iSchool UW discussion

Uses for goodreads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MissInformation (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:18AM) (new)

MissInformation | 3 comments I've been recommending this site to kids! They seem psyched to get their numbers up and are reading! Also, they are liking expressing their opinions (and so getting writing practice). And, I get to see their POV. So far it is win-win-win-win!

I've also been playing with how I could incorporate this idea into a library setting. Any thoughts on whether using a site like this, or creating one of your own would better?

message 2: by Mimo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:43AM) (new)

Mimo | 2 comments Great idea Deb! Actually, I had been thinking along the same lines. The only issue I see is privacy because all reviews can be seen by everyone as far as I know. But maybe they could work on that.

message 3: by Courtney (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Courtney | 1 comments Would anyone else be interested in sharing great booklists and themes they've developed in the their libraries? As I'm putting together YA displays and booklists, I've realized that I just can't keep up with everything being published... I'd love to draw on our collective reading!

message 4: by MissInformation (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

MissInformation | 3 comments I would be very interested in sharing info/doing a collborative project!

I'm not sure what would be useful, so I'm just throwing out some ideas:

-start a separate account or two, with shared access, that is a booklist we could recommend to kids and YAs

-pick some ALA etc. lists of mutual interest, and divvy them up for reading and reviews

-shoot for a review or two of recently published material a month, to share

-Themes? Here's one. My son wants a list of books to "stay 50 feet from at all times." I think it could be done tongue-in-cheek.... Maybe NF about really gross things, books that make you cry, banned topics, etc.

message 5: by MissInformation (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

MissInformation | 3 comments Oh- and I had a Q. Does anyone have a LibraryThing account? Some KCLS employees did it for tech training. I noticed it handles things a bit differently, and there are tons of groups. One drawback is they charge after 200 titles. But maybe there are ideas there. (I just visited, and they have an "Unsuggester" of books you probably wouldn't like, based on your reviews! Made me laugh.)

message 6: by Mimo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:53AM) (new)

Mimo | 2 comments Courtney and "Missinfo" and anyone else--

I'm totally interested in collaborating! I'm just now trying to wrap my head around keeping up with it all and would also love to capitalize on the collective brain.

D- your son's idea sounds like fun. It made me think of that new book "The Dangerous Book for Boys" plus I think it could be a good tie with this year's teen read week theme of LoL.

N

message 7: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Michelle (mmwyoung) | 1 comments sounds good...maybe more appropriate for a wiki though. either way, i'd love to participate.

message 8: by Kbuxton (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:59AM) (new)

Kbuxton | 1 comments Yes, I love LibraryThing.

message 9: by Gerry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Gerry | 1 comments Hi! I've just joined here, but had to comment.
I'm a KCLS librarian and learned about librarything in our Library 2.0 assignment.

I use librarything when we get a new picture book in and I want to use it for story time someday. I scan the isbn barcode and give it some tags of themes. It's pretty cool.
You could probably do that here too.

Then I have another librarything account that is fed into my blogspot storytime blog and it shows the books I'm reading that week:
www.heyread.blogspot.com