What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > childrens book about a witch named Gwendolyn

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by TJ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

TJ Richter | 4 comments I remember a book, perhaps there where two or more, with Gwendolyn. She grew toadstools under her bed. I read them when I was in elementary school about 30 +/- years agao. Any ideas?

message 2: by Crystal (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Crystal (crystalline) | 6 comments Ahhh...the only thing that comes to mind is Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones. It was published in 1977 and one the main characters was a girl witch called Gwendolyn. I'd classify it more as a young adult book, but it was/still is an excellent read.

message 3: by TJ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

TJ Richter | 4 comments Looks like a great book, but this was for a younger audience. More like K-4. There were simple illustrations; black and white, I think. She had a cat and lived with distant relatives. This is driving me crazy!

message 4: by Janet (new)

Janet | 80 comments It sounds like one of the "Dorrie" books by Patricia Coombs. The age level and illustrations fit your descriptions, but I don't remember anyone named Gwendolyn. Dorrie was a little girl witch, had a cute cat, and lived with older witches, who often gave her a hard time. They are great books,published in the 70's.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (kristathekrazykataloguer) | 104 comments I've looked and looked and can't find anything with a witch named Gwendolyn. However, I agree with Janet that the Dorrie books fit. I love them and own a bunch of them. She wrote 20 in all, as well as several other picture books.

message 6: by Tomi (new)

Tomi | 2 comments There is a whole set of books with a witch named Gwendolyn. They are written by Willow Dancer. I am not sure if these are the ones, but they look like they are geared for a younger audience. Just search her name and they will show up.

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 7 comments Do you mean The Witch Next Door by Norman Bridwell? It was originally published mid 1960's. There was more than one. Also, although it looks like more recent editions have been colorized, the version I had as a child was black and white and green. One of my favorites.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36940 comments Mod
TJ - this is in Possibly Solved - which book did you think was yours, and do you have confirmation now?