jack had. She came at him about his drug habit exactly as I wanted her to (no matter his own reasons) and I'm not sure a romantic relationship would have felt as real with the background of the plot anyway. If they do ever get between the sheets together, I wouldn't be disappointed, but I just can't see the two with "softer" feelings being true to their characters and the set-up from STREET MAGIC.

For me, Kittredge portrayed The Black just the way that I wanted. She revealed certain things through Jack's experience and their encounters while solving the case. But, she still left much up to the imagination of the reader, and really piqued my interest about what Pete and Jack might come across in later books. I want to read more of the Black London series, to see what else she might throw at the two.

Lillie wrote: "
I liked the fairly antagonistic relationship that Pete and Jack had. She came at him about his drug habit exactly as I wanted her to (no matter his own reasons) and I'm not sure a romantic relationship would have felt as real with the background of the plot anyway. If they do ever get between the sheets together, I wouldn't be disappointed, but I just can't see the two with "softer" feelings being true to their characters and the set-up from STREET MAGIC.

THIS exactly. I like the build-up. I have a feeling Pete and Jack will end up in a sexual situation at some point, but nothing was ever forced. Pete handles him the right way, and eventually I could see that becoming something noteworthy.

Lillie (AliseOnLife) | 3 comments I noticed in one of the other topics, someone asked about the darkness of the book compared to the Downside books. I've never read any of them, though I know they have a big fan base. Anyone read Seanan McGuire's October Daye series? I felt like STREET MAGIC was the start of a good urban fantasy series on par with that or Jess Haines' Others series.