Independent Question of the Day discussion

Books

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Nov 22, 2008 10:46PM) (new)

Michael Bouterse | 79 comments A combination of boredom plus the realization of the ironic fact that we're a forum on Goodreads without a dedicated forum to discuss books has caused me to create this thread.

To begin, I'd be quite curious, given the great quality of books on the list we had to choose from, what we all think of our outside reading books.

Oh, and by the way, I almost bought Anthem today. Sorry, Myke. But don't worry, I only eschewed because I prefer to patronize a library when I can.

message 2: by Myke (new)

Myke (SarahPalin) | 183 comments I read Huck Finn and enjoyed it very much. All the different dialects made the book very fun to read, because as I read I got to imitate each character in my head (I got a real kick out of that). I got so used to all of the different characters's voices that when I read other things in which verbs were properly conjugated, it seemed wrong. haha. I also really liked how Twain was basically like, "Here's my book. Take it or leave it." It didn't seem like trying to please people or anything... It was authentic and somewhat indulgent: two things that made the book great.
Mark Twain is a brilliant man.

P.S. I support that you are waiting to visit the library to get Anthem. I think it's a shame not to take advantage of our society's socialized services ;).

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Bouterse | 79 comments I go to the Tacoma Public Library just about every Saturday after symphony. It's a trove.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Bouterse | 79 comments I was going to read a splendid Thomas Mann novel but had to switch to The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck; the Mann looked terribly promising but terribly thick, and time was hard to come by.

Grapes was a really nice switch, though, for want of a gritty realism you just want to crawl inside of and live in. The dialect's splendid stuff. And the last chapter's really good.

message 5: by Jena (new)

Jena | 124 comments wow this thread didn't get very far...anyway.

I read The Colour Purple. It was pretty good, however it was very sad and deppressing. Atleast it had a fairly good ending. well yeah this is an old thread but i'm board so i thought i'd share that :)