Around the World in 80 Books discussion

ATW in 80 Books World Challenge > Courtney is racking up frequent flyer miles!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Courtney (last edited Dec 31, 2012 04:37PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments COMPLETED COUNTRIES: 80
REGIONS: 8

EUROPE

Switzerland Heaven Has No Favorites
Portugal The Night in Lisbon
England Forever Amber
Russia Child 44
Czech Republic Someone Named Eva
Vatican City The Sinner's Grand Tour: A Journey Through the Historical Underbelly of Europe
Germany City of Shadows
Iceland Silence of the Grave
Poland Skeletons at the Feast
Greece D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths
Austria The Fig Eater
Hungary The Secret Speech
France A Very Long Engagement
Slovakia The Good Soldier Švejk
Ukraine The Fixer
Ireland In The Woods
Lithuania Between Shades of Gray
Romania The Appointment
Spain Incantation
Wales Fall of Giants
Norway Hunger
Estonia Purge
Italy The Free World
Latvia The Dogs of Riga
Scotland The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: A Drama in Three Acts
Bosnia & Herzegovina The Cellist of Sarajevo
Sweden Mind's Eye
The Netherlands Anne Frank: The Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography
Finland The Summer Book
Slovenia Veronika Decides to Die

ASIA

China Pavilion of Women
Hong Kong Dragon Bones
India East of the Sun: A Novel
Japan The Commoner
Philippines When the Elephants Dance
South Korea The New Year
Vietnam The Things They Carried
Nepals Sold
Indonesia The Red Dancer: The Life and Times of Mata Hari
North Korea A Corpse in the Koryo
Burma Saving Fish from Drowning
Thailand The Moon in the Mango Tree
Mongolia Book of a Thousand Days
Kazakhstan Woman in Exile: My Life in Kazakhstan
Azerbaijan Ali and Nino: A Love Story

AFRICA

Botswana Morality for Beautiful Girls
Kenya The Winter Rose
Angola Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595
Nigeria On Black Sisters Street
Tanzania The African Queen
South Africa A Beautiful Place to Die
Congo (DRC) Heart of Darkness
Algeria The Stranger
Libya The Shadows of Ghadames
Zimbabwe When a Crocodile Eats the Sun: A Memoir of Africa
Egypt The Heretic Queen
Namibia Daniel
Morocco The Alchemist
Gabon Tropic Moon

OCEANIA

Australia Cocaine Blues
New Zealand The Wives of Henry Oades

NORTH AMERICA

America One for the Money
Mexico The Last Prince of the Mexican Empire
Canada Children of the Frost

CARIBBEAN

Haiti Island Beneath the Sea

THE MIDDLE EAST

Israel Jephte's Daughter
Turkey Not Even My Name
Syria The Sandcastle Girls
Afghanistan Agent 6
Yemen I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced
Pakistan Under the Persimmon Tree
Saudi Arabia Finding Nouf

LATIN AMERICA

Peru The Bridge of San Luis Rey
Colombia Tales from the Town of Widows: A Novel
Ecuador The Queen of Water
Bolivia I Am a Taxi
Argentina The Disappeared
Uruguay The Invisible Mountain
Venezuela The Missionary
Brazil Journey to the River Sea

message 2: by Courtney (last edited Feb 17, 2012 09:09PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments We're starting of with a tale of pre-wwii China with the fabulous book

Pavilion of Women by Pearl S. Buck Pavilion of Women by Pearl S. Buck

message 3: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 11864 comments Welcome to the challenge, Courtney!

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments thanks!

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments Actually my first country conquered isn't China, but the African nation of Botswana, I just finished

Morality for Beautiful Girls (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series #3) by Alexander McCall Smith Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith

message 6: by Courtney (last edited Feb 15, 2012 02:45PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments Still reading Pavilion of Women, but I'm about to finish two books that I'm currently reading but started at the beginning of January.

Heaven Has No Favorites by Erich Maria Remarque Heaven Has No Favorites by Erich Maria Remarque the first half is set in SWITZERLAND so when I finish it I will label it as such

my second almost completed book is

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor it's set in Restoration England, a long book clocking in at 900 something page. I actually really like this despite its size and cheesy passionate romances (Cities actually banned the sale of this book when it came out in 1944 because many people thought it was indecent)

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I read another Remarque set all over Europe, but the framing story for the narration took place in Lisbon, Portugal where I'm assigning it.

