Seasonal Reads discussion

Christmas Fiction

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Becky Seifert (rainbowcottage) I hope I'm doing this right...

I'm always looking for Christmasy books to read... I'd love to hear about everyone's favorites. :)

I usually try to read several around Christmas (although I love reading them anytime of the year) I have a bunch of favorites...but I always try to read at least one of Grace Livingston Hill's Christmasy books each year. (Substitute Guest, Christmas Bride, Partners, Astra, etc...)

message 2: by Nicole (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

Nicole | 5 comments Mod
A great three book series that I received for christmas last year was "The Christmas Hope", "The Christmas Shoes", The Christmas Blessing" by Donna VanLiere. To find out more about them, they are in my "read" section. Hope you enjoy!

message 3: by Becky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Becky Seifert (rainbowcottage) Thanks for the suggestion...I haven't read any of those yet. :) I've seen two movies based on two of the books, and enjoyed them though. :)

message 4: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Alison "A Christmas Memory" and "One Christmas" by Truman Capote are classic short stories. They can usually be found together with "The Thanksgiving Visitor" at the library.

message 5: by Shelley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Shelley (sydwi) | 1 comments Connie Willis's book of short stories, Miracle And Other Christmas Stories, is my all time favorite Christmas read! There's something for everyone in there.

message 6: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 2 comments My basket of Christmas books to read is only half-full now. I read some new holiday romances and now am reading the general fiction. Read so far:

THE CHRISTMAS PEARL. Dorothea Benton Frank
THE RED SCARF. Richard Mason
THE LAST NOEL. Heather Graham
@HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS. Meredith Efken
ON STRIKE FOR CHRISTMAS. Sheila Roberts
HEARTS EVERGREEN. Robin Lee Hatcher/Kathryn Springer

AND the book everyone needs in their collection or a great gift…

CHRISTMAS STORIES. Everyman’s Pocket Classics. It is compiled of the Christmas scenes or short stories from great literature from Dickens to Capote to Munro.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane  (DianeDJ) Ok, this is a Christmas NON Fiction - and one of my favorites - The Cat Who Came for Christmas. by Cleveland Amory. If you are an animal lover, esp of the felines, don't miss it.

Crazy Uncle Ryan (CrazyUncleRyan) | 4 comments So, I just read The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum. Very fun book. I am also in the middle of reading The Autobiography of Santa Claus by Jeff Guinn which I am enjoying even more. So, those are my ideas.

message 9: by Jana (new)

Jana Heinzelmann (SecretBookshelf) | 1 comments Hi, I know it's early to start talking about Christmas but I am searching for guest reviewers for my December Special "Waiting for Christmas" that I am going to host on my blog in December. Anyone interested? Reviews can be about any Christmas related book or even a movie! Closing date for submitting reviews is the 26th of November! More infos about the Special on my blog: http://booksaroundtheworld.wordpress....

message 10: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 2 comments I can't believe my all-time favorite, "Winter Solstice" by Rosamund Pilcher, isn't already on this list! Although I'm not a fan of David Baldacci in general, I liked "The Christmas Train". "Christmas on Jane Street" by Billy Romp and the Mitford series by Jan Karon are also good for this time of year. And while it is not strictly a Christmas book, "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder makes you appreciate all the modern conveniences of a warm, cozy home in winter.

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1 comments Hi,

This is a great book to get into the spirit of the holidays!
A very good read on how we should count our daily blessings no matter what else is happening in our lives. Very relevant to our times.

Take care.
Melanie

An Angel at Christmas

message 12: by Denise (last edited Dec 08, 2011 09:18PM) (new)

Denise (Redreader) | 2 comments Christmas Jars jason Wright!
I have actaully only read the 2nd book Christmas Jar Reuion...loved the ideas and hope to give a jar one day

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Christmas books, too! It's my favorite Holiday, and I like to be surrounded by it.

I have a Christmas novel series that I'm writing, which falls into the YA/Fantasy genre, though anyone can enjoy it. The first book is out now, and the next comes out this year. Please give it a try!

Book One: Clara Claus
Book 1.5: Sugar Plum Dreams

Thanks!

