Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) Hatchet discussion

the book

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sally erm.. i'm not trying to be rude or anything but i actually didn't like this book. but i think that the vivid sentences are the only good points....hehe
you know, it was REALLY vivid... and disgusting, too..:-)

message 2: by asdfasdf (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

asdfasdf I never could, that's for sure!

I give him credit where credit is due, but gosh! The kid is SUCH A WHINER! And he gets a bit paranoid... creepy. Plus the whole mother/affair/devorce thing was just annoying and intrusive.

Summit City Lunch and Lit Ok... so here is the the story...
this is a work of fiction. Yes, this kid given his circumstances did a brilliant job of surviving, but this book was about so much more than survival. This book was about being greatful for what you have, and greatful for the gifts that God has provided for us in nature.

Think of how you, and the kid, felt when he dropped the hatchet in the lake... That was ALL he had! That was everything for him! Think of all the menutia in our society today. This kid's whole world was a HATCHET, and our kids today are complaining about how many texting minutes they have! I think that is a sad commentary.

As far as God providing for us... Think of how he felt when he was unloading the survival kit. It was bittersweet. He knew that he had learned how to survive in a very minimalist fasion with the things that god provided for him, and when the stuff of his former existence; packaged food, fishing gear, etc. came into his possession, he did not know if it was a good or bad thing.

I also think that it is poinient at the end that he never told his dad about his mother's affair. I think that this was just another way for him to be greatful for what he had... even if it was an imperfect situation.

I think that is was a simple little book that is easy to read and holds lots of important insights into human nature and behavior.

I loved it.

message 4: by Pandora (new)

Pandora I found Hatchet to be a fair book. It was a good story but, Paulsen's delivery was a bit too cold for me. I guess not my style. I would recommend it to kids who want a survival story. I did like Brian's Winter better. There was humor in that story which was missing in Hatchet.

Colin McHugh I am enjoying this book although after reading Brian's Return and Brian's Winter i am starting to get tired of the same theme. I think everyone can enjoy Paulson's books. I went from reading the Percy Jackson series to how to eat fried worms to this. I feel like i'm in the book. I catch myself grimacing wile reading felling Brian's pain. At school while reading when my teacher tells us readings over sometimes I don't hear her because i'm so into my book. I loved it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

It was a quite good book, but like others I can agree it would have been made better with romance!

Cassie Read my review from my books. Please!!!

Jenna W great book!

Alex if this book had romance i would puke my guts out it isnt the bachlorete he is looking for love he is trying to survive

message 10: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy M. this book was good but it was really boring i mean the story line was good. it just lacked alot of action that i figured it would have when i went to read it

message 11: by Jack (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack The book is amazing it is my favorite book. The part were Brian gets spraied by a skunk. The Action is great and the sory line is the best. That is what I like. I don't about you?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed it... It's really well written and interesting!

message 13: by Sid (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sid It's amazing...this book's really caught up my attention...although it's generally quite lazy, but still the story was very smooth.