Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Bitten--December Group Read--SPOILER FREE

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) No spoilers in this topic, please.

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Anyone else reading this? I read it a couple of years ago, but might read it again to refresh my memory.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments I will be picking up a copy today!

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments I've read it and reread it many times. I'm just waiting for someone else to get a discussion going cuz I have no idea how to start one. :-)

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments Got my copy, will start reading as soon as I finish Blood Noir. It looked like the book has recently gotten a re-release. B & N had a lot of copies on the shelf!

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (areadinglady) I just started it the other day. So far I think it's pretty fun, but I'm only about 15 pages in. :)

message 7: by Kait (new)

Kait (katiebear) I read this one years ago, and I think that Bitten and Stolen remain my favorite in the series. There's something about Elena's character that I related to the most.

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (areadinglady) Yes, I like Elena a lot as well. There have been some protagonists that are just boring as hell or have no substance, but I think she's pretty interesting. I will probably take a look at the rest of the series as well. I was sort of surprised that I like it as much as I do since I generally prefer vampires to werewolves.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book now and am enjoying it. I like that it gives you a lot of really interesting characters.

message 10: by Kait (new)

Kait (katiebear) Sidhe1 - what I like about the series is that even if you don't really love the current character, the next book might be about someone different, so the series stays fresh. It's not just about one character who goes on the same cookie-cutter adventure.

message 11: by B (new)

B | 17 comments Kait -- you're so right with that! I hadn't thought about it, but that's a problem for me with some other series -- the same sort of adventure, one after the other, with the same sort of reactions and conversations.

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I've been hesitant to write in on this book because I read it a couple of years ago and have read the rest of the series as well. I'm concerned that I may give away a future spoiler on accident! :(

Elena is one of my favorite characters by Kelley Armstrong... she is such a strong woman - err, werewolf - without being a bitch like so many "strong" female characters out there.

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (areadinglady) Kait, I agree! I have so many series, but it takes me forever to read some of them because I get tired of the same old characters all the time. When it changes up a bit, it really helps keep my attention. This is the first time I've read anything by Kelley Armstrong, but I've been looking at the rest of this series. It does seem to have enough variety to be a very attention-holding series!

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 20 comments I got it years ago when first came out in hardcover. Loved it then.

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments Are all of these books about a different main character? Or is it some variation in main character?

I'd be interested to see more of Elena so Im sureious if she makes appearances in other books.

message 16: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 20 comments Yes, she is in other books, as a main character.
From her website: http://kelleyarmstong.com (she has free online stories up there too):
Bitten (narrator: Elena)
Stolen (narrator: Elena)
Dime Store Magic (narrator: Paige)
Industrial Magic (narrator: Paige)
Haunted (narrator: Eve)
Chaotic (novella in "Dates from Hell", narrator: Hope)
Broken (narrator: Elena)
No Humans Involved (narrator: Jaime)
Twilight (story in "Many Bloody Returns", narrator: Cassandra)
Stalked (story in "My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon", narrator: Clay)
Personal Demon (coming Apr 08, narrators: Hope & Lucas)

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Pamela, there are two more...

Living with the Dead - narrated by Hope, Robyn, and Finn - both new characters(came out a month ago or so)
Frostbitten - narrated by Elena (coming out next year)

message 18: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments There's also going to be Men of the Otherworld (Women of the Otherworld 9.6) coming out in January, narrated by either Clayton or Jeremy.

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments Oh fantastic! Thanks for the info. I have a book to return to B & N this weeekend (bought it, then my mother-in-law gave me a copy of the same book) I guess I know what I'm exchanging it for!

message 20: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiebowen) I'm still hoping to finish this by the end of the month. I've never been big on werewolf stories and while this one seems more interesting than others I've tried, I'm still having a hard time getting into it.

Question, do you need to read these in order or can you pick and choose which of the series to read? I know they follow different characters but I'm not sure how intertwined they are in plot.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Angie wrote: "I'm still hoping to finish this by the end of the month. I've never been big on werewolf stories and while this one seems more interesting than others I've tried, I'm still having a hard time getti..."

From what i heard you can skip in the series. i really love the wolves story so I have only read the boos dealing with them and didn't feel lost at all.

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiebowen) Thanks Jael! I made myself sit down and really start reading it. I'm 9 chapters in now and am loving it! I'm going to try to finish in the next day or two so that I can go discuss in the spoiler thread.