Alexandra~

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara I have read lots of Christmas books I love to read them arround Christmas but I will read them all year if I can find one I havent read allready. Here are some I have read and LOVED!!The Christmas Wedding The Christmas Note A Dog Named Christmas Christmas with Tucker i have alot more on my book shelf. The Christmas series by Donna VanLiere is awesome!

message 15: by Bernice (new)

Bernice Rocque | 2 comments Hello,
My author blog on Goodreads is called With the Seasons because I grew up in the country and my writing reflects that awareness. My novella, UNTIL THE ROBIN WALKS ON SNOW, has a chapter about the Lithuanian and Polish Christmas Eve traditions of my family. The story is about the birth of my uncle in 1922 weighing 1.5 pounds and the efforts of my family and the midwife to save him. The eBook is available TODAY, NOV 17, for free download. Love to know what you think. BLR

message 16: by Robert (last edited Nov 19, 2012 08:42PM) (new)

Robert Tabb (Robert_C_Tabb) | 1 comments Set in December of 1989, The Glass Collectors takes a look how a bunch of lost bets, a short-sighted plan, and a lifetime worth of bad luck conspire against eleven-year-old Emerson Watts. But as Emerson finds out, maybe someone's bad luck can be the miracle someone else needs.The Glass Collectors

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello,

Just a note letting you all know that my Christmas novels -- Clara Claus and Sugar Plum Dreams -- are on sale through Friday (the 23rd).

More info here: http://www.alexandralanc.com/news.html

Happy reading! :)

message 18: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Logan (SydneyLogan) Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you know that my Christmas short story is FREE today on Amazon Kindle! :) I'd love for you to check it out!

Thank you!

Mistletoe Magic on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

Mistletoe Magic on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AANCV4K

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina (kitchenwitch04) I missed it!! Oh well.....maybe next time = )

message 20: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Logan (SydneyLogan) Sorry, Tina. It's just .99 cents if you're still interested. :)

message 21: by Tina (new)

Tina (kitchenwitch04) thank you...I will check it out!

message 22: by katerina (new)

katerina (katerina-cz) | 1 comments My favorite Christmas ebook pack includes:
A Christmas Hamper, A Christmas morning, A Christmas Tree Fairy, A Snow Baby

message 23: by Bernice (last edited Oct 17, 2013 06:00PM) (new)

Bernice Rocque | 2 comments Until the Robin Walks on Snow by Bernice L. Rocque

The eBook of UNTIL THE ROBIN WALKS ON SNOW is FREE Friday and Saturday, Oct 18-19, on Amazon. Please take advantage if you wish to preview for holiday gift giving or if it is on your Goodreads "to read" list.

http://www.amazon.com/Until-Robin-Wal...

message 24: by Beate (new)

Beate | 3 comments This sweet romance is set on Long Island during Christmas Time. It involves a vet, a rock star, and a puppy :-)

Joanna is lost in a blizzard on her way home from a difficult foaling. Just one man can save her – but he’s strangely reluctant to come to her help.

http://amzn.to/YTXhE4
Stormy Times by Beate Boeker
Stormy Times

message 25: by Beate (new)

Beate | 3 comments Roberta wrote: "I can't believe my all-time favorite, "Winter Solstice" by Rosamund Pilcher, isn't already on this list!

So true! I have to re-read it!

message 26: by Beate (new)

Beate | 3 comments I love this Children's book and had to giggle so hard when I read it to my daughter. Theoretically, she was too old when we read it (11 years - I used it to teach her easy English), but the looks of utter disbelief which she gave me were hilarious.

Rover Saves Christmas
Rover Saves Christmas by Roddy Doyle

message 27: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (ColiloquyAimee) | 1 comments Season's Greetings, A Parish Mail Short by Kira Snyder is available this week for ONLY $0.99. https://buy.coliloquy.com/parishmails...

It's Christmas in New Orleans! Magic, romance, and holiday spirit -- of the ghostly variety -- are in the air as you help Celia race to solve a paranormal mystery before Christmas Day.

Season's Greetings, A Parish Mail Short by Kira Snyder

message 28: by Tara (last edited Dec 20, 2013 06:02PM) (new)

Tara I highly recommend this book it is a short book, vut is very well written and a heart warming story! I loved it! Christmas Guest by Jennifer Fowler

message 29: by John (new)

John Everson (JohnEverson) | 4 comments I'm normally known as a horror author, but I'm also a Christmas nut... and so over the years I've written and recorded Christmas songs as well as written contemporary fantasy Christmas stories. CHRISTMAS TALES collects three of those with some original lyrics and is just $1.99. I hope some readers will find it adds some warmth to their holiday season. It offers my own three “ghosts of Christmas” among its three stories celebrating the magic of the season, as well as the lyrics of four original holiday songs.

One Reader Review summed up the book like this:
"The best stories are those that stay with the reader long after the last page is read. The three tales in John Everson's CHRISTMAS TALES manage to convey the true meaning of the holidays while still remaining unique and imaginative. Poignant, moving, and just about near perfect, these are stories of ordinary and not-so-ordinary people searching for the spirit of Christmas and finding it in the unlikeliest of places."

You can find a copy on all the major bookstores, or on Amazon here.

You can also visit the John Everson Christmas Page on my website for a free original Christmas song I recorded with a band a few years ago -- "Show Me Christmas."

Merry Christmas!