The Night in Lisbon by Erich Maria Remarque The Night in Lisbonby Erich Maria Remarque

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I just finished The Pavilion Of Women

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments Child 44 I checked out in December but didn't finish it in my 3 weeks. Went back to the library and re-checked it out. I finished it last night and with that I've tacked down the largest country in the world: Russia.

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I'm currently reading a nonfiction "travel guide"/ "history report", one section of the book deals with Vatican City. When I finish it I will label it under Vatican City

The Sinner's Grand Tour A Journey Through the Historical Underbelly of Europe by Tony Perrottet The Sinner's Grand Tour: A Journey Through the Historical Underbelly of Europe by Tony Perrottet

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments just finished Forever Amber

message 12: by Courtney (last edited Jan 29, 2012 04:47PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments Finished The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

The majority of this doorstop takes place in England, but the last third takes place in Kenya.

message 13: by Courtney (last edited Jan 30, 2012 03:03PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments it only took me a day to read Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf by Joan M. Wolf a story about a Czech girl during the Nazi rule

message 14: by Courtney (last edited Feb 07, 2012 09:38PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments Only one more Chapter of The Grand Sinner's Tour

I've been reading two other novels, both of which I'm almost finished

India
East of the Sun A Novel by Julia Gregson East of the Sun: A Novel by Julia Gregson

Germany
City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin City of Shadows byAriana Franklin

message 15: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments triple finish

message 16: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments finished the short yet enjoyable Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) by Kerry Greenwood Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood
Ms. Greenwood was born and raised outside Melbourne, so all her books are set there

message 17: by Dina (new)

Dina Goluza | 96 comments Courtney wrote: "I read another Remarque set all over Europe, but the framing story for the narration took place in Lisbon, Portugal where I'm assigning it.

The Night in Lisbon by Erich Maria Remarque[book:The Night i..."

Do you like this book? I plan it for my Portugal reading.

message 18: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments Oh I loved it. Really only about every other chapter is set in Lisbon as a nice framing device to a story being told about escaping from Nazi Germany. I loved it though, the writing and emotions are superb.

message 19: by Dina (new)

Dina Goluza | 96 comments Thank you. I decide that it will be my book for Portugal .

message 20: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I just finished Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3) by Lisa See Dragon Bones by Lisa See. For the most part it is set in mainland China, however they do go to Hong Kong for a few chapters.

message 21: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I read the Royal Diaries series as a child, but I found it again at the library and checked a few out. I won't be using any for my challenge because they're all like 70 pages long. However Angola is a pretty obscure country in literature, and this book was listed on our Angola list.

Nzingha Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 (The Royal Diaries) by Patricia C. McKissack Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595 by Patricia C. McKissack

message 22: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I finished and reviewed On Black Sisters Street, a novel about four prostitutes living in Belgium. Even though the present day takes place in Belgium, not much about the country in seen or talked about. The real action takes place in Nigeria through vivid flashbacks.

On Black Sisters Street by Chika Unigwe On Black Sisters Street by Chika Unigwe

message 23: by Courtney (last edited Feb 21, 2012 02:48PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I've been so busy with my round the world expedition that I've forgotten my own backyard. I knew that I've read books based in America, but I hadn't listed them

So my official selection
is

One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

message 24: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I finished The Commoner, set in Japan. It explores the life of the Imperial family after WW11 when they had to pretty much admit that they weren't divine.

The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz The Commoner by John Burnham Schwartz

message 25: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I'm getting very close to finishing two books. I expect to finish them tomorrow hopefully!

Tanzania (then known as German East Africa)

The African Queen by C.S. Forester The African Queen by C.S. Forester

Poland (when this book takes place it is technically a part of Germany)

Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian Skeletons at the Feast byChris Bohjalian

message 26: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I've finished both of these fine novels, next I think I'll be traveling to Asia and the Middle East

message 27: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments Whew, after about a week I've finally traveled to the Caribbean with

Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende

I'm sad that I didn't get the chance to read this when it was our group read.

message 28: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments Working my way through two European mysteries right now, one is set in Iceland the other in Austria

message 29: by Courtney (last edited Mar 07, 2012 11:43AM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I read

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri D'Aulaire D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths byIngri D'Aulaire

with my sister last night, I hadn't read it since I was elementary school!

message 30: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I went up north to Iceland, I really never thought about an island in the arctic circle being populated by people who lead normal lives.

Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indriðason Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indriðason

message 31: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I stayed up pretty late to finish

The Fig Eater by Jody Shields The Fig Eater by Jody Shields

message 32: by Courtney (last edited Mar 15, 2012 02:55PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I just finished the sequel to Child 44
The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith

I thought that the entire book would be set in Russia, but the second half is set in Soviet occupied Hungary

message 33: by Courtney (last edited Mar 18, 2012 09:10PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I've finally ventured into the Middle East with

Jephte's Daughter by Naomi Ragen Jephte's Daughter Naomi Ragen

message 34: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I have gone into Latin America finally with the great Pulitzer Prize winning

The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder

message 36: by Courtney (last edited Mar 29, 2012 07:43PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I went back to Asia with a jaunt into the post war South Korea of the 1960's

The New Year by Pearl S. Buck The New Year by Pearl S. Buck

message 37: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments By the way I have traveled to eight regions, yet my reader board is stuck at seven

message 38: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 11864 comments Courtney wrote: "By the way I have traveled to eight regions, yet my reader board is stuck at seven"

I will fix that. Thank you for letting me know.

message 39: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments My first re-read for this challenge.

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

It has got to be one of the best books (or should I say collection of short stories) I've ever read. I've read this book three times and I took it to a particularly long play rehearsal just to read it a fourth time. My favorites stories are "The Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong" and "The Lives of the Dead". Mr O'Brien is one of the best storytellers I've ever read> I don't know when the polls close, but I really want to read this for the groups Asia pick.

message 40: by Courtney (last edited Apr 02, 2012 05:38PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments Well I'm back off to Africa again today. Just finished this mystery set in 1950's South Africa.

A Beautiful Place to Die by Malla Nunn A Beautiful Place to Die by Malla Nunn

message 41: by Courtney (last edited Apr 02, 2012 05:38PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I just finish the classic

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

I loved this book. I read it in English class, all of my classmates hated it.

message 42: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I've been so busy these past few weeks, but I did manage to read an old YA book of mine.

The Disappeared by Gloria Whelan The Disappeared by Gloria Whelan

It takes place in Argentina during the "dirty war". It isn't my favorite Whelan book (that would be Burying the Sun my favorite childhood book)

message 43: by Courtney (last edited Apr 18, 2012 06:55PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments Another YA reread, up until a few years ago I only read YA. On of the better books I read was

Sold by Patricia McCormick Sold by Patricia McCormick

It mostly takes place in the closed world of an Indian brothel but before her father sell her, the main character Lakshmi grows up in a village in Nepal

message 44: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments Finally France!

A Very Long Engagement by Sébastien Japrisot A Very Long Engagement by Sébastien Japrisot

it was really good!

message 45: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I just finished April's book

The Invisible Mountain by Carolina De Robertis The Invisible Mountain by Carolina De Robertis

message 46: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I traveled to North Korea with

A Corpse in the Koryo (Inspector O, #1) by James Church A Corpse in the Koryo by James Church

message 47: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I went to Thailand back when it was still called Siam with

The Moon in the Mango Tree by Pamela Binnings Ewen The Moon in the Mango Tree by Pamela Binnings Ewen

message 48: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I just finished the satirical (and 750 page long)

The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hašek The Good Soldier Švejk by Jaroslav Hašek

This 1920's satire about Czechs in the first world war takes the titular character all around Czechloslovakia, Hungary and Poland. I've already read a book for the Czech Republic and some of this novel takes part in the Slovakia part of the country.

message 49: by Courtney (last edited May 19, 2012 09:23PM) (new)

Courtney | 120 comments well I just finished the biographical novel

The Red Dancer The Life and Times of Mata Hari by Richard Skinner The Red Dancer: The Life and Times of Mata Hari byRichard Skinner

Margetha Zelle, later known as the infamous Mata Hari spends her married life in the Dutch East Indies, known known as Indonesia

message 50: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 120 comments I just finished

The Wives of Henry Oades by Johanna Moran The Wives of Henry Oades by Johanna Moran

set in New Zealand

« previous 1 3